Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Timm Klose Centre Back Partner.

After reading six things we learned from Swansea match.

The players need someone to look up to so Timm should be made CAPTAIN now but who shall be his partner in defence! Not Russell Martin - last time we won when this man started at CB was September 12th 2015. So No.

Sebastien Bassong - Maybe

Ryan Bennett - Maybe.

Not sure too many would disagree that his partner should be Bassong or Bennett if we play four at the back.

Unfortunately AN seems to have to have reverted back to Martin in the center of a flat back four despite improved defensive displays (with that formation) when he was at right back. It is a bit frustrating that he seems to still be fannying about with the back line.

I personally like the three center halves with two wing backs.

The three centre halves and wing backs look a lot more solid. Brady might be out injured, are we happy with playing Olsson at wingback? Probably. I can see a return to the back four after Man City as AN tries to force the game. I''d go with Olsson, Klose, Bennett and Martin. And I''d tell our FBs to not leave the half way line. Let our attacking midfielder trio do the work up top..

=========Ruddy========

Martin Bennett Klose Olsson

====Howson O''Neil======

Redmond---Wes------Jarvis

======Mbokani==========

And yes I''d leave Naismith on the bench, or maybe play him in the no. 9 role. He''s been awful since his first game, I don''t care how much we''ve spent on him!

In our current situation I agree with HC that we should play three at the back, with Martin in the middle, Bennett on the left, Klose on the right. I take Parma''s point that playing this way against a team playing one up front (as most EPL teams in fact do) creates imbalances further up the pitch, but IMO we are simply too vulnerable defensively to prioritise better balance over solidity-at-a-cost. (I also think the wing backs should be Pinto and Olsson, not Pinto and Brady, but Brady v Olsson is another debate.)If the question were "What CB partnership would Alex Neil select if unconstrained by current league position?" I''m pretty sure the answer would be Martin and Klose. That pairing would best fit how AN aspires to have us play. Unfortunately we have only really managed anything approaching that once this season, in that great first half display at Upton Park.

We''ve not won with Martin starting at CB since September?

Wow. That makes the persistence of using him there all the more alarming. After the Liverpool catastrophe at CR, I''m amazed he''s been in the first 11 full-stop.

I don''t usually care about stats like that, but surely someone at the club must be aware of it and think ''maybe we should try something different...''?

We''ve tried everything! Those games around Christmas with Brady - Bassong - Bennett - Martin were the best defensive performances. Howson was playing at right mid or left mid to ''protect'' the full backs.

============Ruddy=========

====Bennett Martin Klose====

Pinto ====== O''Neil=== Olsson

==========Howson=========

== Redmond ====== Wes=====

========= Bamford =========

I''d like to see this on Saturday. 5 at the back, one holding mid, and a diamond front four.