Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

Why can't Delia and Co find a wealthy investor for a club that has spent 4 of the last 5 seasons in the prem..

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

I don''t know, but I''m willing to admit it and not make stuff up about someone 

[/quote]

I''m not what exactly is made up, but all those questions are asked because I don''t know either, that''s why I and many like me ask ''em.  If you don''t think any of those questions are valid you are of course entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.
[/quote]

" didn''t say it was important in any way, I pointed it out as fact.  It also shows the way this club of ours constitutes it''s board where there is no longer even a successful business person on it,"

These are words that you typed when you have admitted that you don''t know whether he is successful or not, that''s called making stuff up.

[/quote]

If you want to be pedantic, you accused me of making things up, I said I didn''t know what I was supposed to have made up.  You didn''t answer that as you didn''t answer any of the questions to do with Delia''s nephew.  You don''t know if he is successful or not, so stop pretending you do.  If your sole object on a cold Monday is to pick an argument with me, fine but frankly it does seem rather petty even for the pink''un.
[/quote]

So you are saying that it''s true that there are no successful business people on the board of NCFC but you don''t have any proof, I have been completely honest with you by saying that I don''t know the answer to you many questions, all you have to do is prove that the statement that I have quoted from you is correct and you''ll be able to haul back some credibility.

My sole objective is to seek the truth, can you provide it?

Mr. M. wrote:

"But if we do get relegated, we''ll all still support Norwich City, and keep going to the games, will we not?

Norwich City will continue to exist, with or without the Premiership."

That''s a given and the Chumps ''aint all that bad, or the end of existence as we know it (although some Tractor Boys might disagree,) but all this is not incompatible with a strong wish to see us continue to be a Premier League club and a desire to discuss and wish for alternative measures which would halt our current yo-yo existence.

An existence which, in it''s self, could easily deteriorate into a lengthy spell in the Championship along side them downstairs.

Mr Apples I think you''re partly right about being supporters of the PL but in truth it comes down to money. And it appears that through the soap opera that surrounds the game money is the great motivator of all the protagonists. Owners, managers, players and fans. But if you take a step back and look at the last 10 years you will see the shifting sands of the money chase. Very few clubs have established themselves in the PL. Most of the ones fans were jealous of during this period are left licking their wounds in debt outside the PL. With fans who were once waving the tenners at others now demanding another owner with fresh money to squander.

We are lucky because Delia is not motivated by money. She is motivated by the fans and the community surrounding the club. Those things will be there forever. What better custodian could we have?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Mr. M. wrote:

"But if we do get relegated, we''ll all still support Norwich City, and keep going to the games, will we not?

Norwich City will continue to exist, with or without the Premiership."

That''s a given and the Chumps ''aint all that bad, or the end of existence as we know it (although some Tractor Boys might disagree,) but all this is not incompatible with a strong wish to see us continue to be a Premier League club and a desire to discuss and wish for alternative measures which would halt our current yo-yo existence.

An existence which, in it''s self, could easily deteriorate into a lengthy spell in the Championship along side them downstairs.[/quote]I doubt that very much, our financial position would have to implode spectacularly to end up in the debt they are in!

M:-

"I doubt that very much, our financial position would have to implode spectacularly to end up in the debt they are in!"

I was really referring to the possibility of a sustained period in the Chumps, rather than comparing the two clubs financially.

Having said that, a few years down there and we''ll no longer be debt-free.

Inevitably, there are a few posts following a similar theme to this one - who is to blame for our position and undeniable lack of form? the owners, the board and executives, the manager and coaching staff, the players?

This season, probably above any other, is probably the season to make an investment to stay in the PL, and all the riches that entails. But, of course, that investment is a risk.

The owners will dictate the financial level of risk - currently the club is a very "safe" club, financially speaking. We have rarely dug deep to go out and get "names" (as in players or indeed as managers) and can be seen as taking the cheap option on occasion. We have either punched above or below our weight, but always with a level of financial security in recent years.

If we look at the incoming and outgoing players over the last season, the cost to NCFC has been manageable, and if all failed would still be well within the means of the club.

We have an amazing percentage of ST holders v the ground capacity, add on the supporters with membership, then the regulars who buy tickets in hope of getting to the game and finally the casual supporters who just attend if/when they can - it''s no wonder we get 27k plus every home match, we would get that in the Championship and would get 25k+ in league 1.

Why then, is there any desire to take a risk of personal money, when the club will still be playing football, getting decent crowds and still be financially secure regardless of the league we may be in.

I have little doubt that Delia et al genuinely love the club, I also have little doubt that there is a bit of kudos owning the club, but I have no doubt at this stage of the owners lives, that NCFC is being run as a business venture with little appetite for risk.

