Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Away prices capped

At £30 in the Premier League next season. Which may or may not affect us. But is interesting in at least two ways. It shows, despite what several posters here said during the Twenty is plenty" debate, that protests can sway clubs, and debunks the notion that the complainers were just whingers who didn''t like the operation of market forces and needed to get their persoanl finance priorities sorted out. Secondly, I doubt the revenue implications for us are that welcome at Carrow Road.

I''m surprised, no, amazed that this has come to pass. I''m not surprised that it''s £30 and not £20 though, I still can''t see how a club could realistically charge away fans less than a home season ticket.

As Purple says, credit to those that stuck to their guns, it will certainly make future away allocations interesting.

I honestly didn''t think this would happen, I was wrong. Let''s hope we pull off a Houdini and our fans can see the benefit.

I read that there was pressure from the TV companies for this to happen as they were worried that empty seats and lack of atmosphere did not enhance the TV experience.

Don''t mean to under estimate the effect of the fans protest but it may not be down to that.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I still can''t see how a club could realistically charge away fans less than a home season ticket.[/quote]Although I welcome any price decrease I do think it has to apply to ALL fans and not just a select few. How can our club for example, charge away fans £30 to sit at one end of the Jarrold whilst charging home fans £45 to sit at the other? Two different prices for fans sitting in the same stand, in similar seats and watching the same game can''t be right.And how are fans of Championship clubs going to feel being charged more when they go to places like Derby, Leeds, Ipswich etc and paying more for their seats than fans of PL clubs visiting Old Trafford and the Emirates?I do think this will have serious repercussions for many lower league teams who are struggling financially.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I still can''t see how a club could realistically charge away fans less than a home season ticket.[/quote]Although I welcome any price decrease I do think it has to apply to ALL fans and not just a select few. How can our club for example, charge away fans £30 to sit at one end of the Jarrold whilst charging home fans £45 to sit at the other? Two different prices for fans sitting in the same stand, in similar seats and watching the same game can''t be right.And how are fans of Championship clubs going to feel being charged more when they go to places like Derby, Leeds, Ipswich etc and paying more for their seats than fans of PL clubs visiting Old Trafford and the Emirates?I do think this will have serious repercussions for many lower league teams who are struggling financially.

[/quote]Have to admit, whilst I welcome cheaper tickets, I never considered the implications for lower leagues. Realistically I think this will just have to apply to the Premiership.

[quote user="morty"]Realistically I think this will just have to apply to the Premiership.[/quote]Which would mean if we are relegated along with Newcastle or Sunderland, traveling fans could be paying £45/50 as a Grade ''A'' match, to watch them in the second tier as opposed to £30 if we stay up. It makes no sense.Any caps/discounts should benefit all fans, not just a select few.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]Realistically I think this will just have to apply to the Premiership.[/quote]Which would mean if we are relegated along with Newcastle or Sunderland, traveling fans could be paying £45/50 as a Grade ''A'' match, to watch them in the second tier as opposed to £30 if we stay up. It makes no sense.Any caps/discounts should benefit all fans, not just a select few.[/quote]But there are no clubs within the Premiership that are skating close to administration.The football league will have to come up with their own version of the scheme, taking into account the vast difference in financial situations. Lets face it, Premiership clubs can afford to just write off the loss of revenue, there are a lot of clubs in divisions below, that can''t.Its not about making it elitist in any way, more so making sure that lower league clubs don''t suffer because of it.

The ''One Man and his dog'' merchants are laying the bait on social media surrounding the thread on here a few months ago and claiming the moral high ground for handing out a few leaflets at the Leicester home game.Funny how they want to be the '' Voice of The fans '' yet lurk and then sneer about this website elsewhere. No more input locally than that contrary to the self publicity spouted . As someone has already said TV played a big part in the pressure. The FSF and Twentys Plenty will no doubt claim it was of their pressure but the Liverpool walk out which was possibly the biggest player in all this was against astronomical home prizes and nothing to do with the price of away tickets.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It shows, despite what several posters here said during the Twenty is plenty" debate, that protests can sway clubs, and debunks the notion that the complainers were just whingers [/quote]

Or "complainers" are realistic eh Tilly 😉

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]It shows, despite what several posters here said during the Twenty is plenty" debate, that protests can sway clubs, and debunks the notion that the complainers were just whingers [/quote]

Or "complainers" are realistic eh Tilly 😉[/quote]Shows what can happen if you feel strongly enough about something and actually take action, and not just moan on about it[;)]

Was talking to someone at a recent match. They asked me if we will stay up.

They accused me of being negative. Why I said. It''s a realistic opinion.

Seems like some not don''t understand the diff morty. (Not you btw)

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Was talking to someone at a recent match. They asked me if we will stay up.

