Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Neil Lennon

Not sure Eddie you''ll have to ask them.

Maybe other jobs weren''t avail? Maybe he was promised more? He was fav for Leicester last summer at one point, I don''t know. Possibly because of the "perceived baggage" that would come with someone that has regularly received death threats.

Silly to dismiss his record at Celtic. Thankfully we didn''t dismiss AN''s record at a much lower, Hamilton.

As to what club I want us to be. An established premier league club chalenging the likes of Watford, Stoke and Southampton.

Clubs that have always been in the same bracket if not lower.

This seems a bit of a circular argument? In any case I can guarantee you that if we had taken Lennon and we were in our current position with him the same people supporting AN right now would be right behind Lennon...There appears to be a certain level of disingenousness being spouted here.

Apples

Danny. I''m talking about a lot of clubs here. Premier clubs and those in the champs with parachute payments. I can''t believe they all dismissed Lennon''s record at Celtic. I don''t think I ever have either...

As for the clubs we want us to be, the bigger picture I''m referring to can be seen by the shifting sands of opinions. Yes it''s Watford, Stoke and Southampton now. But in previous season''s it''s been too many clubs for me to list. That''s what I call the shifting sands. People get confused and say I''m against investment. I''m not. Only a fool would not want more money for their club. But I do look at the bigger picture and it aint pretty buddy.

Maybe when I have time I''ll do a post about it so that we can discuss it properly.

I''m curious to know how Henrik Larsson did that considering he left Celtic 5-6 years before Lennon became manager???

Apples

Apples wrote;

This seems a bit of a circular argument? In any case I can guarantee you that if we had taken Lennon and we were in our current position with him the same people supporting AN right now would be right behind Lennon...There appears to be a certain level of disingenuousness being spouted here.

Not by me Apples, I can assure you he is the one man I would hate to see at our club (hate is a very strong emotion) i always get behind everyone involved with our club, players, managers board etc, but could make an exception for this man.

Maybe i have taken more interest in what has happened in his career at Celtic, and my belief he has contributed to his own situation more than maybe some give him credit for, and i don''t condone death threats, bullets in the post or being attacked by fans, cant recall any other manager in the UK experiencing the same ?.

Thats fair enough LC, I''m no great fan of Lennon but there was some utter tripe being spouted (nothing new for this messageboard I know).

And big congrats to GPB...a true visionary!

Apples

What jobs were available at the time nutty? Why didn''t anyone bigger take a shot on Hughton? On Alex neil? Why weren''t bigger fish circling Lambert when Rogers got Liverpool? Why hasn''t curbishley ever got work again? Why hasn''t Nigel Adkins ever had another shot at the prem after being "harshly" let go by Southampton?

I guess we will never know.

Swansea are the ones j used to hold in high esteem.

Didn''t you hold Wigan in the same light, what with your admiration for Martinez?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Danny. I''m talking about a lot of clubs here. Premier clubs and those in the champs with parachute payments. I can''t believe they all dismissed Lennon''s record at Celtic. I don''t think I ever have either...

As for the clubs we want us to be, the bigger picture I''m referring to can be seen by the shifting sands of opinions. Yes it''s Watford, Stoke and Southampton now. But in previous season''s it''s been too many clubs for me to list. That''s what I call the shifting sands. People get confused and say I''m against investment. I''m not. Only a fool would not want more money for their club. But I do look at the bigger picture and it aint pretty buddy.

Maybe when I have time I''ll do a post about it so that we can discuss it properly.

[/quote]Perhaps I can help, nutty. A quick check (trusting to wiki) shows that in the Championship at least 10 clubs had managerial vacancies that summer and early autumn before Bolton picked Lennon - Blackpool, Brighton, Charlton, Leeds (twice or was it three times?), Huddersfield, Watford (at least twice...), Cardiff, Fulham, Nottingham Forest, and Norwich City. And at least WBA in the Premier League.There are some very decent-sized clubs in there. It is hard to imagine Lennon turning the likes of Leeds or Forest or Fulham down if they had wanted him. So we were hardly alone in not being that impressed by his acheivements. And bear in mind we have a CEO who knows his Scottish football.

Aren''t you also forgetting all those European managerial vacancies as well...they ignored him too?

Apples

Thanks purple. Prob one of the strongest sides on paper at that point, the prem would''ve only been a short time ago.

