Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Top Paid Directors

Apparently Mr McNally is the seventh highest paid director in the Premier League on £1,137,000 according to a review of club accounts in the Daily Mail. Only the Manchester, North London clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool pay more.

Does he give good value for this huge salary?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Apparently Mr McNally is the seventh highest paid director in the Premier League on £1,137,000 according to a review of club accounts in the Daily Mail. Only the Manchester, North London clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool pay more.

Does he give good value for this huge salary?[/quote]Except that is not his salary. Which for last season (the latest available figures) was £586,000. The figure of £1.137m comes from adding on bonuses. As I have said before, there should be more clarity and openness about what are the justifications for McNally''s bonuses. Sadly whatever clarity there was before was sharply reduced in the last set of accounts, so it was, for example, not possible to determine if he missed out, as he should have done, on a financial target bonus.

The figure has no reputable truth so I wouldn''t believe it until told others. In any case, this probably includes a massive promotion bonus which he must take some credit for.

Along with Bowkett he helped steady a sinking ship and has spent what certainly feels like more time in the Prem with us than out of it.

You pay for what you get, and we have a very, very good chairman who deserves a decent salary. Let''s also consider what the players take home each year!

David McNally has lifted the club in its worst ever position to be where we are now. He has been worth every penny and I hope a man that we have at the helm for a long time.

I believe the decision with sacking hughton and bringing in adams was not a decision ultimately with him, I think the decision would have come earlier if left to him and Adams would not have been his first choice. If given time he will bring in the right character to lead this club on the playing side. I do think we are in a precarious situation now and that 17th was going to be tough goal. But now it is up to the manager he was part of recruiting and the playing squad he has help build following instruction from managers, team and scouts.

Gosh why can anyone doubt he is worth this money.

What surprises me is why others haven''t come and taken him away. It just goes to show how loyal he is to the club and to Delia and Michael

What a man! What a club

We are so so lucky to have them all

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Apparently Mr McNally is the seventh highest paid director in the Premier League on £1,137,000 according to a review of club accounts in the Daily Mail. Only the Manchester, North London clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool pay more. Does he give good value for this huge salary?[/quote]

Looks like this stick you chose to beat the club with has turned into a tiny tiny twig.

Bet you feel a bit silly now.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Crafty Canary"]Apparently Mr McNally is the seventh highest paid director in the Premier League on £1,137,000 according to a review of club accounts in the Daily Mail. Only the Manchester, North London clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool pay more.

Does he give good value for this huge salary?[/quote]Except that is not his salary. Which for last season (the latest available figures) was £586,000. The figure of £1.137m comes from adding on bonuses. As I have said before, there should be more clarity and openness about what are the justifications for McNally''s bonuses. Sadly whatever clarity there was before was sharply reduced in the last set of accounts, so it was, for example, not possible to determine if he missed out, as he should have done, on a financial target bonus.[/quote]Further to that, the West Brom director listed just below McNally is Jeremey Peace, the owner/chairman. We do not pay our chairman or our owners anything. The comparable figure to McNally at West Brom is their CEO, who only gets £600,000, albeit still more than McNally''s basic salary. And combined they get more than he does. There may be other such examples below us in that list.

It should be no surprise that the corporate management side of football has jumped on the gravy train and is starting to see salaries and bonuses not dissimilar to the obscene amounts the players get paid, despite the fact that they get handed a massive proportion of their turnover on a plate by sky and have a captive audience of customers who will come back whatever rubbish is served up!

Put simply if we go down then no he''s not worth that sort of money. If we stay up then fair enough. i would much prefer to see a system with a lower basic salary and bigger promotion/staying up related bonuses to incentivise performance. Obviously balanced against that there must also be financial targets to avoid reckless spending to stay up but I hope those have been relaxed a little since we became debt free otherwise you go the other way and have a director being rewarded for balancing the books whilst overseeing failure and relegation on the pitch,

AJ, how do you know we have a "very, very good Chairman"? Also, how much should we pay him?

We also don''t the substance behind the other figures in that list and whether they contain merely basic salaries, or also bonuses etc.

The figures quoted in the DM article are taken from the published annual accounts of the clubs. So TC Canary, despite your bigotry, they are not made up by the DM unless, of course, you think the clubs are publishing fraudulent accounts. Furthermore I am not using it as a stick, or in your case twig, to beat the club but as an interesting comparison for discussion. Maybe you''re the one who should be feeling small?

Oh dear, there''s so much that you''ve managed to get wrong here. I didn''t say they were made up I said don''t expect any journalistic integrity. The DM are the sort of organisation that would do one of these ''cut and paste'' articles without applying any sense checking to the data, sadly some individuals fall for this and themselves just regurgitate it. Others (like Purple Canary) take time to analyse what is being presented and then give a reasoned opinion.

I expect your first instinct on reading this article was to post on here about it as it fits your anti-club agenda.

Without knowing how the figures break down and the comparitive success of the other CEs it''s difficult to make a judgement. If we knew all the salaries of all the club employees I suspectone of the best values for money would be Kev the steward in the blankets.

