Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

WE ARE GOING TO STAY UP

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="ricardo"]I think you only have to see the lack of unrest at CR after a set of results far worse than anything Hughton served up to see that I am right. There was booing from a long way out a couple of years back but almost nothing yet for AN and I don''t really anticipate that there is much danger of it at present. Unless the crowd have mellowed in that two years, which seems highly unlikely to me, then I can only suppose that many people are quite prepared to accept the poor results as long as there is a bit of decent football. Yes we have played with a bit more verve and style than in the Hughton years but if Premiership survival is the ultimate prize then its hard to argue that we are any further down that road.[/quote]Maybe Ricardo, people have seen the real prospect of relegation coming for some time and are prepared to accept what they see as the inevitable, regardless of the quality of the football?[/quote]My point in a nutshell Bob and if that is what the majority are calling for then that is what McNally and the Board have to provide. We are happy with our yoyo existence and seem to prefer it to any attempt to turn us into a survival club. Hughton tried but got sacked because they said his style wasn''t the Norwich City way when in all honesty it was because the results dried up. We want to be like Southamton and Swansea who both initially stayed up with a bit of style. The West Broms, Stokes and Palaces might very well stay up but not with the style that the majority of CR seem to crave but in the end they will probably survive longer than those who try to play the big boys at their own game.[/quote]I don''t buy this argument at all, ricardo. There is a great difference between people being "happy" with being a yo-yo club, which implies some kind of liking for the situation, or even a demand for it, and realistically accepting our pauper status makes it almost inevitable. I see very little or none of the former and much of the latter.And if there are posters who say they don''t mind us going down provided we at least provide some entertainment most do not mean they would prefer that to staying up while playing boring football. They would prefer we stayed up, but if relegation is near inevitable we might as well go down with some style rather than getting the worst of both worlds. As we had with that Saunders season I am sure you remember.The vast majority of football fans, and I doubt we are any different, want to see their team winning, and how that is achieved is secondary. NCFC fans might says they wouldn''t want to watch us under Pulis, for example, but if that happened, and we won matches, they would be quite content. We hardly played purist football under Worthington but no-one cared, while he was winning.

It''s not over but think that yesterday''s game and the circumstances (17 th v 18th) is one that teams that are going to survive would win. Probably we won''t survive. But if it is Championship football next year it makes little difference to me because there are more important things in life.

We could have: 1. Brexit 2. Trump as US president and 3. Return of local derbies and the chance to be truly competitive again. Those first two possibilities are far worse in my opinion!

[quote user="ricardo"]I have my doubts as to whether we would repeat our immediate promotion again under the current management team if necessary.  [/quote]It will be tough to bounce back up again. Naismith, Klose, Redmond & Brady will all be off. Mbokani, Wisdom & Bamford will return to their parent clubs.Martin, Hoolahan, Bassong, O''Neil are getting past their bestAnd it''s debateable that without spending a big chunk of the parachute payment, the most of the others that remain are good enough.On the plus side, we will have RVW back [;)]

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ricardo"]I have my doubts as to whether we would repeat our immediate promotion again under the current management team if necessary.  [/quote]It will be tough to bounce back up again. Naismith, Klose, Redmond & Brady will all be off. Mbokani, Wisdom & Bamford will return to their parent clubs.Martin, Hoolahan, Bassong, O''Neil are getting past their bestAnd it''s debateable that without spending a big chunk of the parachute payment, the most of the others that remain are good enough.On the plus side, we will have RVW back [;)][/quote]Every silver lining has a cloud.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ricardo"]I have my doubts as to whether we would repeat our immediate promotion again under the current management team if necessary.  [/quote]It will be tough to bounce back up again. Naismith, Klose, Redmond & Brady will all be off. Mbokani, Wisdom & Bamford will return to their parent clubs.Martin, Hoolahan, Bassong, O''Neil are getting past their bestAnd it''s debateable that without spending a big chunk of the parachute payment, the most of the others that remain are good enough.On the plus side, we will have RVW back [;)][/quote]Every silver lining has a cloud.[/quote]Just for the record Making Plans, I wrote that not Ricardo...............[:)]

[quote user="sonyc"]It''s not over but think that yesterday''s game and the circumstances (17 th v 18th) is one that teams that are going to survive would win. Probably we won''t survive. But if it is Championship football next year it makes little difference to me because there are more important things in life.

We could have: 1. Brexit 2. Trump as US president and 3. Return of local derbies and the chance to be truly competitive again. Those first two possibilities are far worse in my opinion![/quote]

This is supposed to be a football messageboard not a political one.

But then if as I suspect Delia & Ed want to stay in the EU that''s one reason to Vote Leave.