I am very aware of how a business needs to be run, and prudence is certainly a requisite of any owner - however, the problem I have, is this business happens to be a football club, and that is a completely different ball game (pun intended).

Owning a football club does bring responsibilities to others apart from the shareholders, executive etc, not least the fan base and the institution that a club like NCFC is.

When someone takes on a club, they know exactly what that entails, and it means the potential to have deep pockets and sometimes having to reach into them. It goes with the job.

I have great admiration for Delia, Michael and others for what they have done in the past (don''t need to list all that out), but there does come a time when the interests of the club have to be put above personal interest, and right now I don''t think that is happening.

Traditionally, as owners head into their twilight years, it is natural to consolidate a healthy balance sheet and realise the maximum potential when it comes to sell - it''s normal business practice. Problem is, this is not a normal business.

So, to answer the OP, I am not convinced there is a desire to find an investor at this stage. In my opinion, a year or two in the Championship with the possibility of getting another run at the PL would sit very nicely, and the value of NCFC would continue to be very stable - and very saleable, as there would be no debt to satisfy for any purchaser.

I will watch NCFC whichever league we may be in, but I want us playing at the highest possible level, competing for places in Europe and having our club exposed to a worldwide audience - and while I (and many, many thousands of NCFC supporters) continue to pay ever increasing amounts of money for tickets, travel, hotels etc to watch the club, I believe I have right to expect that level of competition.

I started my days standing in the River End, so I have experienced many ups and downs with the club - but I also know that, like it or not (and mostly I don''t), times have changed and football has changed with it - we need to change also.

Agree with you there Nutty.

Just out of idle curiosity, a question for those seeking investment...So how much are you looking for exactly and from whom?

Apples

How much do these financial backers put into the budgets of clubs per year? It seems to be enough to make a difference at clubs like Chelsea and Man City, but what kind of boost does it give at a team like Stoke?

"We are lucky because Delia is not motivated by money. She is motivated by the fans and the community surrounding the club. Those things will be there forever. What better custodian could we have?"

NN/ Mr. M.

"What better custodian could we have?" asks NN.

Well, we could have an oil-rich sheik who falls in love with the Club, invests billions, decks his camels in yellow and green and parks them outside a 50, 000 all-seater Carrow Road, buys up Riverside and pays for the restoration of the Cathedral, whilst building a mosque next to it.

Yes. Horrible thoughts and I joke, but I, nevertheless, am beginning to think that the blinkered faith of you two stalwarts of our Club and this Forum (50, 000+ post between you) although highly admirable is in grave danger of becoming blind faith

A blind faith whereby all hint of any variation from support of The Cause, any suggestion of a criticism of the Club or the way it is run, any downbeat reaction to our current plight or any suggestion of changes to the current comfortable status quo. is put down with with a scathing disdain and no little hint regarding the true supporting credentials of the protagonists.

Don''t get me wrong, I too requiesce in my happy clappiness but even I realise that there has to be a limit to my optimism. A point whereby this becomes defeatism in it''s self? A degree of settling for second best? Little ''Ol Norwich and all that?

All is not right in the state of Norwich City and living in denial of this is unrealistic and somewhat naive.

Things could be better at Carrow Road. It has become an obvious.There are glaring inadequacies throughout that see us staring relegation in the face .... once again.

Perhaps that is our lot but, with our basic goal surely being Premier League survival, accepting our lot without a grumble or two means accepting failure. Apologist-ism (?) in it''s worst form.

Continually comparing us with the plight of 1p5wich Towen is in it''s self an admission of failure.

As unrealistic as it might seem we should be comparing ourselves with Leceister or West Ham.

[quote user="93vintage"]How much do these financial backers put into the budgets of clubs per year? It seems to be enough to make a difference at clubs like Chelsea and Man City, but what kind of boost does it give at a team like Stoke?[/quote]There is a longer-term off-field financial point as well as on-field backing. We are one of the very few clubs in the Premier League who have not either moved to an improved (and often bigger) stadium, or (as with Spurs) are planning such a move, or have not recently increased capacity or (as with Crystal Palace and their mega-investment) are planning to do so and have the finance.One of the commonest mistaken mantras is that in the Premier League the TV money means the revenue from ticket sales is unimportant. If that was the case so many clubs would not have spent so much increasing capacity.On the contrary, since everyone gets the TV money (and this particularly applies to us, since we get less than most) the increased revenue from ticket sales, with the accompanying rise in revenue from catering and commercial, can make a significant difference. But such schemes, with their long-term benefits, cost pots of money. Palace have said their new investment means they can bring their redevelopment plans for Selhurst Park forward 10 years. Lucky Palace.

