Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

So proud. Not a performance of a relegated team

Such fantastic performances from every player. O''Neil magnificent. Positive subs. Such encouragement for the next 4 matches.

That was an awesome result! This has to give the players a massive confidence boost for the games ahead!! Defence held their shape so well and that to me is the most battling performance I have seen for a very long time!! Get in City, we can stay up!!

Here Here!! if we carry on playing like that we should be ok WELL DONE City, good to see the team playing with passion and defending much better. Gary O''neil great play

Also, got to say that after the run we have been on it makes this result even more pleasing! Feels like a win, its only a point, but that could be so so important come the middle of May!!

Klose gets better and better by the game. He was a rock today but O''Neill pips it as MoM, imo. You can see how much it means to him, he battled non-stop all game. ust the sort of player and performance you need when you''re near the foot of the table. Have the physios put something in that head bandage?

O''Neil was much more effective than Tettey today. Hopefully he will stay fit and see the season out.

Great performance despite clear energy deficiency and the team still clearly working for Neil.

I wonder if we will hear from Borbyn now we are all praising the team?

We''ve played as well as this for the last month. This time we got something for it against a team most Pinkun predictors expected to crush us.

Nothing in the last month has indicated we''re out of contention for survival. We''ve played hard, played well, used game plans that keep us in games we''re expected to lose and could have won if people taking the shots could keep their cool (today it was Dorrans).

The results will come. This team (many Pinkun fans excluded) hasn''t given up.

Well, another match, still no win, but thats the only minus today. Maybe more importantly, a big psychological plus for the final 8 matches. So, talking just about todays performance,  what a  super solid performance from the defence! The Klose / Bennett combo looks our best central partnership, Klose is just getting better each game and starting to look genuine good buy. Olsson was good, but must single out Russ Martin today, not that he was better than the other defenders, but hes had so much flak, including from me, all season , today he was solid and gave a real premiership display.Midfield was  decent, Bamford showed some class, all things considered, today just gave  City fans the pride back, and the guys on the pitch played for the club and for Alex.

Really determined performance.  Good to see the players haven''t lost hope.I wasn''t expecting anything today. But thought if we could get to half time without conceding there was a chance to get something, and so it proved. Credit to the lads for sticking in there. Ruddy only had one big save to make.

According to The Beeb, we ran 5km more than Citeh today. Shows the lads really put an effort in today. Well done!

Heroic performance epitomised by ONeil, very pleased for him to have thrown off the shadow of his dismissal.

Just goes to show what can be achieved by working hard and keeping discipline, we are still very much in this.

Great.

I''m here to re-dress the balance of slagging off the team in the last few weeks.Didn''t see all of the game on my stream but saw a good battling performance which, in my opinion,has been missing recently.Well done to the whole team and the fans too, a very good point gained.My only worry is the stats (BBC), 3 attempts on goal, 0 on target, though I feel sure hitting the crossbaris near enough on target in my book.Feeling more optomistic this evening, felt so chuffed I went and cut the grass for the first time this year.[:D]

Great point. Just wish Klose had been here all season, if he had I doubt we''d be bottom 3 now. I don''t want to see any tinkering from Neil next week, send the same 11 out again

Olson rock solid too!

Man City mostly sue this wing but never lost 1 on 1 here !

Good defence we must build on this..

Too many missed players worries me only

still direct games who if win have good chance

otbc

Just wish we could pull this level of performance out more consistently. Playing half this well against Villa a, Watford a, Swansea a, WBA h, bournemouth a etc would have brought us enough points to survive by now.

the only reservation I''d have here is that its one thing to go out and be solid and disciplined against a side we knew would have the majority of possession and grind out a point.

But its not results like today that keep /will keep teams up. Its entirely another thing to organize a team to go out and be on the front foot to go out and win a match against sides who are down there with you, and thats been our failing in recent weeks against the likes of villa,bournemouth and swansea.

Thats why, however good todays display and point is , I''ll remain unconvinced that we have it in us to win enough of these next batch of 5 fixtures to keep us up.

i have also doubted Alex Neil as the right man for us

but after today i realise i might of made the wrong call

fantastic all round and exactly what i wanted to see more like AN of last season looked liked he had put all that he had learn''t from his mistakes together today

everything went to plan , team was very balanced

defence looked as good as we have had all season

klose looked very good and class and in control

it has changed my outlook on the manager

keep to this team today and we have a great chance of staying up

i like bamford has more to his game than any other striker only the bar saved man city today

I was also very proud today, awesome performance which will give the and us fans confidence for the run in

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the only reservation I''d have here is that its one thing to go out and be solid and disciplined against a side we knew would have the majority of possession and grind out a point.