You can add Ruddy or Rudd to that list. Rudd won''t want to play 2nd fiddle to JR much longer, so we''ll need a keeper as well.I would be surprised if Pinto stays.Tony Andreu might even get a look in.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Just for the record Making Plans, I wrote that not Ricardo...............[:)][/quote]Yes, I was aware of that immediately after I posted it - too many quotes in one post so I just got the old "quote" options muddled up and I couldn''t find the edit button [;)]Apologies to both although it looks like Ricardo didn''t spot it

[quote user="ricardo"]Every silver lining has a cloud.[/quote]Well, you could argue that he''s no worse than the strikers we''ve got

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="OldRobert"]Just for the record Making Plans, I wrote that not Ricardo...............[:)][/quote]Yes, I was aware of that immediately after I posted it - too many quotes in one post so I just got the old "quote" options muddled up and I couldn''t find the edit button [;)]Apologies to both although it looks like Ricardo didn''t spot it[/quote]Edit button!!...........blimey, now you are asking.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"]There were many on here a few weeks back saying that they were quite happy losing 4-5 to Liverpool and would rather go down all guns blazing. It''s a valid viewpoint I guess but not one that I hold. I am very much of the Ron Saunders school who put the result and the points before anything else. If we win I''m happy, if we lose I''m not and all the good football in the world won''t change that.
[/quote]

Amen to that.

I think that arguments staying that we are definitely staying up are a little optimistic but to say that we are definitely going down is also too pessimistic. There are still a lot of points to play for and some games that we have to consider "winnable."Obviously our current form is highly discouraging but surely at some point it has to change... surely (pretty please). Even then, of course there is no guarantee that either Sunderland or Newcastle won''t do the same. We are one of three sides that are most likely to go down, with an outside chance that someone like Palace could get sucked into it with a disastrous late run. I think are chances of staying up are reasonably about 1 in 3.

[quote user="Graham Paddon''s Beard"]

[quote user="ricardo"]There were many on here a few weeks back saying that they were quite happy losing 4-5 to Liverpool and would rather go down all guns blazing. It''s a valid viewpoint I guess but not one that I hold. I am very much of the Ron Saunders school who put the result and the points before anything else. If we win I''m happy, if we lose I''m not and all the good football in the world won''t change that.[/quote]

Amen to that.

Just for once I''d like to enjoy the sports section of the Sunday''s.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"]There were many on here a few weeks back saying that they were quite happy losing 4-5 to Liverpool and would rather go down all guns blazing.[/quote]Don''t think we really have much choice. Our defence is so poor, we cannot keep a clean sheet, even when we set up to defend (e.g. Chelsea)Our best chance of winning is by trying to out score the opposition. The trouble with that is that we can''t score enough.

[quote user="If wed only kept Howie.."]We are staying up.

9 games is a lot of games to only make up 1 point![/quote]Very good point, well made[Y]

We are staying up.

9 games is a lot of games to only make up 1 point!
So you are banking on both Sunderland and Newcastle getting no more points between now & the end of the season then

We do have a chance of staying up but it worries me that the club doesn''t have the will to do everything it can to maximise our chances.

AN should have gone weeks ago but the decision is a difficult and unpalatable one that neither the board nor the fans seem prepared to take. As that is the situation then our chances remain very slim (imo)

[quote user="Making Plans"]We are staying up.

9 games is a lot of games to only make up 1 point!
So you are banking on both Sunderland and Newcastle getting no more points between now & the end of the season then[/quote]No one is banking on anything.But despite our truly awful run, we are just one point from safety, which says as much about how awful Newcastle and Sunderland are too.Why is everyone assuming it will be Sunderland that will make the last minute run to see them to safety, why not us?Just because Sunderland have done it in a previous season?They have a much worse run in than we have.

The Adam Johnson malarky could be a factor. They''re getting lots of flack about letting him still play and they might take they''re eye off the ball.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="If wed only kept Howie.."]We are staying up.

9 games is a lot of games to only make up 1 point![/quote]Very good point, well made[Y][/quote] Its not 1 point though is it , Newcastle play Sunderland  whatever the result it will be bad for City meaning in reality the gap is 2,3 or 4 points .

Sunderland have also got WBA at home before they play us. It would be handy if they got a 10 pts deduction for fielding a perve.

There is still enough time for us to turn this around, we have had one good run and there is no reason what so ever why we can''t go on another one.

I see no signs of the " manager has lost the dressing room" stuff. the real fans that go to games are still supporting the manager even though they don''t necessarily agree with every decision he makes. There is still a good spirit and anything is possible.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]There is still enough time for us to turn this around, we have had one good run and there is no reason what so ever why we can''t go on another one.

I see no signs of the " manager has lost the dressing room" stuff. the real fans that go to games are still supporting the manager even though they don''t necessarily agree with every decision he makes. There is still a good spirit and anything is possible.[/quote][Y] [Y]