[quote user="93vintage"]How much do these financial backers put into the budgets of clubs per year? It seems to be enough to make a difference at clubs like Chelsea and Man City, but what kind of boost does it give at a team like Stoke?[/quote]
According to the Guardian the Stoke owners put £15m into the club in 2014, taking their total loans to the club to £57m. It''s certainly not mega-bucks, but maybe it''s enough to make a difference.

"According to the Guardian the Stoke owners put £15m into the club in 2014, taking their total loans to the club to £57m. It''s certainly not mega-bucks, but maybe it''s enough to make a difference."

Exactly, and now that they know that next years''s tv bonanza is safe they can begin to plan further investment in the team and go from strength to strength.

We have, thus far, been unable to be expansive in the market because our future status is always uncertain. That is destined to be our lot it would seem.

Even the supposed £20m spend in the last window was largely financed by sales.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]I''m not what exactly is made up, but all those questions are asked because I don''t know either, that''s why I and many like me ask ''em.  If you don''t think any of those questions are valid you are of course entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.[/quote]

" didn''t say it was important in any way, I pointed it out as fact.  It also shows the way this club of ours constitutes it''s board where there is no longer even a successful business person on it,"

These are words that you typed when you have admitted that you don''t know whether he is successful or not, that''s called making stuff up.

[/quote]If you want to be pedantic, you accused me of making things up, I said I didn''t know what I was supposed to have made up.  You didn''t answer that as you didn''t answer any of the questions to do with Delia''s nephew.  You don''t know if he is successful or not, so stop pretending you do.  If your sole object on a cold Monday is to pick an argument with me, fine but frankly it does seem rather petty even for the pink''un.[/quote]

So you are saying that it''s true that there are no successful business people on the board of NCFC but you don''t have any proof, I have been completely honest with you by saying that I don''t know the answer to you many questions, all you have to do is prove that the statement that I have quoted from you is correct and you''ll be able to haul back some credibility.

[/quote]

You cannot begin to compare the experience (business wise) between Alan Bowkett and Tom Smith:

After studying for a Masters degree in engineering in Liverpool he

moved into the civil service. That career lasted for more than a decade,

with roles in the Ministry of Defence, the Cabinet Office and the

Foreign and Commonwealth Office, including time in Afghanistan.

He

said: “The real benefit of a career in the civil service is the variety

and experiences it exposes you to. You learn how to make robust

decisions in challenging circumstances.”

Having moved to Norfolk

in 2007, before his job took him to Canberra in Australia, Mr Smith then

set up his own photographic company and is in the process of moving

back to Norfolk with his wife Alice - who also supports the Canaries.

That is precisely what I meant by ''successful'', years of experience against a few.  Maybe your definition of success is different from mine, mine is built on years of ups and downs and coming through difficult times to better times.

Anyway, you believe what you want to believe, as I will which is we now have a much weaker board which is indulging in nepotism, and as a club we will never move forward under the present setup.  I have been a supporter since the late ''50s, so like several on here I''ve seen it all too and while we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Delia and Michael, I sincerely believe it''s time to move on to the next era.

Purple and Peanuts - I''d say that investment helps most with things like a new stadium. But if it''s just to give a bit extra to the budget over a longer period (as is perhaps the case with Stoke), then I can''t see it being as significant as some might think.If it''s the case that a team gets £60m over 15 years, then £4m a year isn''t an earth shattering amount. Some managers have wasted multiples of that on one dud player. Some clubs have probably wasted that each year via a series of poor managers chopping and changing the squad.Of course most teams would be pleased to have the extra money.

[quote user="93vintage"]Purple and Peanuts - I''d say that investment helps most with things like a new stadium. But if it''s just to give a bit extra to the budget over a longer period (as is perhaps the case with Stoke), then I can''t see it being as significant as some might think.If it''s the case that a team gets £60m over 15 years, then £4m a year isn''t an earth shattering amount. Some managers have wasted multiples of that on one dud player. Some clubs have probably wasted that each year via a series of poor managers chopping and changing the squad.Of course most teams would be pleased to have the extra money.[/quote]The upgrade to Colney is a case in point for us. I have not heard McNally give a figure, either for the overall work or more specifically for what is being started this summer, but whatever the cost (and which ever division we are in) it will presumably mean less money available for the playing budget.

Broady, your post was hardly worthy of a response but you an have this much of one...

My or anybody elses post count is irrelevant to the debate. You wouldn''t like it if I mentioned your lack of knowledge about the club and local community or the fact that you rarely if ever go to games. However both those things are more relevant to this debate than my post count.

