Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Neil Lennon

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I have absolutely not a scooby how Lennon would have got on here but he most certainly would have had far more money to throw at the problem than he ever got at Bolton. Asking me for an opinion on how things might have turned out is a tad rich coming from you who makes a full time hobby of pointing out posters who got it wrong. It''s such a shame you never put yourself on the line and say how you see the future. Berating your fellow fans plainly gives you some sort of self satisfaction. You had a big opportunity on the thread that Swindon dragged up which ran to 7 pages about candidates for the Norwich job when Adams departed but hey ho not one single suggestion from you nor for that manner was there a put down for Lennon. Now with the benefit of hindsight you are all over it with regard to his failure at Bolton.No question that you continually call out posters it''s just a shame you cannot see it. [/quote]

No I don''t see it. Because I didn''t bump the thread or start this one. Coppers in glass house shouldn''t wave their nightsticks about because I did see you bump a post on here to call another out....

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh and i am still waiting for you to substantiate your ridiculous claim about Ranieri and Martinez. If you said it several times over the years surely you could drag the relevant threads up ?[/quote]

You''re the master at bumping threads to score points so you find it buddy...

Oh i see bumping a thread qualifies me as a master ? This is not about thread bumping it is about you making a hobby out of calling out posters who get it wrong when stating an opinion. Your opinions on things taking place or about to take place never make this forum just hindsight opinion about the past. Nice twist and swerve as usual but never ever an answer.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh and i am still waiting for you to substantiate your ridiculous claim about Ranieri and Martinez. If you said it several times over the years surely you could drag the relevant threads up ?[/quote]

You''re the master at bumping threads to score points so you find it buddy...

[/quote]I will find it because i believe you never said it. If i am wrong you will delight in rubbing it in my face so give it your best shot.

But you are the one who did it. Not me. Neither did I start this thread. Or bump the other one. Whatever your issue is it''s not on this thread. Perhaps off it?

Wouldn''t it be ironic if....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But you are the one who did it. Not me. Neither did I start this thread. Or bump the other one. Whatever your issue is it''s not on this thread. Perhaps off it?

[/quote]

What on earth are you on about. Let me try a generalisation for you to keep it simple rather than this smoke and mirrors guff are are posting. Thread bumping is not the issue here and this is the second time i have said that. I did not start this Lennon thread and i did not bump it. You did not start it nor did you bump it. Why you keep babberling on about that aspect i have absolutely no idea. The issue is how you keep calling out posters who claimed that Lennon might have been a decent shot at manager here. You have done it on here and you have done it on other threads. Yet you never ever once at the time stated any sort of opinion on who you thought could or should get the Norwich managers job. Hindsight and more hindsight is the order of the day running as a common theme throughout all your posts on the subject followed by twisting and swerving when asked straight forward questions.

I wanted him instead of Adams but I think most of us at the time would have preferred Hughton back than someone with no previous experience. We needed to bounce back straight away and Adams just seemed such a strange choice to achieve that. Lennon was available at the time and we all wanted someone who seemed like they had an aggressive, winning attitude after a couple of years of the extremely passive and nice Hughton to shake the squad up a bit.

We were wrong as he''s been pretty poor in England and would have most likely done as averagely or worse than Adams had he taken over in the summer. I remember seeing very few posts or comments from anyone suggesting Lennon when Adams was sacked. I''m glad we ended up with Neil, I think most are. It is interesting following Lennon''s career though as I do think he was in with a shout of this job last summer and had he done a little better than Adams could still have been our manager now

The only one of us who has bumped a post to call someone out is you. This is mental. You''re obviously talking about something else. Would you like to say what?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The only one of us who has bumped a post to call someone out is you. This is mental. You''re obviously talking about something else. Would you like to say what?[/quote]This all about you calling people out over Lennon. Blimey is this about my one post over Smudger being Smudger or your continuous crusade to call anyone out who hung their hat on Lennon ? I found that post of his whilst looking back to try in vain to see if you had given any indication on your thoughts at that time but i really should have known i was wasting my time. Highland Canary springs to mind as someone you continously ridicule and i would like a quid for every time you have thrown Lennon in his face over the last 6 months at least. Those two posters and there are plenty of others in fairness who voiced an opinion something you never ever do on any subject or thread without first having the benefit of hindsight. Goodnight as now off to bed to watch the Sky News press preview at 12.30am. No doubt in the morning i will find that you will have attempted to justify your stance. You know have you ever considered that just on the odd occasion you make the wrong call on Norwich City ?

So Smudger is fair game but Highland isn''t. I''ll stake my life that you constantly ridicule Smudger more than I do Highland. There can''t be any windows left in your glass house...

Additionally the piswich thing gets boring.

Context.

We just appointed sheriff of Norwich, Bryan Gunn. They appoint Roy Keane.

At the time is was a coup for them, no denying that.

It didn''t work out. Neither dig gunn that you were advocating.

But because I (for the only time in my life) said fair play to the binners, it pops up whenever you feel the need to belittle.

The benefit of hindsight eh Tilly.

The nutty professor of hindsight 😂

Equally NN, just because he failed at Bolton (under their set of circumstances) doesn''t automatically discount him from potentially being successful with us (under our set of circumstances) and that was the point I was making. Additionally I was also making the point that using the "well he failed at Bolton and no-one else wanted him" stick to beat those who (in good faith) suggested he may be a good match for our club as a kind of "I told you so" is a little rich/two-faced.

For the record I''m glad we got Alex Neil and fully support him.

