Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Will Neil be sacked this weekend??

If he was to be sacked, which I see as very unlikely, the two candidates I could see the board choosing are Gary Holt or Russell Martin as player manager, and neither of those install any confidence. Whoever is in charge next season in whatever division we are in needs to make a serious overhaul of the squad and hopefully use a youthful squad with a few elder quality players and build from there.

I could argue does being in work make you a good manager?

One thing I do know is that whatever''s going on at the moment isn''t working.

..and one thing the past has shown us is that sitting on your hands solves nothing.

My money''s on Huckerby LOL!

He was being paraded in his managers tracksuit last week.....................

Russell Martin player coach, ha ha ha ha... well done for making me smile. The bloke can''t organise himself, let alone the team around him in his current role. Ridiculous.

[quote user="STAN"]My money''s on Huckerby LOL!

He was being paraded in his managers tracksuit last week.....................[/quote]

He could form a managerial double act with Dion, as our clubs loves employing from the media. I wonder if a big man-little man duo has ever been done in management. And if we suddenly went bust he could always have Carrow Road on homes under the hammer.

Just have a read through this thread to see the wisdom of the various posters, in on post we have Swansea "rolling the dice and replacing Gary Monk", yet we have the name of Gary Monk appearing on the list of potential managerial replacements.

Apparently we are "stingy" rather than towards the bottom of the Premiership rich list, an interesting opinion, but just that an opinion.

So, how much do we think it would cost to sack Alex Neil in terms of paying up his contract and paying compensation? The next question (leaving aside the failures and not a cats chance in hell candidates already listed) is who is going to replace Alex Neil and how much will they cost?

When responding please try to avoid the cliche of the prize of Premiership millions on offer and try to come up with a reasonable answer based on the situation we are in, namely we are a relatively small club, with relatively small resources that will not go down the path of living in excess of it means, languishing at the foot of the Premiership with nine games to go and a fantastically average squad of players and tell me who the likely candidates are for manager that we can afford, has the expertise/experience to guarantee our survival (note the word "guarantee").............

You can''t "guarantee" anything in football...

1 things for sure whatever''s going on ATM isn''t working.

I really hope those suggesting Moyes or Rodgers are trolling and don''t actually believe they would come here - if so it''s worrying they have access to the internet at whatever facility they are confined in.
We''re little old Norwich and scrapping at the bottom of the PL is where we should expect to be, regardless of who the manager is. If you try to measure squad values, wages, transfer fees etc. we are always going to be at or near the bottom in this league so the position we find ourselves in shouldn''t come as a surprise to anyone.
Neil gets a lot of criticism on here for tinkering, but I genuinely think he''s trying to squeeze the most out of the limited resources he has to work with. If you start from the position that on paper we''re weaker than probably every other team, it''s Neil''s job to try and find us an edge in each game and his changes of system, formation and tactics are an attempt to do that.
I believe Neil''s instincts are to play attacking possession based football and we started the season that way with full backs flying forward, centre backs pushed wide and Tettey dropping back to cover, but it quickly became clear we just weren''t good enough to maintain that kind of system.
Certainly some of the signings have been a disappointment but that''s a failing of the club''s recruitment strategy as a whole and not solely Neil''s fault, not to mention that every club makes signings that turn out to be poor with hindsight.
What I''d love to see is a new money bags owner so we can compete with Bournemouth or Watford, but failing that I''d like to see Neil given long term backing (whatever league we are in) to build and develop a young squad that can play entertaining football and keep knocking on the door of the prem.

"If we can''t afford to sack a manager who was previously working at Hamilton Academical for peanuts then we''ve some serious financial issues".

Its not financial issues. Its the board being tightwads yet again. It would cost peanuts to sack Neil yes, but will they willing to pay someone more? Probably not. They prefer to gamble.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]Sack Hoots after 18 months, Appoint Adams, Sack Adams after 9 months, appoint Neil, Sack Neil after a year... the next joker comes in and doesn''t turn us in to Bayern Munich over night.. sack him after 3 games...why not give Neil another season at least to come back better.if he takes us up again he''ll be the messiah again won''t he?[/quote]He won''t take us up[/quote]and your evidence for this is? bear in mind he already has.

He took us up with somebody elses squad , putting one together himself seems to be beyond him , signed so much dross that he wont even play his own signings .Should pack him back off to Scotland and give him Tony Andreau as a parting gift .

Ever since lambert stood up to the board and was told to go, the board has opted for rookies. Why? Because they tend to be yes men and put up with crap that established professional managers would not.

his signings are the fault of the scouts !

when we lose it is the players are not good enough !

when are we going to start looking at him and his coaching staff

not one player has improved under him

no player is playing out of his skin

leicester are where they are because of their manager

we are where we are because of our manager simple

better coaches managers would have us higher in the league or at least more points

i am not saying top of league like leicester but picking up more points than we are now

managers have fit teams at different time AN did that last season lambert before him lambert didnt fit at aston villa

and now its time for AN to lose his place here its not working we are not picking up points its a results based business and results are shocking

In answer to the original question - No, he will not be sacked this weekend, next weekend or any weekend after that, this or next season.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]In answer to the original question - No, he will not be sacked this weekend, next weekend or any weekend after that, this or next season.[/quote] Yes he will , he is useless and most people have seen through him now , might as well bring back Gunny at least he signed Holt and won a few games .

