Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Lee Mason

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]FTW, these are people that are trained to deal with and make, decisions. It is not acceptable , that we ''make do'', not when so much is riding on their decisions. Now, whether they need extra help to get these decisions correct , is for another time, but at the moment, we have to run with what we have. Everyone makes mistakes, so with so much at stake, things need to change.

Is it the fault of the powers that be, who make our Refs, almost robotic like, with the current laws?

After the ''pass back incident, Mason, on at least 4 occasions, held his hand to his earpiece, and looked back up the field. Now , if there was no issue, why did he need to do that?

Also Mason''s inability, and weak refereeing, on Chelsea stoppages, was ridiculous, but you alluded to that in your favouritism comment.

I have been a Rugby referee, and also a Rugby referee''s assessor, so I have some insight into the whys and wherefores of officialdom, and this needs addressing.

Refs etc alone, are not responsible for our results, but they certainly are contributory, and at the end of this season, let''s see how close the bottom of the table is, and see what could have been.

Taking out the (wrong) key (Ref/linesmen) moments from last night, would you say that we deserved a point from the game?[/quote]I would say yes, we most definitely deserved a point from the game.[/quote]Cheers for the feedback Crabby, some interesting points there. Like Morty, I would agree we deserved a point from the game, and the incorrectly awarded second goal was absolutely pivotal in the result, especially given the timing of it. An awful error of judgement by the assistant referee could well have cost us a point, although obviously we''ll never know what might have happened had it been 1-0 at half time. As I said in my original post, I feel the assistant should be disciplined for such a blatant error of judgement.Not sure what Mason''s talking into the earpiece has to do with anything, frankly. It might be that he was telling the fourth official why he''d allowed Courtois to pick the ball up, so the fourth official could relay that information to NCFC''s coaching team?I''m a rugby fan myself, but the culture around officialdom in the two sports could not be more different. I would love players and even fans to have the respect for the officials that is displayed in rugby, but it can never happen. For the record, I''d be happy for full-scale trials of video evidence for key decisions – penalties, offsides, red cards – because referees have to run a diagonal right across the pitch in football, whereas a lot of key rugby decisions happen at the gainline and in the breakdown, so it''s easier for the referee to be closer to those key decisions. I''ve never officiated in rugby, but I''d imagine a rugby referee covers a lot less ground than a football referee, has fewer and shorter sprints over the course of a match, and has more significant breaks in play to get his breath back. As such, he''s more likely to be right there where and when he is needed than his footballing counterpart. Feel free to correct me if you think I''m talking nonsense... ;)

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Its simply rubish that Mason knew about the deflection off Jerome for the back pass. He had no idea and neither did any of the officials.[/quote]Please provide evidence to back up this claim.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Assuming they are actual working earpieces, why didn''t Mason simply tell

Michael Oliver (4th official) the reason why he hadnt awarded us a free

kick? The reason I say this is because at least 3 of the city bench

went and spoke to Oliver about the incident and all he could do in

response was shrug clearly say he didn''t know.[/quote]Maybe Oliver asked him to explain it when the City bench started berating him, and Mason explained it?[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Putting that aside however, how anyone can think he still had a good

game is crazy.[/quote]That referee''s training course and ten years of first-hand experience of refereeing must have been a waste of time, then. Oh well, can''t win ''em all.

I was particularly impressed with Mr Mason''s ability to totally ignore two off our wounded players who were writhing like bloodied casualty extras from Saving Private Ryan and in the throes of flat lining.......Preferring instead, to excitedly rush with major concern to Willian who was whimpering like a young toddler who''d taken a tumble in the playground - and was obviously suffering from a serious case of ''twisted sock''.....

Whilst witnessing the carnage unfolding on the pitch, I was also awaiting the impending taxiing arrival of Airbus 330 Flight 4801 from Morrison Car Park International to Carra Airport Airfield.....Alas, it was only the exaggerated Mason''s marshalling mannerisms to indicate to the concerned medical staff, that their immediate presence was required to straighten the unfortunate Chelski player''s sock - and with supreme surgical skill, hopefully then realign his shin pad......Whilst Rigor Mortis was rapidly setting in on the two guys wearing yellow shirts.....

I noticed one of the linesman giving Costa a lovely smile at the end of the game as they shook hands - I''m just not sure whether it was the corrupt one........

.....the camera didn''t linger long enough to catch the wink ( assuming there was one).......

Mason clearly didn''t see the back pass incident, he was clearly communicating with his linesman when the whole stadium started going mental.

So either the linesman clocked the touch by Jerome or both of them missed the incident completely. Either way it was the correct decision so nothing to complain about..

Saying that the offside was ridiculous and Mason was dreadful.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Its simply rubish that Mason knew about the deflection off Jerome for the back pass. He had no idea and neither did any of the officials.

Assuming they are actual working earpieces, why didn''t Mason simply tell Michael Oliver (4th official) the reason why he hadnt awarded us a free kick? The reason I say this is because at least 3 of the city bench went and spoke to Oliver about the incident and all he could do in response was shrug clearly say he didn''t know.

Putting that aside however, how anyone can think he still had a good game is crazy. Too many good tackles (from both teams) were punished, far too much diving resulting in free kicks and, as said before, the clash of heads summed up his bias towards them.[/quote]I saw it touch Jeromes foot and so why didnt any of the officials or are you just after an argument.Wether it was seen or not it was the correct decision or doesnt that matter

Interesting to see he continues to make appalling decisions! If you saw this incident, there is no way that was a yellow, let alone a red card. How does this man get away with it and continue to Ref in the Prem? Does make you wander about corruption within the game, he seems to make strange decisions every game!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35803664

Sorry can''t do clickys!

Was that from Saturday? (Haven''t looked at the link) If so, not forgetting the penalty that never was, in the same game. An absolute shocker of a game (AGAIN!)

Yea, two players going up for the ball, 50/50 and he decides to send Mane off. Even Mark Hughes said it wasnt near a red card! This bloke is not fit to ref Prem games!

Great goal by Leicester last night - very similar to the one Jerome scored on the first game of the season. That remains Simon Hoopers only ever Premier League game.

[quote user="Just Dan"]Great goal by Leicester last night - very similar to the one Jerome scored on the first game of the season. That remains Simon Hoopers only ever Premier League game.[/quote]
Even before the Palace game former ref Mark Halsey questioned the decision to give Hooper the game:
[quote] The first weekend of the season is not the time to be trailing a Football League referee. By next week he’ll be back in the Football League, this is just a one off game to see how he does.[/quote]
Fair play to Halsey for calling it.

[quote user="Peanuts"][quote user="Just Dan"]Great goal by Leicester last night - very similar to the one Jerome scored on the first game of the season. That remains Simon Hoopers only ever Premier League game.[/quote]
Even before the Palace game former ref Mark Halsey questioned the decision to give Hooper the game:
[quote] The first weekend of the season is not the time to be trailing a Football League referee. By next week he’ll be back in the Football League, this is just a one off game to see how he does.[/quote]
Fair play to Halsey for calling it.
[/quote]I said as much at the time, but that appointment was an absolute disgrace and grossly disrespectful to both clubs. In my experience, new and fringe officials are usually given games in April or May when you can guarantee that the outcome of the match will not cost any club anything significant. I cannot think of any other situation where an official who has not previously been given a top-flight appearance has been thrust in at the deep end on the first game of the season. Unfortunately for the PGMOL, their ''experiment'' backfired spectacularly and cost us at least a point as a result of a palpably ludicrous decision (disallowing Jerome''s goal) and numerous other poor ones.