They accused me of being negative. Why I said. It''s a realistic opinion.

Seems like some not don''t understand the diff morty. (Not you btw)[/quote]I think we''ll leave that, at the risk of going horribly off topic[:)]

[quote user="morty"]Shows what can happen if you feel strongly enough about something and actually take action, and not just moan on about it[;)][/quote]I seem to have missed the ''action'' at our club. Was it when I popped out for a fag? [+o(]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]Shows what can happen if you feel strongly enough about something and actually take action, and not just moan on about it[;)][/quote]I seem to have missed the ''action'' at our club. Was it when I popped out for a fag? [+o(][/quote]Theres a Stephen Fry joke here, gimme a minute[;)]

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Why has nobody pointed out that £30 is not less than the majority of season ticket holders pay ? 😳[/quote]I am not so sure it matters really.I think its widely recognised that following your team away isn''t just about the price of your ticket, its about transport, eating and drinking, maybe even an over night stay.

Firstly, nobody has the right to say their opinion about the unknown future is realism.

As for this. I have very mixed feelings. Cheaper tickets for away fans can''t be a bad thing but it''s not necessarily a fair thing and will seem totally unfair to the home fans paying getting on for double what an away fan is paying in the seat very close by. Or even the home fan who has stopped going due to the cost but would still be going if they could get a ticket for £30.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Firstly, nobody has the right to say their opinion about the unknown future is realism.

As for this. I have very mixed feelings. Cheaper tickets for away fans can''t be a bad thing but it''s not necessarily a fair thing and will seem totally unfair to the home fans paying getting on for double what an away fan is paying in the seat very close by. Or even the home fan who has stopped going due to the cost but would still be going if they could get a ticket for £30.[/quote]
It comes across a bit like a half-attempt to please enough fans to keep them quiet for a while without actually considering if this will end up causing more problems and more frustration from football supporters.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Firstly, nobody has the right to say their opinion about the unknown future is realism.

As for this. I have very mixed feelings. Cheaper tickets for away fans can''t be a bad thing but it''s not necessarily a fair thing and will seem totally unfair to the home fans paying getting on for double what an away fan is paying in the seat very close by. Or even the home fan who has stopped going due to the cost but would still be going if they could get a ticket for £30.[/quote]
It comes across a bit like a half-attempt to please enough fans to keep them quiet for a while without actually considering if this will end up causing more problems and more frustration from football supporters.
[/quote]I think though it is up to individual clubs to decide what they charge home fans, rather than try and impose an across the board pricing scheme. The clubs should be encouraged to self assess in this respect.But its supply and demand, and related to the product you are receiving. The fans ability to pay could also be governed by regional differences in the wages they earn.I think it would be very difficult to find a policy that suits all.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Firstly, nobody has the right to say their opinion about the unknown future is realism.

It comes across a bit like a half-attempt to please enough fans to keep them quiet for a while without actually considering if this will end up causing more problems and more frustration from football supporters.[/quote]The cheapest tickets for Saturday''s game are £50 and if we stay up next season it will mean people sitting in the Jarrold will be paying £20 more than those a few feet away. Can clubs legally charge some people considerably more for the same thing? .....

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Firstly, nobody has the right to say their opinion about the unknown future is realism.

It comes across a bit like a half-attempt to please enough fans to keep them quiet for a while without actually considering if this will end up causing more problems and more frustration from football supporters.[/quote]The cheapest tickets for Saturday''s game are £50 and if we stay up next season it will mean people sitting in the Jarrold will be paying £20 more than those a few feet away. Can clubs legally charge some people considerably more for the same thing? .....
[/quote]Perhaps this is just the first step into shaming clubs to reduce ticket prices across the board?If the example you quote above, happens, then Norwich City will find themselves under pressure to respond in some way.Its a start.

Nobody has yet come forward and answered what happens in The Championship and in cup competitions not governed by the Premier League. What happens to the £200,000 the PL handed out to every club to assist with away match day experience ? I do not imagine for one minute that will now continue so £10 tickets for Swansea and free coach travel will be a thing of the past.Away match ticket allocations will surely mean more ballots as seat availability will not increase but with a decrease in price the demand for tickets will be more.The more i think about it this will cause more problems that it solves but those locally claiming that they were major players in bringing this £30 about are far to busy preening their feathers and puffing their chests.The egotistical self publicist is having a field day.

I can appreciate it being the "working mans game" etc. and it''s great that hopefully this will mean more true fans through the door as opposed to tourists or empty seats.

I can''t help but feel a slight disagreement with all this "fair pricing" bit in a sense though.

