Sign in to follow this  
Uckfield Canary

1973 and all that!

Just to be positive, in 1972/73 we went 19 games without a win before we sneaked past Chelsea, busted a gut at WBA and then Dave Stringer sent us mad against Palace (were they still called the Glaziers then?)

You might remember Frank McGhee writing in The Mirror after a particularly poor 0-0 draw at home to Ipswich in November that "Norwich wouldn''t win another game all season". Well. I''ve refused to buy The Mirror ever since, and indeed at the League Cup semi final against Chelsea the chant from the Barclay was "In the River" I wonder if he ever came to Carrow Road again?

Anyway, the point is that there are still eight games to go and we have only not won for eleven matches, so let''s cheer up and wear our plastic bags with pride when we are in Lidl.

Remember that last minute headed goal by stringer, crowd went mad ,like we had won the league.also Frank McGhee

And the chants. Happy days of packed terraces all singing and swaying up and down the steps! .

Yellowhammer, that game certainly has lived long in my memory - oh for five matches just like that in the run in!

I remember the outcry when we swapped Jimmy Bone for Trevor Hockey.
Oh for a Trevor Hockey now, albeit a Trevor Hockey who wouldn''t be red-carded after ninety seconds of every match he played in.

That was the year I attended Avenue Road Middle School and learned about NCFC. My grandpa took me to the Coventry game which I believe ended in a 1 - 1 tie. As the school year progressed it seemed more and more of my classmates lost faith and turned to other teams to hitch their wagons. A bunch of us stayed loyal, though.