Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Alex Neil >> Sean Dyche

Sean Dyche took over at Burnley from Eddie Howe in October 2012. Burnley finished 11th that season and got automatic promotion to the Premier League the season after.

They struggled in the Premier League and were relegated in 19th place. In spite of this they kept Dyche as manager and now sit top of the Championship with a great chance of promotion back to the Premier League.

Dyche is often described by people outside Burnley as "one of the best young managers in England". Alex Neil is often described the same way (though not by some of the posters on here).

So - looking at Burnley and Dyche - should we follow the same path - even if we get relegated?

IMO, that''s a fair comparison, coul;d have been easy to sack Dyche, where would Burnley be now ? I believe whatever happens AN should get until next December before making a decision to change him, the experience could make him better (could also destroy any promise) but deserves at the very least rest of this season and at least half of next to see where that takes us.

Unless of course the natives completely turn on him !!

the issue is not should we sack him or should we stick with him if relegated. the bigger issue is that the club should have sorted out the embarrassment that was our summer transfer window, which would likely have ensured we did not fall short.

If we are relegated, mid October would be long enough to define how things are shaping,if we go down with a whimper and start off poorly then the change must come

Burnley didn''t spend too much money in the Prem, in fact they spent more after relegation . Can a club be better equipped for promotion second time around? Watford and Bournemouth have done ok first time.

It is obviously very dangerous to draw a wide ranging conclusion from an isolated example but it is an interesting point.

For me the key is how they perform, and whether they get the most or more out of what they have available. That may have been true of Dyche with a very limited side. AN has in my view made too many mistakes which keep getting repeated for his long term potential to be properly assessed as still anything other than "unproven", and that means retain with caution.

I have to admit , the comparison had crossed my mind , due to the rhetoric coming from McNally about how he is the man (AN) to get us back up if we are relegated .

My problem is that in my opinion , AN has learned nothing apparent during this season , as he is making all the same mistakes as the beginning of the season . Strange team selections , bad subs , wrong timing , inability to change a game etc .

No good blaming the players either ,they are performing at a consistent level most weeks , even if that is not good enough , the coaching staff have to address these things ,, but haven''t .

For me , pack him back off to " Billy Smarts " .

Coaching Staff???????

Frankie in charge of Pies at Hamilton and Gary Holt the coach of Lowestoft

Might just as well get Blakey from On the Buses

At least everything should run to schedule

not one player has improved this year

in fact some players have gone backwards ( redmond )

the coaches are not improving the players at training or building a system or style of play to stick to that works

lambert got players of lesser ability playing above there skill level through grit and desire same as dyche

sadly AN has not got that

we need a manger to improve players as we can not afford the best so we have to rely on the manager / coaches to do that

[quote user="daly"]Coaching Staff???????

Frankie in charge of Pies at Hamilton and Gary Holt the coach of Lowestoft

Might just as well get Blakey from On the Buses

At least everything should run to schedule[/quote]

Blakey from On the Buses is dead.