But its not results like today that keep /will keep teams up. Its entirely another thing to organize a team to go out and be on the front foot to go out and win a match against sides who are down there with you, and thats been our failing in recent weeks against the likes of villa,bournemouth and swansea.

Thats why, however good todays display and point is , I''ll remain unconvinced that we have it in us to win enough of these next batch of 5 fixtures to keep us up.[/quote] On the contrary, our failures against "the likes of Villa, Bournemouth and Swansea" were due precisely to thinking we had to approach those games in more expansive fashion than against Man City today. It''s essential to be solid every game; the only difference is that, against weaker sides, we will enjoy more possession and the opportunities to turn possession into goals will be greater. We don''t need to "organise the team" any differently from today. My question is whether AN has yet learned this lesson or will he change things again because we are playing a relegation rival rather than a top-six side?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the only reservation I''d have here is that its one thing to go out and be solid and disciplined against a side we knew would have the majority of possession and grind out a point.

Thats why, however good todays display and point is , I''ll remain unconvinced that we have it in us to win enough of these next batch of 5 fixtures to keep us up.[/quote] On the contrary, our failures against "the likes of Villa, Bournemouth and Swansea" were due precisely to thinking we had to approach those games in more expansive fashion than against Man City today. It''s essential to be solid every game; the only difference is that, against weaker sides, we will enjoy more possession and the opportunities to turn possession into goals will be greater. We don''t need to "organise the team" any differently from today. My question is whether AN has yet learned this lesson or will he change things again because we are playing a relegation rival rather than a top-six side?[/quote]

not really, what happened against man city was as a result of the qualaity of players they have, our game was dictated by the fact that they were inevitably going to have the vast majority of possession. Our game of sitting on the edge on the edge of our box and containing them was dictated by that and we had no choice but to do that if we wanted to get a point out of it.

We have games coming up now against sides who will not have as much possession.

Are you proposing that when we play Newcastle and Sunderland at home that we put everyone behind the ball and all sit on the edge of our own penalty area?

when we play lesser teams are team can move up the pitch more

no we were not flat out attacking for alot of the game but if we had we would of lost due to that leaving more space at the back

man city would have loved that but could not break us down due to us over crowding the box

now like many will tell you i am not AN biggest fan but that was a great game for us a point against man city after the run we have had can only be a good thing

if we keep the same team and play like that we will beat newcastle and sunderland

GJL Mid Norfolk wrote: "Not really, what happened against man city was as a result of the

qualaity of players they have, our game was dictated by the fact that

they were inevitably going to have the vast majority of possession. Our

game of sitting on the edge on the edge of our box and containing them

was dictated by that and we had no choice but to do that if we wanted to

get a point out of it.

We have games coming up now against sides who will not have as much possession.

Are you proposing that when we play Newcastle and Sunderland at

home that we put everyone behind the ball and all sit on the edge of our

own penalty area?"
No, I''m not proposing that. What I''m saying is that it''s a mistake to think in terms of "this is an OK setup for playing away to a top six team but it''s not what you need against relegation rivals at home or even mid-table teams away". Defensive solidity is needed whoever you''re playing, home or away, and we''ve seen time and again that when AN has put out a team designed, in your words,  ".....to go out and be on the front foot and win a match against sides who are down there with you ......... the likes of Villa,Bournemouth and Swansea", we have far more often than not ended up losing. The point is that setting up as we did yesterday enabled us to take a point from the game. What restricted our opportunities further forward to just one piece of inspiration (from Bamford) and one genuine opening (Dorrans) was NOT how we set up and approached the game, but Man City''s quality. Against weaker opponents we would have done better attack-wise without leaving ourselves vulnerable as we so often have.If you want me to advocate something it would be to read Parma''s latest post (10.43 PM yesterday) on his Tactics Masterclass 11 thread. [Y]

in those 3 games you mention , Villa,Swansea and Bournemouth.....how many goals did we score??

Bournmeouth was just a complete mess all over the park in every department but in the case of Swansea and Villa , we didnt lose because we werent solid at the back, we lost because we were utterly punchless up front.....and thats going to be the issue with these next 5 games coming up. Can Neil conjure up a team that can score enough goals to win enough of these games.

Neil''s team selection at Villa Park still haunts me, with Hoolahan on one wing and Howson on the other, whilst Redmond and Jarvis both sat on the bench and I''m sure if we had that game again he would choose a different side.

That''s the sort of lesson I''m hoping he''s learnt going into these next games.