Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

McLaren out, Benitez in

what a good decisionnice to see affirmative action by a club whos manager was clearly not the right man to keep them up

I wonder if this will work. Benitez is used to managing clubs who win things and I don''t think he''s ever had to work with a team that''s really struggling. He does fancy himself a bit tooIf Newcastle get a new manager '' bounce '' then we''ve had it as there''s no chance our Board will sack AN.We go with what we''ve got as they say.

Regardless of the manager, they''re going to finish in the bottom four. As are us and Sunderland. It''s now just a question of the order.

With the players at their disposal I would favour Newcastle to stay up now. Even if we were to sack AN this evening (which is not a course of action I would favor, for the avoidance of doubt) and both clubs enjoyed the supposed ''new manager bounce'', we can''t both stay up. Who could we get in who is likely to get our squad more competitive than Benitez could do for the Toon?

Anything can still happen, though. All this has done is shift the likelihoods/probabilities about.

Pride before a fall you Geordies - and I still say Swansea aren''t going to get another point! Just a shame I can''t see where we are going to get enough though!

Can they not make up their minds! Yesterday they were keeping him "after" a meeting. Today he''s sacked.

Benitez appointed. Very bad news for us!

The one thing you can rely on is that Newcastle never get it right. As for Benitez, how do you start a season at Real Madrid, where you have the likes of Ronaldo, a team full of stars etc and there are only half a dozen pressure games a season, and then end it at Newcastle where, you have a team full of donkeys and every game is going to be a pressure game.No worries, this is going to be a another Newcastle failure because he won''t turn it around.

[quote user="Chip20"]With the players at their disposal I would favour Newcastle to stay up now. Even if we were to sack AN this evening (which is not a course of action I would favor, for the avoidance of doubt) and both clubs enjoyed the supposed ''new manager bounce'', we can''t both stay up. Who could we get in who is likely to get our squad more competitive than Benitez could do for the Toon?

Anything can still happen, though. All this has done is shift the likelihoods/probabilities about.[/quote]
It just goes to show the gulf between us and a club like Newcastle when they can get someone like Benitez in for a relegation fight - however much money must they be paying him? I feel sorry for their fans in a way, we moan about our club but they are a big established PL club with 50k fans turning up every week to watch dross from mega money players who couldn''t care less. Obviously still hope they go down instead of us though [:D]

[quote user="Making Plans"]The one thing you can rely on is that Newcastle never get it right. As for Benitez, how do you start a season at Real Madrid, where you have the likes of Ronaldo, a team full of stars etc and there are only half a dozen pressure games a season, and then end it at Newcastle where, you have a team full of donkeys and every game is going to be a pressure game.No worries, this is going to be a another Newcastle failure because he won''t turn it around.[/quote]

MP, you may well be right, but a fresh manager normally gets some kind of reaction (AN''s first game against Bournemouth!) It''s hard to see where we''re going to score let alone win a game, and Newcastle may only have to win one (probably against us knowing how we play against the bottom teams) and that could well be enough for safety!

Reminiscent of when we got rid of Hughton with just a few games to go. They pick an experienced manager, we went for an ex local DJ..............!

But seriously though, much as I think it is not a long term option for them, I do see this as a good short term move as McLaren was clearly floundering and the profile and experience of Benitez must be likely to have a positive effect.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Reminiscent of when we got rid of Hughton with just a few games to go. They pick an experienced manager, we went for an ex local DJ..............!

But seriously though, much as I think it is not a long term option for them, I do see this as a good short term move as McLaren was clearly floundering and the profile and experience of Benitez must be likely to have a positive effect.[/quote]

He has brought his entire coaching staff in - Sky are estimating a cost in the region of £10m to the end of the season to include bonuses for staying up.

That''s only one decent player so a sound investment but one which is out of our league.

However, they still have to work with players who are not at the standard they are used to. Can they really get the Newcastle defence to stop the opposition scoring? I think the bubble will burst big time at Leicester on Monday - everyone seems to think they will just have to turn up to win games with Benitez in charge.

It''s still 3 from 4 and anyone who gets to 36 points out of them will stay up.

Great decision for Newcastle. Allardyce will easily keep Sunderland up. Given how poorly Swansea are playing at the moment they must be seriously worried about joining us and Villa. Disappointing, but not surprising, we weren''t prepared for a last, desperate roll of the dice.

It''s a gamble either way for us.

Statistically, there''s no such thing as a new manager bounce - on average, teams on a bad run tend to improve, whether or not they replace their manager.

Not at all convinced by Benitez as a manager for a team battling relegation.  And to say Allardyce will "easily" keep Sunderland us is a bit of a tall order.

As for Swansea, with two wins on the bounce, they''re probably la lot ess worried than they were a couple of games ago...

Realistically its 2 from 3 to go down, it''s in our hands, but results are now all that matters, not the quality of the performance.

Statistically, there''s no such thing as a new manager bounce - on average, teams on a bad run tend to improve, whether or not they replace their manager.

it is in fact 80 % of new managers win their first game also ex professionals state that it lifts the fans ( newcastle will be rocking now )

some players want to prove worth to new manager when they were not played by old manager fresh ideas tactics

also newcastle now has a champions league winner

well known for cup success newcastle have 10 cup finals

but we dont need any of that stick with a manager which is not working hoping it will all be ok in the end !

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

It''s a gamble either way for us.

Not at all convinced by Benitez as a manager for a team battling relegation.  And to say Allardyce will "easily" keep Sunderland us is a bit of a tall order.

As for Swansea, with two wins on the bounce, they''re probably la lot ess worried than they were a couple of games ago...

Realistically its 2 from 3 to go down, it''s in our hands, but results are now all that matters, not the quality of the performance.

[/quote]There is a much-quoted Dutch survey to that effect, but that was based on examining very short bad runs, of only four or five games. That has no relevance to the majority of sackings, where there is usually a much longer-term and/or deep-seated reason for the dismissal. As with Newcastle United here, where a team that everyone seems to think has quite enough quality players to survive comfortably has instead been underperforming all season.

obviously Mclaren would get the sack before Neil did.

They''re an ambitious club and wanna stay in the premier league. We don''t on the other hand or as some dimbos would say on here

"i prefer championship football" duuurrrrr