McNally. Lennon. No chance. Not after his good mate Lambert walked away from him.

I can''t imagine Lennon being a yes man either.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Thats fair enough LC, I''m no great fan of Lennon but there was some utter tripe being spouted (nothing new for this messageboard I know).

And big congrats to GPB...a true visionary!

Apples

[/quote]

This.

This whole thread was prob started so it could ridicule those that wanted him.

Oh hindsight.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Two managers I''ve stated quite clearly and often over the years that I would like to see here are Ranieri and Martinez. [/quote]Well now that is interesting as how we were to achieve poaching Ranieri from clubs such as Juventus,Inter Milan,Roma and Monaco to name but a handful of the clubs he has managed over the last decade is beyond me and as for Martinez are you seriously telling me we could have poached him from the then Premiership club Wigan back in 2009 or from Everton ? I did not go back as far as the early two thousands as that would have taken in the Worthington era and surely there was no way you wanted him shoved out of the door ?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Game. Set. Match. Tilly.

Prepare for deflection.....[/quote]St Andrews Hall is the usual escape route to deflection. [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I can''t believe that people are still hankering after Lennon despite what Alex Neil has achieved. Without checking I would guess that the majority of clubs around us in the Prem and the majority of clubs with aspirations of promotion to the Prem have changed manager since Lennon left Celtic. How "little old Norwich" is it to be hankering after a manager that only no hoper clubs want?[/quote]Who has stated that ? Would you point out the posts where posters are still expressing a desire or interest in having Lennon as our manager because my understanding of ''hankering'' is exactly that ?

Looks like old Smudger had a hankering for him [:P]............................

Wouldn''t it be ironic if...

Bolton Wanderers finished above us?!

When Lennon took over after 11 games they were rock bottom of the Championship table and guess where we were? Yep, we were top.

Just 8 places and 10 points separate us now and I would not bet a penny on us still being above them come the end of the season.

Lennon was the manager we should have had, and to think he walked

away from Celtic Park on the morning of the day we appointed Neil Adams!

To further rub salt into the wound we eventually end up with the

poor man''s Neil Lennon in the shape of Alex Neil (not his fault of

course). And instead of a pre-season and 2 transfer windows he gets a

maximum of 4 games to assess the squad before the revolving door slams

shut for good next Monday.

It would be ironic if Lennon and Bolton finished above us, but it

wouldn''t be at all surprising and it would be just what our spineless

Board of Directors deserve.

Well of course St Andrews Hall can''t be left out of my answer Tilly. Because although I rate and respect those two managers highly and would like to see them here I don''t expect them to come here. I''m not the type of fan to squeam and stamp my feet all the way to the Andrews if the club don''t do what I like....

As for Lennon. What are people saying if they aren''t hankering after him? I don''t see a rush of posters claiming we dodged a bullet when we didn''t appoint him. In fact what I see is posters claiming he''d probably as done as well as Alex Neil did. It looks to me a case of no real credit to Neil for what he achieved. Strangely this wasn''t being said at Wembley last May. But finding it tough in the PL appears to have greener over other managers lawns.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well actually there were people who wanted him instead of Neil. There were still people saying we should have had him and build a team around Hooper.

As for Neil Adams, is there really anything to suggest that Lennon could have done better than him? If there is please share it.[/quote]

No idea who started it.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well of course St Andrews Hall can''t be left out of my answer Tilly. Because although I rate and respect those two managers highly and would like to see them here I don''t expect them to come here. I''m not the type of fan to squeam and stamp my feet all the way to the Andrews if the club don''t do what I like....

As for Lennon. What are people saying if they aren''t hankering after him? I don''t see a rush of posters claiming we dodged a bullet when we didn''t appoint him. In fact what I see is posters claiming he''d probably as done as well as Alex Neil did. It looks to me a case of no real credit to Neil for what he achieved. Strangely this wasn''t being said at Wembley last May. But finding it tough in the PL appears to have greener over other managers lawns.[/quote]i should know better than to get a straight answer or should i say no answer.1) You clearly stated you had identified Ranieri and/or Martinez as managers you fancied at Norwich which you now claim was a bit pie in the sky as opposed to you stating you said it several times over the years. Maybe a few posts could clarify that for us ?2) No evidence provided of people '' hankering '' on this thread for Lennon just a notion you have planted in your head.3) As for St Andrews Hall the Worthington meeting was requested by the membership of NCISA during that fateful season. NCISA asked when that meeting should be held at the majority wanted it at the end of the season as opposed to causing unrest during the campaign. Democracy won the day and the rest is history. You see it as squaming and stamping their feet. Yet again a notion you have in your head.Of course i expect another tragic effort for but hey why not try a straightforward a response to those three paragraphs ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Well of course St Andrews Hall can''t be left out of my answer Tilly. Because although I rate and respect those two managers highly and would like to see them here I don''t expect them to come here. I''m not the type of fan to squeam and stamp my feet all the way to the Andrews if the club don''t do what I like....