Your post count might be irrelevant to you nutty but it is important to me. I like reading your posts more than anyone else''s. Keep your count a rising.

NN wrote:-

."Broady, your post was hardly worthy of a response but you an have this much of one...

My or anybody elses post count is irrelevant to the debate. You wouldn''t like it if I mentioned your lack of knowledge about the club and local community or the fact that you rarely if ever go to games. However both those things are more relevant to this debate than my post count."

Hey, hang on there for a minute. My mention of your post count was meant neither in a disparaging way or to put anybody down.

What''s wrong with being a prolific poster in any case? Nothing in my mind. It was meant as a bit of a compliment.

My whole post was delivered in a friendly way, as I see it. Perhaps there was a hint of criticism, but we should all be able to take that when openly discussing things.

Criticism I said and it is therefore a pity that you needed to make that insulting remark about my so-called lack of knowledge about the Club, the local community and my current attendance record.

I found that a bit cheap. I''ve had my fair share of involvement in all three of those aspects over the years, but do not really feel a need to qualify that claim.

Let''s keep it friendly eh? There are enough insult-merchants, and those who feel a need to resort to put downs when something posted disagrees with them, on here as it is.

[quote user="93vintage"]Purple and Peanuts - I''d say that investment helps most with things like a new stadium. But if it''s just to give a bit extra to the budget over a longer period (as is perhaps the case with Stoke), then I can''t see it being as significant as some might think.If it''s the case that a team gets £60m over 15 years, then £4m a year isn''t an earth shattering amount. Some managers have wasted multiples of that on one dud player. Some clubs have probably wasted that each year via a series of poor managers chopping and changing the squad.Of course most teams would be pleased to have the extra money.[/quote]
Yes I don''t think it necessarily makes a huge difference and there are bound to be other factors, but if all other things are equal then that extra investment may end up being the difference between success and failure.
In the case of Stoke I don''t know what that extra £15m was spent on that year, but that figure represented 25% of their wage bill and was double what they made in gate receipts, so it''s certainly not insignificant. The comparison with Stoke is a good one because their finances for that year were very similar to ours and although they had been in the PL a couple of years longer at that point they would certainly have been a club we were looking to compete with but they finished 9th while we were relegated in 18th. I don''t think the difference in performance can be put down to the extra investment (they certainly over performed that year) but year on year it has to make a difference.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]NN wrote:-

."Broady, your post was hardly worthy of a response but you an have this much of one...

My or anybody elses post count is irrelevant to the debate. You wouldn''t like it if I mentioned your lack of knowledge about the club and local community or the fact that you rarely if ever go to games. However both those things are more relevant to this debate than my post count."

Hey, hang on there for a minute. My mention of your post count was meant neither in a disparaging way or to put anybody down.

What''s wrong with being a prolific poster in any case? Nothing in my mind. It was meant as a bit of a compliment.

My whole post was delivered in a friendly way, as I see it. Perhaps there was a hint of criticism, but we should all be able to take that when openly discussing things.

Criticism I said and it is therefore a pity that you needed to make that insulting remark about my so-called lack of knowledge about the Club, the local community and my current attendance record.

I found that a bit cheap. I''ve had my fair share of involvement in all three of those aspects over the years, but do not really feel a need to qualify that claim.

Let''s keep it friendly eh? There are enough insult-merchants, and those who feel a need to resort to put downs when something posted disagrees with them, on here as it is.[/quote]

It was also only a hint of criticism Broady. And I warned you that you wouldn''t like it...

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

I''m not what exactly is made up, but all those questions are asked because I don''t know either, that''s why I and many like me ask ''em.  If you don''t think any of those questions are valid you are of course entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you want to be pedantic, you accused me of making things up, I said I didn''t know what I was supposed to have made up.  You didn''t answer that as you didn''t answer any of the questions to do with Delia''s nephew.  You don''t know if he is successful or not, so stop pretending you do.  If your sole object on a cold Monday is to pick an argument with me, fine but frankly it does seem rather petty even for the pink''un.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You cannot begin to compare the experience (business wise) between Alan Bowkett and Tom Smith:

After studying for a Masters degree in engineering in Liverpool he moved into the civil service. That career lasted for more than a decade, with roles in the Ministry of Defence, the Cabinet Office and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, including time in Afghanistan.

He said: “The real benefit of a career in the civil service is the variety and experiences it exposes you to. You learn how to make robust decisions in challenging circumstances.”

