Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Lee Mason

Embarrassingly bad this evening, along with the other two stooges completing the set. His inability to see a blatant back pass was breathtaking - nearly as bad as a lino who misses a player who is two yards offside and ''scores''.

Lee Mason needs to grow a pair I didn''t know what was the most appalling Fabregas falling over at every opportunity or Mason for falling for it every time. It was amazing to see that Chelsea could take free kicks from nowhere near where the offence took place yet , again, Fabregas was allowed to move ours to where he felt they should have been taken from. There was plenty of time wasting - not stopped by Mason. Perhaps he didn''t like to tell his boys off after their cosy chat just before second half kick off. He didn''t seem to be totally impartial to me, and how Costa didn''t get a card for a dreadful sliding tackle, that admittedly didn''t connect - Mason saw it but didn''t go back to give him the card. Perhaps he thought it would spoil his night after the ''offside'' goal. There should have been at least 8 minutes of stoppage time at the end of the second half.

Lee Mason 2 Dreadful. Why can''t the fans see how the Premier League assess these muppets, as they are being short changed every game with performances like that.

There wasn''t anything wrong with the back pass, it hit Jerome''s foot on the way through. Courtois was aware of this and so picked it up.

The second goal is a different matter, a terrible decision by the lino.

The fact you''re more interested in Lee Mason over the performance and the result says it all.

So what did you think about the performance?

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]There wasn''t anything wrong with the back pass, it hit Jerome''s foot on the way through. Courtois was aware of this and so picked it up.

The second goal is a different matter, a terrible decision by the lino.[/quote]But how id the ref know it glanced Jerome''s foot. From where he was, even if he was looking, he could not have seen that as it was only a very slight touch.The crux of the matter is that he didn''t know & he guessed.

Why should people not be interested in the ref''s performance - all too often this season the result has hinged on decisions that have not gone our way, or been plainly wrong - sadly today is just another in a very long line.

In all honesty even as a reasonable person it is hard not to feel aggrieved, the only plus for me is that I have that Costa in my fantasy team even though I hate the cheating tosser!

What did I make of the performance?

Not good enough first half. Second half we were made to look better by a Chelsea side who were clearly operating in training mode.

The real question is ''do you honestly hold Lee Mason accountable for the loss''?

The real question is ''do you honestly hold Lee Mason accountable for the loss''?

Not directly, but it is a contributory factor.

Chelsea may have been ''in training mode'' (your words) but they only scored two and one of those was clearly offside. So my question for you is, ''Should the game have finished 1-1?''

He stopped off in sainsburys petrol station and bought cheap cigs after the game.... they get orange ''fifa referee'' rain wear apparently...

At least we were spared the sight of him grinning and winking at Chelsea players as he disallowed our perfectly legitimate equaliser in the dying seconds.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]What did I make of the performance?

Not good enough first half. Second half we were made to look better by a Chelsea side who were clearly operating in training mode.

The real question is ''do you honestly hold Lee Mason accountable for the loss''?[/quote]e

Yes I do hold him accountable. Well him & his linesman. We scored one legitimate goal so did they.

Mason was awful.

As others gave said, not entirely accountable for the loss, but him and his team were a contributory factor. I''m not convinced he could tell the back pass deflected off Jerome and the 2nd Chelsea goal was blatantly offside. It''s a team being given ''the benefit of the doubt'' in a way we never would.

After the 3 way clash of heads you had a bloodied Brady (lost 2 teeth) and O''Neil (2 inch gash on his head) but whilst hey were ignored an unscathed Willian lay on the ground with Mason gesturing wildly at the Chelsea bench for them to see to him.

This season I''ve found the ''top level'' refereeing infuriating. Championship officiating can be dreadful, but not in the same systematically biased manner where the more established teams regularly seem to be given questionable decisions in their favour and often receive benefit of the doubt. Can you really see us being given the same soft fouls and questionable decisions our opponents have received over the season?