Apples 

And Martinez may have won the FA Cup...but got relegated straight after...and he legged it from Swansea to Wigan...and then he legged it from Wigan to Everton (despite wanting to build a legacy at Wigan - that worked well) but then we''re not using hindsight or holding their past history against people are we (and the grass certainly wouldn''t be greener either would it)?

Apples

It all seems a bit pointless arguing over whether Lennon would have been a better appointment for us than Adams given that most managers have both successful and unsuccessful spells in their careers.
He was certainly successful at Celtic, and despite the problems off the field at Bolton it''s fair to say he wasn''t a great success there. Whether he''d have been a success here or not, nobody can say.
Personally I wanted Mackay, but I''m glad that Adams followed by Neil did the job and got us back up at the first attempt.

There will be some obtuse off point reply you know chaps. In hindsight i now think we should not have signed Andreu or Wisdom nor given a job for the boys in Adams. There i have given an opinion and i am sticking to it so sod this Lennon nonsense. Don''t get me started on Ed Balls or Tom Smith either. [;)]

I still maintain that there is nothing to suggest that Lennon would have done what Alex Neil did here. Or even what Neil Adams did. There seems to be a constant need to devalue what our managers did at our club to make a case for Lennon. But beyond even that he''s a manager I''d not like to see at this club.

The Ipswich thing doesn''t have to be them. It can be any of the clubs "why can''t we be like" from the last ten years. The whole point of that is to give credit to what we have achieved. With a lot of these owners, like with Lennon, we appear to have dodged a bullet. Far from holding us back our owners appear to have been more successful than these owners they were supposed to have been holding us back from. There are some richer owners who are as good as ours. The best is the guy at Citeh but I doubt he''d have ever come here. The one who I admire most is the guy at Stoke. They have to established themselves at a level above us. The jury is still out on Leicester, Watford and Palace. Will it still be them? Or three other clubs in a few years time. Thats what I call the shifting sands.

I can''t wait. Now if only I were IT literate I''d get a picture of some tumbleweed...slowly making it''s way down a lonely deserted highway...just like NN, ploughing a lonely furrow of sanity in a world full of madness...

Apples

Well you may as well get started on them Tilly you old dog. You may even go beyond snapping at my heels and actually give an opinion about something today. For somebody so against hindsight to trawl these archives for posts by me and then not resist an opportunity to wave a bit of hindsight at Smudger is awesome. But I do agree, like Highland he''s fair game. More faces than Wurzel Gummidge...

;)

It has been a lonely furrow at times buddy! But a consistent one. And this thread with Tilly and Danny has been just like old times. If we lose at West Brom it could escalate but if we win it''ll all be forgotten. I don''t contemplate losing even for nostalgia''s sake...

And now for the today''s ridiculous comparison.....

Just because Evans failed so miserably at Ipswich there''s nothing to suggest he wouldn''t have done what smith and Jones did here...

[quote user="Peanuts"]It all seems a bit pointless arguing over whether Lennon would have been a better appointment for us than Adams given that most managers have both successful and unsuccessful spells in their careers.
He was certainly successful at Celtic, and despite the problems off the field at Bolton it''s fair to say he wasn''t a great success there. Whether he''d have been a success here or not, nobody can say.
Personally I wanted Mackay, but I''m glad that Adams followed by Neil did the job and got us back up at the first attempt.
[/quote]Probably true but it is not quite the point. What some posters here, such as Highland, were saying when that season finished was that Lennon was the stand-out candidate of all the possibles, including Mackay (who was also my choice) and Adams and everyone else.Now, because Lennon has been sacked for failing* at Bolton, that discredited "stand-out" claim has quietly morphed into "Well, he would have done better than Adams". Which is, as you indicate, questionable in itself but even if true is nothing like claims being made last summer.*Did Lennon fail? I have trawled through the views of Bolton fans on a forum, in the local paper and in The Guardian, and there is a consensus that although Lennon was faced with a very difficult job, because of the financial problems, he really should have coped much better. That a talented maanager would have given Bolton a chance of staying up. And the bottom line is he was sacked. If he had done as well as he should have done under the cuircumstances surely Bolton would have kept him on?

[quote user="Peanuts"]It all seems a bit pointless arguing over whether Lennon would have been a better appointment for us than Adams given that most managers have both successful and unsuccessful spells in their careers.
[/quote]Probably true but it is not quite the point. What some posters here, such as Highland, were saying when that season finished was that Lennon was the stand-out candidate of all the possibles, including Mackay (who was also my choice) and Adams and everyone else.Now, because Lennon has been sacked for failing* at Bolton, that discredited "stand-out" claim has quietly morphed into "Well, he would have done better than Adams". Which is, as you indicate, questionable in itself but even if true is nothing like claims being made last summer.*Did Lennon fail? I have trawled through the views of Bolton fans on a forum, in the local paper and in The Guardian, and there is a consensus that although Lennon was faced with a very difficult job, because of the financial problems, he really should have coped much better. That a talented maanager would have given Bolton a chance of staying up. And the bottom line is he was sacked. If he had done as well as he should have done under the circumstances surely Bolton would have kept him on?

Very few managers are a success at at every job they take.

Look at Mike Walker and Paul Lambert for evidence of that.

Quite often its a whole set of circumstances that make for a successful team and the manager is only one (albeit a big part) of that.

[quote user="whoareyou"]Very few managers are a success at at every job they take.

Look at Mike Walker and Paul Lambert for evidence of that.

Quite often its a whole set of circumstances that make for a successful team and the manager is only one (albeit a big part) of that.[/quote]
But then I don''t agree Lambert done that badly at a Villa, if you look at them now.