Sign in to follow this  
pat51

Away record

AN''s first 14 away matches up to Sunderland

11 wins 3 draws 0 defeats

14 matches since Sunderland 15 August

1 win 2 draws 11 defeats

Wonder if there has ever been a more decisive turn around in performance .. yes , in a higher league, but even so, amazing to have gone from an all time high to such a poor showing.

Well, based on AN''s away record in a lower division except for the bits from a higher division that will show him in the worst light possible, I say he''s clearly lost the plot and needs to RESIGN NOW.

Well yeah if you think last season we were around 3rd/4th position for the majority of the time, and now we are around 17th. Yes it''s a different league but it''s just disgraceful. 😳

Obviously the league we''re in is the main contributory factor, but it''s still quite interesting. In the Champ it was almost like the pressure and expectation of playing at home was a burden to us, and away from home we were happy to play the role of underdog, take the game to teams in their own back yard and turn their own expectations against them.On the flipside, we found it very difficult to break down teams who came and ''parked the bus'' at Carrow Road. Fewer teams do that in the Prem as a trip to Carrow Road is seen as a winnable match, possibly explaining our better home form. Why our away results have been quite so awful is perplexing - yes we''re in the Prem, but we seem to have lost our confidence/ability to go away to teams and take the game to them. Is that tactical conservatism, or just an inevitably by-product of playing quality teams every week?

I think the 6-2 away defeat at Newcastle has had a massive impact on Alex Neil, ever since that damaging defeat he has definitely changed his mindset on how he approaches away matches now. Much more conservative now with a mindset of trying to contain and then break on the counter.

I think this has been the biggest factor in our recent poor away record.

We can only presume now what the results might have been if Alex Neil had continued with same away attacking intent that he at the start of his reign with us.

Though I don''t deny it had an impact, I''m always confused by the response to the Newcastle game,  We lost 6-2 but hit the woodwork three times and at least two of Newcastle''s goals were just down to rank bad play by Norwich defenders.
After the Sunderland game we had the following:
Southampton - a poor performance but Whittaker''s inane red card after 30 minutes didn''t help;
Liverpool - a point well earned
West Ham - should have been 3 points but a goal in injury time after a daft Tettey foul;
Newcastle - see above
Man City - lost and whilst they were always better, we could have got a point but conceded in the 89th minute;
Chelsea - second best but only 1-0;
Watford - 2-0, a no-show;
Man Utd - good 3 points;
Spurs - poor performance;
Stoke - competitive for an hour, despite O''Neill''s red card after 30 mins
Bournemouth - a poor performance;
Villa - a very poor performance;
Leicester - a late goal in 89th minute
Swansea - another poor performance, though only 0-1
It''s only Watford, Spurs, Bournemouth, Villa & Swansea that have really let us down in that sequence.
Good game management would have yielded another 2 points at West Ham, a point at Man City and maybe a point at Leicester and who knows what might have happened at Southampton & Stoke without the red cards after 30 minutes in each game.

The OP is a load of nonsense.. but in answer to the (stupid question)...

Yes, there have been loads of decisive "turn around in performance".. try Chelsea in the first half of this season vs last season?

Or - along the lines of the OP question - try the mother-of-all-"decisive turn around in performance following promotion to the premier league": i give you Derby Country 2007...

They got 84 points in the chump season, followed by.. 11 points in the prem..

''The OP is a load of nonsense.. but in answer to the (stupid question)...''

The OP merely stated a fact....but thank you for responding to my ''stupid question'' with some examples

A question would be written

''Has there ever been a more decisive turn around ?''

It would have a question mark. Mine did not.

Stupid probably......... Question no.

My point was that the away performances have gone from brilliant to mainly awful and the poster who picked out the Newcastle match as the key moment is probably right.

Hopefully WBA will be another turning point