The 3 way clash of heads was ridiculous. Never seen a ref get so animated about getting physios on to attend to a player barely touched and ignore a player with half his mouth missing and another who was unidentifiable due the amount of blood pouring out of his head.

I said during the game I hate watching modern day football, all the diving and referees falling for it (and yes particularly in favour of the ''big'' teams) is infuriating and really makes me question why I bother going anymore.

Generally poor game from Mason but you have to say his Linesman was more culpable than he was. One of the more obvious offsides you''ll ever see in the Premier League.
Those kind of decisions must be gut-wrenching for our defenders when they actually keep a good line!

[quote user="hogesar"]Generally poor game from Mason but you have to say his Linesman was more culpable than he was. One of the more obvious offsides you''ll ever see in the Premier League.
Those kind of decisions must be gut-wrenching for our defenders when they actually keep a good line!
[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/12814032_1679870005602866_8567816329221814997_n_zpszn7o0mbv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/12814032_1679870005602866_8567816329221814997_n_zpszn7o0mbv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

KO, I totally agree with you. My love for football is waining a smidge. I have supported City for over 40 years, and can recall all sorts of bits and pieces from my ''early'' days, but over recent times, I use it almost, as a social tool. I go with a good mate and his kids, (we are off to Swansea) and I really enjoy that, but there is bits of football I find obscene and obnoxious, and it may be an age thing, but I am currently evaluating my life!

It''s a nice day out and meeting up with my mate who I sit with (who I don''t really see otherwise) makes it worthwhile but last night and all too often recently, we''ve ended up just laughing about the decisions being given. City aren''t blameless either. I cannot stand the ridiculously easy way players go down and worse still, the fact that the refs give the free kick virtually every time.

Incompetent or corrupt?

Kevin Fiend

Simon Hooper

Michael Oliver

Eddie Ilderton

Lee Mason

The list gets longer.

With all the money swashing about I would be surprised if corruption wasn''t endemic in the Premier League.

Yesterday was all about keeping the ''Chelsea recovery'' narrative going. They weren''t getting those decisions under Morinho, did they temporarily stop paying them off or something?

I would call them (officials) incompetent.

I do wonder, when , for instance, the Lino wakes up this morning, and sees the replays of the Costa goal, how his day will pan out? Will he sit there all morose, thinking ''What was I doing, what a ricket that was'', and does it cross his mind as to how costly, in all sorts of ways, that decision was? Or does he sit there, not giving a monkeys?

The powers that be, assess and advise these guys probably need to employ psychologists to deal with the PMTS (Post match traumatic stress)

I do think we seem to be blaming the referees for the results at the moment but the real cause is our inability to defend and convert our chances. The referee is a convenient excuse which by the way our great Manager didn''t blame for making a mistake on the 2nd goal

Mason himself didn''t get much wrong at all. Backpass (non)decision was obviously correct – Courtois was under no pressure anyway and he knew it had clearly touched Jerome. It was a significant deflection, I could see it clearly from the back of the Jarrold. Wasn''t watching Mason, but usually refs will make a signal to the keeper to indicate whether or not he can pick up the ball before he does so. Offside goal was obviously the assistant''s error – and an atrocious one at that – and referees will never overrule an assistant''s judgement on an offside call unless there is doubt over who actually touched the ball last.All the cautions were correct, including an excellent one where he tried to play an advantage to Norwich and then pulled it back and cautioned the player when the advantage didn''t accrue.As a qualified referee myself, I have been extremely critical of several refereeing performances this season, but Mason wasn''t too bad. Agree with the people incensed by the way he dealt with the clash of heads, though – that behaviour seems a microcosm of the favouritism the big clubs tend to receive from officials. It didn''t affect the result in any way, shape or form, though. My main criticism was him not being tough enough on timewasting – whip out a yellow as soon as it starts, and you''ll nip it in the bud. Not sure if referees are told to be lenient on timewasting and feigning injury, but it seems to be endemic in the Premier League and no refs are particularly tough on it.In summary, the assistant made an appalling error for which he should be disciplined, and Mason was actually decent.