Crafty reads the Daily Mail! Who''d have thunk it.....

:)

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]The figures quoted in the DM article are taken from the published annual accounts of the clubs. So TC Canary, despite your bigotry, they are not made up by the DM unless, of course, you think the clubs are publishing fraudulent accounts. Furthermore I am not using it as a stick, or in your case twig, to beat the club but as an interesting comparison for discussion. Maybe you''re the one who should be feeling small?[/quote]But you have not acknowledged that you described this as his salary when it isn''t. And this is not a just semantic difference. His overall package is high on that list because he received a bonus almost as big as his basic salary.The only fair comparison is with basic salaries (in which case McNally might well be pretty low down) unless account is taken of what parts (if any) of those figures for the other 19 are accounted for by bonuses. And how comparable and genuine those bonuses - if any - are in terms of being deserved. For example, McNally was paid £1.6m in 2013 but missing some bonus money (because of relegation) reduced that the next year and last year. McNally is effectively paid by results. How true is that of the other 19?Nor have you acknowledged the case of West Brom (and there may be others) where there are two executive directors, and they are paid in total more than McNally''s overall package as our one executive director.I look forward with the keenest anticipation to your revised list that takes the above salient points, and others, into account.

Whatever the nuances of the Daily Mail article, I doubt it has been written to make any particular point, for or against, any particular club and there will no doubt be fans up and down the country saying, ah yes but…. My suspicions are that if all these ‘nuances’ were stripped out the final picture would be very similar and on that point, whilst our CEO’s total package includes bonuses, I suspect the others do too? From memory this total salary has been circa this figure for a few years now, including our relegation and promotion years.

So, as Norwich is just outside the Europa League places of CEO pay, and has been for a number of years including relegation and Championship years, sitting as we do in 7th position behind, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool a ‘value for money’ review may be worthwhile.

There are many ways in which value for money can be assessed but as our CEO is overseer of all that happens at the club, I guess there are two main areas that can be measured, financial and football and they are both intertwined, insomuch as if we cut back on spending then this in turn could affect the football performance and if the football performance is so dire we have to spend, then this in turn could affect the financial performance.

Has the financial aspect been successful, well we keep being told we’re debt free, so I guess the answer is yes if that is the sole method of success. However, if other aspects are taken into account, such as; value for money, return on investment, customer satisfaction there may be a feeling that not everything in the garden is rosy.

Now the football side, well this could be debated ad infinitum, but we came up to the Prem under our current CEO, which was great, then in our third season we were relegated, which was poor, we came back up again, which was expected and nearly blown and currently we sit in the bottom 3 with one point from 30, which is disappointing. None of which means a great deal, until you look at the fortunes of the 6 clubs that pay their CEO’s more than us and many of those below us in the CEO league that don’t, in fact some only one third or less of our CEO’s salary, then things may start to take a different slant.

On top of the two main key performance indicators above, there are many other things that can, and should IMO, be taken into account, such as; what sort of ambassador a CEO is for the club, not just with the fans but within the football world in general, how respected he is and what image he creates with other CEO’s, agents, players, the media, etc. and finally, if you are going to pay that sort of salary, not only would you expect all the above to be top notch but surely you would expect the behaviour of your CEO to be impeccable too, wouldn’t you?

I draw no conclusion, other than to say, if you are going to pay top 7 salaries, then you expect top 7 performance, I’ll leave you to be the judges on whether we are, or are not, getting value for money and I''m not advocating we should pay less (or more) nor indeed change the individual, although anyone familiar with Value Analysis, as used within the corporate world, understands that Value = Function (Performance)/Cost.

One last thought, it would be interesting to establish what these salaries represent as a % of club turnover, it may well be we are top of the Premiership – yippee!!

Oh dear his overall remuneration is salary plus bonuses but he still places seventh. Other clubs pay bonuses no doubt so the comparison is still valid as bonuses reflect performance of the club. Stoke City, for example, last season had their best ever finish in the Premier League I believe. Their CE was paid £773,000 which would also include any bonus. On this basis us getting promoted would merit a total remuneration over half as much again as that of Stoke City'' s CE. I am not saying that Mr McNally does or does not deserve what he receives instead I was giving factual information with no opinion either way.

As regards WBA, their owner Jeremy Peace was paid £1,020,000. I have no idea what their CE was paid but obviously it was less. It is totally irrelevant that together they are paid more as we don''t know what their respective responsibilities are just that their highest paid director got less than our highest paid director and he (Peace) owns the club. NCFC employ other senior executives who are not board members but do support our CE in running the club. Perhaps we should add their remuneration to his for comparison with WBA.

Ray wrote:

........One last thought, it would be interesting to establish what these salaries represent as a % of club turnover, it may well be we are top of the Premiership – yippee!!

A very good point Ray. Since those 6 clubs are much bigger than ours it is a near certainty that remuneration as a % of turnover would place us top.

