Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Top Paid Directors

[quote user="Les"]Its just as well I''m here to talk some of you down off the ledge.I''m sure you push some over the ledge.[:D][:D][/quote][;)]

Trust me, theres a few I''d happily drop kick right off the ledge right now.[:)]

Not quite sure what the issue is here

Without David Mc, with Delia at the helm ,she led us to L1, appointed a manager that did not have a coaching badge (but liked drinking with the players) and we were on the verge of falling into a black hole - the Conference beckoned

He is worth double what he gets - if he walked we would be in serious poopoo

If Delia led us to League One then She led us back to the PL. Three times actually....

Reading this thread got me thinking that we have the makings of a University Challenge team amongst us. Introducing...

Purple - Reading last years accounts.

Nutty - Reading the Bowthorpe News.

Tilly - Reading the Leccy Meter.

Crafty - Reading the Daily Mail.

and Gunthorpe - Reading the Beano.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Apparently Mr McNally is the seventh highest paid director in the Premier League on £1,137,000 according to a review of club accounts in the Daily Mail. Only the Manchester, North London clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool pay more.

Does he give good value for this huge salary?[/quote]Yes, of course he justifies that salary - haven''t you been entertained since we went down to the third tier and swiftly returned to the Premier?I guess his cart-wheeling whilst juggling water-filled balloons would''ve been a bonus in the duration, but I''m happy enough with his contribution.

It could be argued that it takes quite a while to accurately judge the effectiveness of a job like CEO, not least because there are lots of confounding variables to account for. Flaws in strategy can often take a while for their negative effects to magnify into something obvious, a good example being our slide into League One.Lots of businesses appear to be doing well at a particular point, but it''s often years later that problems can be identified with the benefit of hindsight. It''s probably more common than not for the mistakes and miscalulations to go unnoticed at the time that they were made.

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Not quite sure what the issue is here Without David Mc, with Delia at the helm ,she led us to L1, appointed a manager that did not have a coaching badge (but liked drinking with the players) and we were on the verge of falling into a black hole - the Conference beckoned He is worth double what he gets - if he walked we would be in serious poopoo[/quote]

That bits not true.

[quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]We could just get Neil Doncaster back. No big.[/quote]
I stupidly got into ''debate'' on one of the NCFC Facebook groups. One of them told me that McNally is now on par with Neil Doncaster.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]We could just get Neil Doncaster back. No big.[/quote]
I stupidly got into ''debate'' on one of the NCFC Facebook groups. One of them told me that McNally is now on par with Neil Doncaster.
[/quote]Since I am in a mischievous mood, that isn''t quite so stupid as it sounds. Doncaster''s first four or so years were very successful, and then it started to go pear-shaped. A not dissimilar trajectory to how it was with McNally until the appointment of Neil, and now even that is being questioned (albeit not by me).The truth is that the CEO of a mid-ranking pauper club such as ours will often be at the mercy of events, and faced with unenviable choices. Unless you are very lucky, or have done a Faustian deal with the Devil, you will never have a CEO (or owners) who will always get it right.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]We could just get Neil Doncaster back. No big.[/quote]
[/quote]Since I am in a mischievous mood, that isn''t quite so stupid as it sounds. Doncaster''s first four or so years were very successful, and then it started to go pear-shaped. A not dissimilar trajectory to how it was with McNally until the appointment of Neil, and now even that is being questioned (albeit not by me).The truth is that the CEO of a mid-ranking pauper club such as ours will often be at the mercy of events, and faced with unenviable choices. Unless you are very lucky, or have done a Faustian deal with the Devil, you will never have a CEO (or owners) who will always get it right.[/quote]

But if you are paying them over a million pounds every year then i think you have the right to expect them to get it right most of the time!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]We could just get Neil Doncaster back. No big.[/quote]
[/quote]Since I am in a mischievous mood, that isn''t quite so stupid as it sounds. Doncaster''s first four or so years were very successful, and then it started to go pear-shaped. A not dissimilar trajectory to how it was with McNally until the appointment of Neil, and now even that is being questioned (albeit not by me).The truth is that the CEO of a mid-ranking pauper club such as ours will often be at the mercy of events, and faced with unenviable choices. Unless you are very lucky, or have done a Faustian deal with the Devil, you will never have a CEO (or owners) who will always get it right.[/quote]

But if you are paying them over a million pounds every year then i think you have the right to expect them to get it right most of the time![/quote]Touché, Jim! And bear in mind Doncaster''s total pay package was only around £180,000 a year, so mistakes-wise he represented much better value for money than McNally...

Jim Smith, I am sure you are familiar with the debate about CEO''s earning over £1M and expecting them to do a good job of running a Multi Million pound Business, and the footballers who earn far more than that, and expecting them to kick a ball in the right direction?

[quote user="AJ"]The figure has no reputable truth so I wouldn''t believe it until told others. In any case, this probably includes a massive promotion bonus which he must take some credit for.

Along with Bowkett he helped steady a sinking ship and has spent what certainly feels like more time in the Prem with us than out of it.

You pay for what you get, and we have a very, very good chairman who deserves a decent salary. Let''s also consider what the players take home each year![/quote]Ed Balls doesn''t get paid anything. It''s the Chief Exec who''s on the mega-moolah.I think DM has done a great job since 2009 but whether he''s worth all these huge bonuses when we''re relegated I''m not too sure.

Smithy.. your glass is down to the dregs. We were relegated 2 years ago!

But then I still blame McNally for the pedestrianisation of London Street...