He had a poor game, we deserved a draw and should have enjoyed a point.

The offside was as poor as we will see all season, if Mason saw the back pass he would have explained why he didn''t give it to the players, the touch on Jerome must have been the faintest of touches as the direction of the ball never altered in the slightest...... that bloody assistant, nearly got my half time Bovril thrown at him, never have I been so angered by a decision at a football match, that one hurt on so many levels.

FTW, these are people that are trained to deal with and make, decisions. It is not acceptable , that we ''make do'', not when so much is riding on their decisions. Now, whether they need extra help to get these decisions correct , is for another time, but at the moment, we have to run with what we have. Everyone makes mistakes, so with so much at stake, things need to change.

Is it the fault of the powers that be, who make our Refs, almost robotic like, with the current laws?

After the ''pass back incident, Mason, on at least 4 occasions, held his hand to his earpiece, and looked back up the field. Now , if there was no issue, why did he need to do that?

Also Mason''s inability, and weak refereeing, on Chelsea stoppages, was ridiculous, but you alluded to that in your favouritism comment.

I have been a Rugby referee, and also a Rugby referee''s assessor, so I have some insight into the whys and wherefores of officialdom, and this needs addressing.

Refs etc alone, are not responsible for our results, but they certainly are contributory, and at the end of this season, let''s see how close the bottom of the table is, and see what could have been.

Taking out the (wrong) key (Ref/linesmen) moments from last night, would you say that we deserved a point from the game?

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]FTW, these are people that are trained to deal with and make, decisions. It is not acceptable , that we ''make do'', not when so much is riding on their decisions. Now, whether they need extra help to get these decisions correct , is for another time, but at the moment, we have to run with what we have. Everyone makes mistakes, so with so much at stake, things need to change.

Is it the fault of the powers that be, who make our Refs, almost robotic like, with the current laws?

After the ''pass back incident, Mason, on at least 4 occasions, held his hand to his earpiece, and looked back up the field. Now , if there was no issue, why did he need to do that?

Also Mason''s inability, and weak refereeing, on Chelsea stoppages, was ridiculous, but you alluded to that in your favouritism comment.

I have been a Rugby referee, and also a Rugby referee''s assessor, so I have some insight into the whys and wherefores of officialdom, and this needs addressing.

Refs etc alone, are not responsible for our results, but they certainly are contributory, and at the end of this season, let''s see how close the bottom of the table is, and see what could have been.

Taking out the (wrong) key (Ref/linesmen) moments from last night, would you say that we deserved a point from the game?[/quote]I would say yes, we most definitely deserved a point from the game.

Its simply rubish that Mason knew about the deflection off Jerome for the back pass. He had no idea and neither did any of the officials.

Assuming they are actual working earpieces, why didn''t Mason simply tell Michael Oliver (4th official) the reason why he hadnt awarded us a free kick? The reason I say this is because at least 3 of the city bench went and spoke to Oliver about the incident and all he could do in response was shrug clearly say he didn''t know.

Putting that aside however, how anyone can think he still had a good game is crazy. Too many good tackles (from both teams) were punished, far too much diving resulting in free kicks and, as said before, the clash of heads summed up his bias towards them.

if you look at the picture Morty has added ( the one with the red line) if you look along the line the Linesman ( sorry Refs assistant) looks to be not in line with play and is in front of play. from his position I can believe that Costa looked level with Pinto.

Not an excuse but maybe an explanation as I''m sure no official deliberately makes errors.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]if you look at the picture Morty has added ( the one with the red line) if you look along the line the Linesman ( sorry Refs assistant) looks to be not in line with play and is in front of play. from his position I can believe that Costa looked level with Pinto.

Not an excuse but maybe an explanation as I''m sure no official deliberately makes errors.[/quote]Well keeping up with play and being in line is advice I would give him. Helps with accurate offside decisions[Y]