Having moved to Norfolk in 2007, before his job took him to Canberra in Australia, Mr Smith then set up his own photographic company and is in the process of moving back to Norfolk with his wife Alice - who also supports the Canaries.

That is precisely what I meant by ''successful'', years of experience against a few.  Maybe your definition of success is different from mine, mine is built on years of ups and downs and coming through difficult times to better times.

Anyway, you believe what you want to believe, as I will which is we now have a much weaker board which is indulging in nepotism, and as a club we will never move forward under the present setup.  I have been a supporter since the late ''50s, so like several on here I''ve seen it all too and while we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Delia and Michael, I sincerely believe it''s time to move on to the next era.

[/quote]

See what you''ve done there is confuse the meaning of ''experience'' and ''successful'' but that wouldn''t fit your original statement as there are some experienced business people on the NCFC board.

If you want to re-define commonly used words in the English language you should tell us in advance as your ''precise'' meaning is just yours and not the dictionary one, it would also save any confusion as we''d all be able to dismiss you post as not being true.

Alternatively you could''ve avoided all of this definition nonsense by admitting that you were wrong with you original statement but it seems that despite un-doubtable evidence you want to continue the charade.

Surely if the board are at fault for perceived failings in the summer transfer window, going into the PL with an inexperienced manager and all the other stuff that bring about the current moan fest, then it''s the board chaired by the experienced Bowkett that''s responsible?

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]I''m not what exactly is made up, but all those questions are asked because I don''t know either, that''s why I and many like me ask ''em.  If you don''t think any of those questions are valid you are of course entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.[/quote]

[/quote]If you want to be pedantic, you accused me of making things up, I said I didn''t know what I was supposed to have made up.  You didn''t answer that as you didn''t answer any of the questions to do with Delia''s nephew.  You don''t know if he is successful or not, so stop pretending you do.  If your sole object on a cold Monday is to pick an argument with me, fine but frankly it does seem rather petty even for the pink''un.[/quote]

[/quote]

After studying for a Masters degree in engineering in Liverpool he moved into the civil service. That career lasted for more than a decade, with roles in the Ministry of Defence, the Cabinet Office and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, including time in Afghanistan.

He said: “The real benefit of a career in the civil service is the variety and experiences it exposes you to. You learn how to make robust decisions in challenging circumstances.”

Having moved to Norfolk in 2007, before his job took him to Canberra in Australia, Mr Smith then set up his own photographic company and is in the process of moving back to Norfolk with his wife Alice - who also supports the Canaries.

[/quote]

See what you''ve done there is confuse the meaning of ''experience'' and ''successful'' but that wouldn''t fit your original statement as there are some experienced business people on the NCFC board.

If you want to re-define commonly used words in the English language you should tell us in advance as your ''precise'' meaning is just yours and not the dictionary one, it would also save any confusion as we''d all be able to dismiss you post as not being true.

Alternatively you could''ve avoided all of this definition nonsense by admitting that you were wrong with you original statement but it seems that despite un-doubtable evidence you want to continue the charade.

[/quote]You have asked me to tell you if a definition is mine.  In the indicated paragraph I had done exactly that, which you have chosen to ignore so you can continue your polemic against me.  As far as my post being dismissed, as you put it, nobody has shown the slightest interest in our little ''spat'', which suggests to me that they probably find your criticism as petty and unwarranted as I do, and consequently I don''t intend to spend any more time on you.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You have asked me to tell you if a definition is mine.  In the indicated paragraph I had done exactly that, which you have chosen to ignore so you can continue your polemic against me.  As far as my post being dismissed, as you put it, nobody has shown the slightest interest in our little ''spat'', which suggests to me that they probably find your criticism as petty and unwarranted as I do, and consequently I don''t intend to spend any more time on you.
[/quote]

Maybe English isn''t your first language but I did explain that if you had told us of this redefinition in the post where you claimed that there " is no longer even a successful business person on it" we would be able to dismiss it as not true. Not only is the original statement not true but your redefinition isn''t true either as there are some experienced business people on the board.

Just admit you were wrong.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]I agree we need new wealthy owners.

Southampton managed to find a billionaire who passed the club to his daughter when he died.

Bournemouth managed to find an investor and then an additional investor(s) who bought 25%

Watford who were losing money managed to find an investor and look where they are.

We look like a club doomed to be mainly in the Championship with maybe if are lucky the odd season in The Premiership.

Do we have any ambition?[/quote]All three clubs you mentioned were, or were close to administration when they found "wealthy new owners". Conversely, Aston Villa is a going concern but unable to find a buyer after two years of searching.It''s much easier and cheaper for any potential buyers out there to seek out a basket case club to invest in than one that is financially stable.