You go watch a headline band/ artist like Eminem or the Foo Fighters and it''s £80 a ticket. Same with a west end show or a famous comedian and people don''t complain but when Man U try the same, people have a moan.

I think what i''d say to some of those people how about go support your local side where you can see 2 hours of entertaining football for a fair price. They are the clubs that need the money more as well. It''s a bit like if I go to a local gig or go to the local theatre or comedy club. It doesn''t have to be "headliner this, headliner that" and you can still have fun. It''s a consequence that comes with the territory of supporting a big club I think. Obviously football has fans in a different sense to bands and comedians though.

I think the scenario is different between the elite popular clubs like Man U, Arsenal etc. and the likes of us, Stoke, WBA who don''t have millions of plastic fans and tourists all wanting a seat.

We''re kind of the halfway house whereby we have a decent loyal following, a few bandwagoners and not many tourists/ casual fans. You wouldn''t likely see an American family come on holiday to England or a Chinese businessman come over and deliberately come to Carrow Road like you would see them go to Old Trafford or Anfield. These are the types that drive the ticket prices up to unrealistic levels. You only have to see the Liverpool season ticket holders selling off games on their season tickets for £200+ a pop to Norwegian fans to see what''s wrong. This cap of £30 will likely see an emergence of touts and sites like Viagogo relisting the tickets for £50 or so.

If a team can sell out their ground for £70 a ticket then by simple business rules it''s fair enough but there''s obviously more to it. I''d feel a bit aggrieved though if tickets were a quid but I could never go see a match because of demand.

Perhaps they need more initiatives for kids or loyal exiles rather than a blanket cap in the level of pricing. It'' a nice short term win for the common fan but I can''t help but think the problem is way bigger than this.

Just imagine if it was £30 for away fans this coming Saturday. Man City have returned part of their allocation i assume because it is a silly o''clock lunchtime KO and is televised. Those tickets have been made available to home fans. The question i have is would Mr.McNally sell them at the £30 away fan price or the £50 home fan price ? I think we all know the answer to that.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just imagine if it was £30 for away fans this coming Saturday. Man City have returned part of their allocation i assume because it is a silly o''clock lunchtime KO and is televised. Those tickets have been made available to home fans. The question i have is would Mr.McNally sell them at the £30 away fan price or the £50 home fan price ? I think we all know the answer to that.[/quote]Is the answer " Why make up a stick to beat someone with, when the stick doesn''t even exist?"I bet he''d make em 60 quid.The bastard.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]I can appreciate it being the "working mans game" etc. and it''s great that hopefully this will mean more true fans through the door as opposed to tourists or empty seats.

I can''t help but feel a slight disagreement with all this "fair pricing" bit in a sense though.

You go watch a headline band/ artist like Eminem or the Foo Fighters and it''s £80 a ticket. Same with a west end show or a famous comedian and people don''t complain but when Man U try the same, people have a moan.

I think what i''d say to some of those people how about go support your local side where you can see 2 hours of entertaining football for a fair price. They are the clubs that need the money more as well. It''s a bit like if I go to a local gig or go to the local theatre or comedy club. It doesn''t have to be "headliner this, headliner that" and you can still have fun. It''s a consequence that comes with the territory of supporting a big club I think. Obviously football has fans in a different sense to bands and comedians though.

I think the scenario is different between the elite popular clubs like Man U, Arsenal etc. and the likes of us, Stoke, WBA who don''t have millions of plastic fans and tourists all wanting a seat.

We''re kind of the halfway house whereby we have a decent loyal following, a few bandwagoners and not many tourists/ casual fans. You wouldn''t likely see an American family come on holiday to England or a Chinese businessman come over and deliberately come to Carrow Road like you would see them go to Old Trafford or Anfield. These are the types that drive the ticket prices up to unrealistic levels. You only have to see the Liverpool season ticket holders selling off games on their season tickets for £200+ a pop to Norwegian fans to see what''s wrong. This cap of £30 will likely see an emergence of touts and sites like Viagogo relisting the tickets for £50 or so.

If a team can sell out their ground for £70 a ticket then by simple business rules it''s fair enough but there''s obviously more to it. I''d feel a bit aggrieved though if tickets were a quid but I could never go see a match because of demand.

Perhaps they need more initiatives for kids or loyal exiles rather than a blanket cap in the level of pricing. It'' a nice short term win for the common fan but I can''t help but think the problem is way bigger than this.[/quote]I don''t think it will cause a shift in demand really, as I said above people who go to away games, go. It makes no sense, it costs a packet in travel and food etc. I doubt someone who has never travelled away will suddenly want to because its 15 or 20 quid cheaper.But its a recognition that football, as a whole, is too expensive, and I hope it will be the start of reform.