Sign in to follow this  
Gainer the Gopher

He'd be scoring those missed goals

Our strikers seem pretty hopeless at finishing golden opportunities. If he was getting the service our current bunch are getting (because he sure didn''t get it when he was here, apart from this past pre-season, and he converted those), it''s not crazy to think RVW would be knocking them in.

It is beyond crazy to think he could lead the line and help build the moves that lead to the chances in the first place. A gust of wind can knock him over.

[quote user="hogesar"]13 apps, 0 goals. Pretty standard for him.[/quote]Is that RVW, Mbokani, Jerome or Lafferty you''re talking about or all of them?

Not sure about RVW but Hooper definitely would''ve scored a number of the chances that Jerome has missed. Sadly, like many others, Neil didn''t feel that he deserved a chance.

I''ve looked up his stats and in all comps he''s scored 4 goals and has 2 assists in 16 games.

That includes a goal in the U21 league and the League Cup goal against Rotherham with his 2 other goals in the Copa del Ray.

To be fair on those stats surely he must stand a chance of getting into our starting XI - he''s only a goal behind Cam-Jam at Betis!

RVW offers nothing in terms of physicality, pace or ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play and has 7 goals in his last 70 apps in all competitions, 5 of them coming in what is essentially high league one / low championship level.
Similar playing levels (although Jerome has played in the Prem more) and Jerome has 21 goals in the same number of games. He also got 7 assists last season and 2 this season. Oh, and he can also hold the ball up, has more pace and is better in the air.

Ricky cant find the bench at Betis. And now they have found a winning formula without him, I doubt very much he will be seen wearing a Betis shirt ever again. In fact I suspect Betis would cancel his loan if they could.

Lets perhaps give Bamford a run in the team before we do explore else.

Bamford looks to have more about him than RvW but don''t see him as a solution anyway.

I was thinking more of Bamford than the others because he missed a couple of decent chances on Saturday, but the fact is when he played here, he got no service. Except this past preseason when he got service and, oh ya, scored goals.

Is it fair or unfair to say only an American would be stupid enough to think RvW is a viable striking option for us

Yes. Yes it is.Commendable that he skipped straight past Lafferty though.

I''[d stick my neck out and say RVW wouldn''t have hit the target with one of them even if he somehow got into a scoring position in the first place. He''s a lower Championship level striker who showed some great promise in his early career, never developed further, scored a few in a very weak league and we got thoroughly ripped off with him. I''d sooner have Jackson or Morison back than bloody RVW!

Johnson on the other hand with his runs into the box probably would have made a difference at times and I admit I still miss him a bit. He doesn''t offer a lot at this level on the left bar grit determination and goals....but who the hell else in our side has given us much of that this year?

So how come he looked good and scored for us in preseason? He got service and converted, which was what got our attention in the first place before we signed him?

Try to keep on topic and save the xenophobia for people you might actually meet. It''s just embarrassing small-town cowardice when yoy do it here.

"It is beyond crazy to think he could lead the line and help build the moves that lead to the chances in the first place. A gust of wind can knock him over. "

What about if RVW was to play in a 2 up front system, with Jerome doing the hard work, building the moves etc with RVW there to be on the end of such crosses from Jerome and score.

Although there is the argument that Jerome gets into good positions in the first place, it''s just he can''t seem to put the ball in the net!

RVW was never really given a proper chance at Norwich

Being a striker under Chris Hughton must have been a lonely experience

I can''t help thinking a dream team of RVW and Bamford would see us challenging for a European place a bit like an east Anglian Leicester

"Ricky cant find the bench at Betis" - Thecanaryfan

That''s not a good start, if he can''t even find the bench how''s he ever going to score a goal?!

[quote user="Hull Canary"]RVW was never really given a proper chance at Norwich

Being a striker under Chris Hughton must have been a lonely experience

I can''t help thinking a dream team of RVW and Bamford would see us challenging for a European place a bit like an east Anglian Leicester[/quote]

A declining Holt managed to bag nearly 10 in an even more defensive Hughton team. RVW also started more games than Hooper who got 6. He''s absolutely useless technically and despite being 6"1 has to resort to fouling everytime someone comes close to him because he''s so weak. No pace, can''t pass, can''t run with the ball, snatches at shots, usually aims for the middle of the goal, is never in the right place to score etc

Awful player.