Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

The positives and the negatives

What I''ve noticed in recent weeks is the massive hypocrisy on show from both the pant wetters and the happy clappers.

On one side you have the negative people, people who predicted us to be relegated at the start of the season and predict us to lose on a more frequent basis than the norm (though who could blame them at this moment in time..). What I find startling is that these people, despite predicting us to do poorly, still bemoan the club and try to find a guilty party for their finger to be pointed at. Which doesn''t really make sense or actually even seem fair to the club.

Essjayess, for example, predicted pre season (very proudly) a 34 point final tally for us and yet was calling for Neil''s head around the time of the West Ham game - despite us being on course to actually overachieve his expectation!

At the other end of the scale we have the positive people, the people who expected another season of Lambert-esque invincibility, the people who expect us to win much more often then we actually do and those who are proud to be wearing their yellow and green specs. By the same token of the above, why aren''t these same people massively disappointed when we don''t achieve (or even come close) to what they had predicted?

LDC, I recall, in Hughton''s second season, very boldly predicted us to finish 6th, what followed was frankly disastrous and yet he remained behind Hughton until the very end. Despite us gaining probably around half as many points as he would''ve predicted us to be on.

The 2 examples above are not red herrings, this same contradiction is visible in almost every poster - if you can be bothered to check back.. It''d be interesting to hear from both sides on this one - can you justify your own hypocrisy?

The problem is though most of us a inconsistent in our thought process.....

I can change my mind from hour to hour let alone day by day or month by month

Personally I believe Alex Neil to be flawed, I dont see him as a good man manager, I dont believe he has the group bonded in the same way others have achieved and yes he makes mistakes with team selection and set up.

However I certainly dont want him sacked......I do believe he is passionate, learning fast and I see the pain in his face week in week out when giving those post match interviews.

He just like each and everyone of us in the stands he kicks every ball and makes every tackle along with our hereo''s on the pitch.....

Given time and a little patience from the faithful he could be the next Ron Saunders, Ken Brown or Mike Walker ?

Yes, I remember saying in that season that 6th place was possible and that we should aim high, but that is not a "prediction" it is just stating what is possible.  As you mentioned me in particular, I''ll tell you what I think - positive people will always try and see things in a positive light even when things get difficult because that is the way they want to be - and from personal experience I have found that it is the best way to see things. So to me there is no hypocrisy - even relegation can have it''s positive side and a positive person will in all situations try to see positive things.