As for Lennon. What are people saying if they aren''t hankering after him? I don''t see a rush of posters claiming we dodged a bullet when we didn''t appoint him. In fact what I see is posters claiming he''d probably as done as well as Alex Neil did. It looks to me a case of no real credit to Neil for what he achieved. Strangely this wasn''t being said at Wembley last May. But finding it tough in the PL appears to have greener over other managers lawns.[/quote]i should know better than to get a straight answer or should i say no answer.1) You clearly stated you had identified Ranieri and/or Martinez as managers you fancied at Norwich which you now claim was a bit pie in the sky as opposed to you stating you said it several times over the years. Maybe a few posts could clarify that for us ?2) No evidence provided of people '' hankering '' on this thread for Lennon just a notion you have planted in your head.3) As for St Andrews Hall the Worthington meeting was requested by the membership of NCISA during that fateful season. NCISA asked when that meeting should be held at the majority wanted it at the end of the season as opposed to causing unrest during the campaign. Democracy won the day and the rest is history. You see it as squaming and stamping their feet. Yet again a notion you have in your head.Of course i expect another tragic effort for but hey why not try a straightforward a response to those three paragraphs ?[/quote]I mean ''tragic effort from you but hey why not try a straightforward response''.

Dear oh dear NN...that argument really is the last (rather rambling and incoherent) resort of a desperate man...

Apples

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well actually there were people who wanted him instead of Neil. There were still people saying we should have had him and build a team around Hooper.

As for Neil Adams, is there really anything to suggest that Lennon could have done better than him? If there is please share it.[/quote]

No idea who started it.....[/quote]

No idea but it wasn''t me.

As for Swansea, you have a very short memory. Ipswich were a long time before them "Why can''t we have their ambition". And even Notts County were envied by some, Sven and Sol Cambell and their shiny new owner. But those points are for another discussion.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Dear oh dear NN...that argument really is the last

(rather rambling and incoherent) resort of a desperate man... Apples[/quote]

Not really buddy. You suggested that we''d be happy if Lennon had done

what Neil did. But what ever evidence do you find to suggest he could have? The

evidence I''ve seen suggests he couldn''t.  I don''t believe it''s the walk in the park that others seem to believe it is. I think getting back up first go was a

massive achievement. So many other, even richer, clubs don''t. QPR with their parachute payments and their shiny rich owner are going to have to go some....

But even you beat Tilly who doesn''t seem to have an opinion as to whether

Lennon could have done it here or not. Come on Tilly, let''s be ''avin'' an

opinion...

There seems to be some idea that I am using hindsight to call out people. I''d

just remind you that I didn''t start this thread or bump the old thread. It''s so

tempting to do that sometimes though. Especially with posters who obviously have

short memories. But if I did that over this it would be Highland''s sanctimonious I know it all posts that would be bumped. Build a team round Hooper....

I have absolutely not a scooby how Lennon would have got on here but he most certainly would have had far more money to throw at the problem than he ever got at Bolton. Asking me for an opinion on how things might have turned out is a tad rich coming from you who makes a full time hobby of pointing out posters who got it wrong. It''s such a shame you never put yourself on the line and say how you see the future. Berating your fellow fans plainly gives you some sort of self satisfaction. You had a big opportunity on the thread that Swindon dragged up which ran to 7 pages about candidates for the Norwich job when Adams departed but hey ho not one single suggestion from you nor for that manner was there a put down for Lennon. Now with the benefit of hindsight you are all over it with regard to his failure at Bolton.No question that you continually call out posters it''s just a shame you cannot see it.

Oh and i am still waiting for you to substantiate your ridiculous claim about Ranieri and Martinez. If you said it several times over the years surely you could drag the relevant threads up ?