Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Do we deserve more? My latest piece

I agree with this article. We are a yo-yo club and will be so for the foreseeable future. As long as we can return to the top flight within each three year parachute payments cycle we will be a ''big'' club in the Championship and an impoverished ''small'' club in the Premier League. That is how it is and unless, as the article states, a mega-rich investor with the club''s interests at heart comes along that is how we''ll stay.

This talk of being a well run family club that exists outside of the PL is a pipe dream. The last time we spent a prolonged period outside of the PL our family club nearly went bankrupt, went through a string of poor managers and players, and ended up in League 1. Not because we over-stretched. But because we settled for less.

Which makes last summer’s management affairs even more unforgivable that it was deemed okay to go into a PL season with a defense not fit for purpose and a bloated strikeforce of failed PL attackers.

If we go down I’d keep Alex and send McNally packing. Bring in someone who isn’t a glorified accountant, who understands the importance of a pre-season (‘local select team anyone), a scouting network, the ability to recruit top talent, and the importance of a PL standard squad.

[quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]This talk of being a well run family club that exists outside of the PL is a pipe dream. The last time we spent a prolonged period outside of the PL our family club nearly went bankrupt, went through a string of poor managers and players, and ended up in League 1. Not because we over-stretched. But because we settled for less.

Which makes last summer’s management affairs even more unforgivable that it was deemed okay to go into a PL season with a defense not fit for purpose and a bloated strikeforce of failed PL attackers.

If we go down I’d keep Alex and send McNally packing. Bring in someone who isn’t a glorified accountant, who understands the importance of a pre-season (‘local select team anyone), a scouting network, the ability to recruit top talent, and the importance of a PL standard squad.[/quote]

Not sure if the above is serious or not, but if it is, the rewriting of history is quite stark.  We had been stretched financially as a club since the 1990''s and right through the 2000''s.   That we nearly went bankrupt was as a result of the gradually accumulating debt, right through to 2009.  Keeping the finances in stability is the most important thing for the well being of the club - and success has become more likely because of it, as seen by four out of five seaons now in the top flight.  Building for the future is the main thing, with gradually improving finances and a gradually improving squad - which is what we have.  Stay up or go down and the club will continue to thrive - because of McNally and the board''s professionalism and refusal to give in to greed and overspending.

I find it frustrating that we never built on the Lambert era that offered us so much promise.

We seem to be the most frugally run club about with probably every other club in this league having some really rich investor and I think it''s stopping us from getting to the next level.

I look at teams like Stoke and WBA and wonder why it can''t be us. Obviously I then see the likes of Sheff Utd and Leeds and count us lucky we''re not them, but what I''d give for a year in the top half of the prem or a real great cup run for once. Even on sneaky season in Europe.

Yes I am resigned to the fact we''ll have the odd relegation but is it too much to ask for just one season where we really push the big boys like the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Bolton, Leicester, Wigan and Middlesborough have done in recent years?

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]I find it frustrating that we never built on the Lambert era that offered us so much promise.

We seem to be the most frugally run club about with probably every other club in this league having some really rich investor and I think it''s stopping us from getting to the next level.

I look at teams like Stoke and WBA and wonder why it can''t be us. Obviously I then see the likes of Sheff Utd and Leeds and count us lucky we''re not them, but what I''d give for a year in the top half of the prem or a real great cup run for once. Even on sneaky season in Europe.

Yes I am resigned to the fact we''ll have the odd relegation but is it too much to ask for just one season where we really push the big boys like the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Bolton, Leicester, Wigan and Middlesborough have done in recent years?[/quote]You cannot exponentially improve and improve though, there is a ceiling. That list you have above were all bankrolled fairly well, and thats whats missing from us. Team spirit, pluck, effort and luck will only get you so far unfortunately.

I know there is a ceiling, I just find that we''re frustratingly close to seeing it and not quite achieving it.

Look how many consecutive seasons the likes of Wigan or Stoke have done/ did at this level and I wonder why we can''t do that.

All I ask is just 1 or 2 seasons when we look up at the premiership table, not down or we get to March and we''re still in the hunt in the cup competitions. If after that we have a relegation and a few mediocre seasons, so be it but it''d be nice to add a bit of a string to our bow for our wikipedia page which is more than a milk cup win over 30 years ago, a win vs Bayern in the early stages of the UEFA cup over 20 years ago and a few second level achievements.

Not saying i''d want us to be like Wigan or Portsmouth are currently but their fans will always have the FA cup and the nights in Europe to look back on with fondness and some real top quality legends to remember wearing their colours in the prime of their powers.

Perhaps i''m asking too much but I think we can achieve more than we do.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]I know there is a ceiling, I just find that we''re frustratingly close to seeing it and not quite achieving it.

Look how many consecutive seasons the likes of Wigan or Stoke have done/ did at this level and I wonder why we can''t do that.

All I ask is just 1 or 2 seasons when we look up at the premiership table, not down or we get to March and we''re still in the hunt in the cup competitions. If after that we have a relegation and a few mediocre seasons, so be it but it''d be nice to add a bit of a string to our bow for our wikipedia page which is more than a milk cup win over 30 years ago, a win vs Bayern in the early stages of the UEFA cup over 20 years ago and a few second level achievements.

Not saying i''d want us to be like Wigan or Portsmouth are currently but their fans will always have the FA cup and the nights in Europe to look back on with fondness and some real top quality legends to remember wearing their colours in the prime of their powers.

Perhaps i''m asking too much but I think we can achieve more than we do.[/quote]Its what we all want, but we don''t get it the easy way.The likes of Stoke and West Brom especially yo-yo''d before they established properly.

[quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]This talk of being a well run family club that exists outside of the PL is a pipe dream. The last time we spent a prolonged period outside of the PL our family club nearly went bankrupt, went through a string of poor managers and players, and ended up in League 1. Not because we over-stretched. But because we settled for less.

If we go down I’d keep Alex and send McNally packing. Bring in someone who isn’t a glorified accountant, who understands the importance of a pre-season (‘local select team anyone), a scouting network, the ability to recruit top talent, and the importance of a PL standard squad.[/quote]

Don''t forget we have spent loads by Norwich City standards, but we are still shopping in Aldi compared to some of the clubs in the Premier League who can spend at least what we have spent on individual players each and every transfer window. To put it bluntly we are still the poor relations of the top flight, having said that it sometimes takes more than money. I personally feel we have done OK this season, we have played well in many games and I feel I have been entertained. Alex Neil does NOT deserve the sack as some rabid folks are saying, he just needs time and patience. So my message is, it''s not all over yet get behind the team and manager and we''ll see where we end up.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Don''t forget we have spent loads by Norwich City standards, but we are still shopping in Aldi compared to some of the clubs in the Premier League who can spend at least what we have spent on individual players each and every transfer window. To put it bluntly we are still the poor relations of the top flight, having said that it sometimes takes more than money. I personally feel we have done OK this season, we have played well in many games and I feel I have been entertained. Alex Neil does NOT deserve the sack as some rabid folks are saying, he just needs time and patience. So my message is, it''s not all over yet get behind the team and manager and we''ll see where we end up.[/quote][Y]

Is J B really Dave B? Or vice-versa? Or neither? Or both? Or the single Feynman electron bouncing round the universe??

Is he, ergo, Wiz?

My brain hurts.