You can''t blame "scouts" for Neil''s signings..

He was well aware of what Andreu had to offer..

He had been chasing Naismith and Bamford since the summer.

He had the benefit of having Dorrans and Jarvis on loan and he still decided to sp*nk a load of money bringing them in permanently.

He was well of aware of what Mulumbu and Wisdom had to offer and was absolutely delighted with both signings.

Jake Kean was the most bizarre piece of business i''ve seen.

You could argue Pinto and Klose might''ve been recommended by "scouts" but the buck stops with Neil. He confirmed recently he has the final say on all signings.

If they fail he has to be held accountable.

You can judge a manager on whether the squad he has is over or under achieving. We have picked up one point in quarter of a season!

Again that''s one point in quarter of a Season! For ducks sake our squad is not that bad. The buck stops with the manager and he should go if we are to have any chance of staying up this season.

FJSPSOB maybe nobody would debate with youbecause when somebody comes up with a name it is shot down in flames?

I would take Pearson over Neil anyday because he has actually got Leicester out of a worse mire than we are in currently! Would he come here? Who knows other than Pearson himself but all those managerial agents on here are adamant he wouldnt come when the truth is nobody actually knows if he would?

Do you think Leicester fans thought Ranieri would go there? I doubt many did, but they are ecstatic he did.

Some people arent money driven and actually like a challenge so whos actually to say Pearson or Moyes or Rodgers wouldnt come?

Nobody can guarantee survival FJSPSOB which I''m sure you know is the only truthful answer when you posed the question.

The timing of a managers replacement is a judgement call which only the board can take as only they know who is available and whether we can afford them. We as fans can only know that AN has presided over a run of one point from quarter of the season and that if nothing is done we are very likely to go down.

I''d take Nigel Pearson as he has more of the qualities and experience needed to scrap out of this mess than AN seems to have at the moment. That''s my judgement call.

I''ll give you a quick debate Faded Jaded..

I would struggle to give you a name that would give us a "75%" chance of staying up... things have gone to far.

..but what''s our current stance under Neil? I would give him a ''15%'' chance at best?

If their''s somebody out there that could even increase our chances by 10% surely it''s worth the punt?

I''m not paid thousands of pounds to make these crucial decisions.. Mcnally pulled a rabbit out of the hat bringing in Neil, is their any reason he couldn''t dig around for another to stave of relegation?

IMO if we stick with Neil we''re relegated, can we afford to not roll the dice?

FJSPSOB - if we changed manager any appointment would be a gamble. Two I could go for but that would be underwhelming and met with hoots of derision from many would be -

Michael Appleton - doing well ang playing nice football at Oxford.

Phil Brown - more experienced and a man who I think has learned from his mistakes.

Anybody else anyone?

No. Like Worthy he''ll be given a decent chance at getting us up next season. If by November it doesn''t look likely then he''ll be out. For the record I like the guy and he shouldn''t be blamed for taking us up a season too early.

Finances available vs all other Prem clubs = yo yo status.

Managers who take us up and / or keep us up = heroes.

Managers who oversee our relegations = villains.

Keep Neil until December at least.

The real question and answer is... can it get any worse?

Some people seem content with the fact Neil could get us promoted again.

First and foremost I don''t want to see us relegated again. Secondly I have genuine concerns if Neil could gain promotion again. The majority of our current squad will remain, do/will they still believe in him?

Say we do somehow manage to stay up, do you believe he''s the man for another PL season? He''s fell short at almost every hurdle this season.. player recruitment, tactics, media management, player motivation.. if you aren''t currently asking questions of our manager then I have to question your sanity.

Much like Hughton I like Alex Neil, it isn''t a personal vendetta but i''ve lost all confidence in him.

[quote user="OnTheBall"]No. Like Worthy he''ll be given a decent chance at getting us up next season. If by November it doesn''t look likely then he''ll be out. For the record I like the guy and he shouldn''t be blamed for taking us up a season too early.[/quote]

How was it a season too early? How do we know of bounce back we would''ve lost Redmond, Howson, and countless more good players. I''m pretty sure it''s one of those things that is said that if you don''t go straight back up it becomes harder every season the i''m pretty sure it''s one of those things that is said that if you don''t go straight back up it becomes hotter every season they''re off there after.

Anybody else have problems with this forum duplicating sentences?

I just meant to say that if we didn''t come back up straightaway we would''ve probably lost a good portion of our quality players.

Relegation was nailed on following August''s failure. Neil will be here next season. We are little old Norwich after all. If only we could compete with the ''small'' clubs with ambition.