"I was giving factual information with no opinion either way. "

Now that''s funny and a bit sad that you''re not at all self aware.

even with bonus'' thats only circa £20k pw; huge for you and I but bog standard for players in the championship and well below a £30k-£40k basic many of our players are on, over £2m pa.

Does mcnally provide better value than most or all of the players in making us a prem club? Probably...

Lets cut through the crap and hype. He got us from League 1 to the championship due in the main to picking Lambert as manager. Since then he has presided over probably 2 promotions to the PL and 2 relegation''s so we are more or less back to where we were. There has been fun and disappointment on the way but if we get stuck in the championship again for a decade what will be the final analysis of his reign. During that period many mistakes were made during our past and probably current relegation season and even our promotion last season was despite the boards efforts rather than a careful plan that came good. We have had far worse eg the clueless Doncaster. Mc Nally is ok but certainly not the miracle worker often hyped to be

[quote user="Hull Canary"]Gosh why can anyone doubt he is worth this money.

What surprises me is why others haven''t come and taken him away. It just goes to show how loyal he is to the club and to Delia and Michael

What a man! What a club

We are so so lucky to have them all[/quote]The portly pieman of the Waveney Valley has spoken.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Ray wrote:

........One last thought, it would be interesting to establish what these salaries represent as a % of club turnover, it may well be we are top of the Premiership – yippee!!

A very good point Ray. Since those 6 clubs are much bigger than ours it is a near certainty that remuneration as a % of turnover would place us top.[/quote]

Crafty,

That we are a higer % than the top six is a sort of given, the remaing 13 would be an interesting comparison though, plus perhaps a % of, players wages and net transfer spend. If there are CEO''s out there whose salary is a lot less than our CEO''s as a % of net transfer spend, turnover and any other KPI''s I''ve missed, then it could, be argued there are better people out there, especially if their club is performing at a higher level, whatever that means. There are many ''ponderables'' but I assume some sort of comparison/review is performed by the club when contracts are renewed, or at least I sincerely hope they are, does this fall under due dilligence, I don''t know but either way it surely is considered good business practice?

Good post Ray. But as far as I''m aware this figure will include promotion bonus. Not all clubs won promotion. As fans we''d agree with these bonuses in a championship season but whinge and whine when we''re losing in the prem. If you read this board for a period of time you will see how many different things people whinge about when we''re losing games that they don''t appear to care about when we''re winning.

Crafty, it''s not a dig unless you''re ashamed of your paper of choice. I don''t mind anyone commenting about me reading the Bowthorpe News and the Cromer Crabline...

This salary and bonuses cover our season in the Championship for which some here claim he was paid a bonus for promotion. I believe the players took a hit on the contracts of 40% as a result of a clause regarding relegation. That 40% i am sure i read somewhere and i will no doubt be corrected if i am wrong so taking that i am right can someone tell me if Mr. McNally took a 40% drop as well as the players at the period ending 30th June 2014 ? If he did not take that drop he therefore takes the credit when we get promoted but not the consequences of relegation.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Oh dear his overall remuneration is salary plus bonuses but he still places seventh. Other clubs pay bonuses no doubt so the comparison is still valid as bonuses reflect performance of the club. Stoke City, for example, last season had their best ever finish in the Premier League I believe. Their CE was paid £773,000 which would also include any bonus. On this basis us getting promoted would merit a total remuneration over half as much again as that of Stoke City'' s CE. I am not saying that Mr McNally does or does not deserve what he receives instead I was giving factual information with no opinion either way.

As regards WBA, their owner Jeremy Peace was paid £1,020,000. I have no idea what their CE was paid but obviously it was less. It is totally irrelevant that together they are paid more as we don''t know what their respective responsibilities are just that their highest paid director got less than our highest paid director and he (Peace) owns the club. NCFC employ other senior executives who are not board members but do support our CE in running the club. Perhaps we should add their remuneration to his for comparison with WBA.[/quote]Oh dear indeed. You have not a clue whether anything you have said in your first paragraph about other clubs is factually correct. It is all weasel-worded ("not doubt" and "would include") hopeful guesswork that is easily recognised as such. And of course it is relevant that it costs West Brom the salaries of two directors, since two are doing the executve-director work for which we pay just one.

Nutty,

I agree re promotion bonus, there doesn''t appear to be a relegation clause though, insomuch his basic salary is halved, although he will have missed out on bonuses but so will have the players.

You could of course then argue every employee of the club should have a relegation clause but they don''t all earn circa £25,000 per week as the players and CEO do and are not in a position to influence the on-field performance to any extent.

Whinging and whining when things go wrong is in general human nature. Those that are proactive whilst enjoying success, will have performed a FMEA (Failure Mode Effexts Analysis) and have ready made actions/processes/policies in place to avoid/minimise any failure and will conduct ongoing reveiws of the same. Furthermore, this also ensures any actions taken when ''things go wrong'' are not knee jerk but well thought out.

Whether as a club we do this sort of thing I know not, I suspect we don''t but not many businesses do.