Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Signings

Pretty fair assessment Nigel. Naismith worries me as for the money we paid and the reputation he had I don''t feel he''s really brought anything to the team and his apparent lack of fitness is a concern. However it''s early days yet and I''m happy to be proven wrong about him.
On paper the domestic signings looked good - Dorrans and Mulumbu have 250 or so premier league appearances between them, Jarvis was a £10m player a few years ago - but none have really had much of an impact thus far.

[quote user="YorkshirePudding"]From the OPs logic, anyone who signs is a MISS until they play, and until then may the only become a HIT if they do well. Priceless.[/quote]I can''t work out if this is tongue in cheek or not?Of course they''re a miss if they never play.  Huh?

Naismith is an odd one - made an instant impact against Liverpool and had we won I think would have gone on from strength to strength. Since then I think his confidence has probably taken a bit of a knock!

Naismith enjoyed a bit of beginners luck then faded. If he''s lost confidence already, that''s a real shame. You''d hope £20m of fresh intake would help invigorate the whole squad.

Talking of which, did all the new signings go on the club jolly to Abu Dhabi?

When it all boils down the majority of AN''s signings and as McMillionNally stated the signings are in the hands of the

Manager are apart from perhaps Bamford and definitely Brady are Di. v1 and Championship material. Only one would play Premiership football and as we paid a million for Andreau to make the Pie Man and AN feel at home plus 8 million for a bench warmer I think NCFC fans have a right to feel aggrieved. I can remember an old Chairman of NCFC Sir Arthur South who appointed an Electricity Meter Reader as Head Coach. You couldn''t make it up.

I can remember the late great Sir Arthur appointing our best ever manager and signing a world cup winner who became our best ever player. I think there''sa case to be made that what we remember defines what we are....

It''s too early to be writing off so many. Let''s at least see how they fare in the first half of the championship campaign next season ( for those that stay) smile

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I can remember the late great Sir Arthur appointing our best ever manager and signing a world cup winner who became our best ever player. I think there''sa case to be made that what we remember defines what we are....[/quote]

I will agree there if Naismith is worth £8 million what would Peters be worth today

Neil is already leading the race to sign a Celtic bench warmer on a free and interested in a Hibs striker , not only will we be in the Championship next season but most likely with even more third rate Scots in the side . At least its the cheap though and thats always the main consideration at Norwich .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Neil is already leading the race to sign a Celtic bench warmer on a free and interested in a Hibs striker , not only will we be in the Championship next season but most likely with even more third rate Scots in the side . At least its the cheap though and thats always the main consideration at Norwich .[/quote]Is he? Will we? Is it?

While it is silly to claim players who''ve been here less than two months are misses the OP is right that our signings have been poor. The worrying aspect for me though is that we''re paying for three years of consistent poor performance in the transfer market...

13/14 signings

RVW

Hooper

Fer

Olsson

Redmond

Garrido

Elmander (l)

Yobo (l)

Nash

Gutierez (l)

The three big money signing have either been sold or been consistently loaned out. Olsson and Redmond were good signings, Garrido did a job but the three loanees were all pretty poor.

14/15 signings

VOO

Jerome

Grabban

Lafferty

Miquel

Andreu

Cuellar

O''Neil

Dorrans (l)

Hoiveld (l)

Jerome and Grabban both gave us goals in the Championship and Grabban was sold for a large profit. VOO is never fit and looks inconsistent when in the team. O''Neil has done a job as did Dorrans in his loan spell. Lafferty is ignored and clearly deemed not good enough, Andreu was a waste of money, Hoiveld was crap and I''d forgotten Miquel and Cueller ever played for us.

15/16 signings (only including summer as too early to judge the Jan lot)

Brady

Dorrans

Wisdom

Mulumbu

Jarvis

Mbokani

Kean

Of these lot only Brady has been a success- none of the others have more than 15 starts which is pretty shocking at this stage of the season.

The upshot is we are still very reliant on a core of players who were signed quite a long time ago- Howson, Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Tettey, Hoolahan and Ruddy have all been with us for at least 4 seasons, were found wanting the last time we went down yet still make up the core of our team. The consistent failure to add quality to our first team over this period of time has left us with a squad not capable at this level.

Something is clearly wrong in our scouting and transfer policy and we need to find out what.

like i posted on another thread

i think its the training / coaches

no system no style of play

not one player has improved this year

in fact some players have gone backwards ( redmond )

the coaches are not improving the players at training or building a system or style of play to stick to that works

lambert got players of lesser ability playing above there skill level through grit and desire

sadly AN has not got that

we need a manger to improve players as we can not afford the best so we have to rely on the manager / coaches to do that

There is a system and style of play, perhaps you can''t spot it. How do you know what happens at traynun, do you go ?

Mbok and Brady have both been fantastic imo. Cant say much for the rest of them.

Naismith started well but has really struggled recently.

Pinto is starting to get a grasp of Premier League football. I can see him going from strength to strength.

Bamford I think will impress if he gets a chance.

To be fair to the new signings it is the likes of Howson, Martin, Bassong, Jerome, Ruddy and Redmond that have disappointed the most imo.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

Pinto is starting to get a grasp of Premier League football. I can see him going from strength to strength.[/quote]Yeah i mean for a full back all he really needs to do is get to grips with defending and once he has bombed forward learn how to recover his position and he will be fine. Let''s just leave the tackling out of the equation for now.

Redmond has shown tiny glimpses of his quality, but only glimpses. Howson is just poor. He chips in with a goal every full moon that makes him look good. Explain why you think otherwise if you disagree.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Redmond has shown tiny glimpses of his quality, but only glimpses. Howson is just poor. He chips in with a goal every full moon that makes him look good. Explain why you think otherwise if you disagree.[/quote]Howson is not poor, that is my opinion.How do you know how much quality Redmond actually has, if he is not showing it?

I rate Redmond highly and feel that it would be a sad day for us when he eventually (and inevitably) moves on.

Howson is an enigma to me. From my (mostly) small screen view, he rarely seems to be outstanding and gets few mentions from the commentators.

Quite often after about 25 mins.or so when he gets a mention, I have found myself thinking along the lines that of "Oh Howson is playing."

Yet he is the FIRST on AN''s team sheet week after week and those who sit in the stands always seem to rate him, and highly.

I therefore accept that the player is worthy of continued selection in a failing mid-field and that he largely gets on with the nitty-gritty stuff that goes consistently unnoticed by those doing the commentary.

He certainly has the ability to perform the occasional outstanding strike, but on the other hand his ability to regularly set up a goal, as an attacking mid-fielder, seems somewhat lacking.

Question: Is Jonny Howson really that good?

Ans. Don''t know.

PC Plod wrote:

All Pinto has to do to get to grips with defending and once he has

bombed forward learn how to recover his position and he will fine.

You mean the way everyone''s local hero,Martin, has done these last few seasons. Yeah sure.

Mind The Gap,

Unfortunately when you post something so obviously wrong, the rest of the points you make are sort of dismissed.

There are plenty about who do not rate RM and say so on here quite regularly and there are plenty who think the opposite, so how you can say he is "everyone''s local hero" is beyond me. If nothing else your statement of fact shows; a lack of research, a lack of the command of the English language, the evidence of a personal crusade or a lack of understanding of the game of football. There may of course be other reasons that I''ve not thought of yet.

Til made a statement that IMO is correct, however what any of our opinions about IP have to do with RM I do not know. The fact I thought RM did an OK job at LB/LWB last Saturday really has no bearing on what I though of IP''s performance.