Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Neil Lennon

It should be remembered of course that it wasn''t just Norwich who didn''t give him a chance with Investment money other managers were given. All those other Championship clubs who were continually striving to beat Norwich back to the PL ignored him too. In fact that gig with his hands tied behind his back at Bolton was the best gig he could get...

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Been managing with his hands tied. Very difficult circumstances, I wouldn''t be surprised if he went to forest.[/quote]Forest are under a transfer embargo and the owner is threatening to sell. Why would he go there?

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Found this from way back, some interesting suggestions, it''s a good job the board didn''t follow some of the choices.  [/quote]Yep seven pages of names being put forward and not once did our resident Nutty Professor of Hindsight break cover and state who he would like to see as Norwich manager.

Two managers I''ve stated quite clearly and often over the years that I would like to see here are Ranieri and Martinez. Unrealistic maybe, but then I''m not cut from the little old Norwich cloth that others seem to be.

Any manager Tilly was at St Andrews Hall over would probably be a good shout though.

Probably the only manager I have ever been dead against coming here is Lennon....

[quote user="nutty nigel"] I''m not cut from the little old Norwich cloth that others seem to be.[/quote]

Easy to win everything in a League where there was only ever 1 or 2 teams in it.A couple of lucky results in the Champions League & every thought he was a genious.Didn''t like him as a player & never wanted him to come here as Manager.Bullet dodged.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]To be fair to Lennon, he has had to do the job with both arms tied behind his back. Bolton''s perilous financial position meant he ha no money for transfers, they hardly had the money to pay wages regularly.

Had he come to Carrow Road and been given the investment money Adams and Neil have had who knows how he would have done?[/quote]There is plainly an element of truth in that, but the point being made by some Bolton fans is that they are hardly the only club in the division in a parlous state, and that if Lennon was a good manager he would have coped better. As in this post, which is not unrepresentative:I wish he''d agreed to a mutual termination of his contract 2 months ago and given us a chance of survival. As I''ve said before, he''s tactically inept, one dimensional and unable to use substitutions properly. Of the 14 permanent signings he''s made, only 3 ever play and the majority aren''t even at the club anymore. His only other job in management was with Celtic in the SPL and, let''s be honest, winning the SPL with Celtic is about as big an achievement as winning League 2 with Barcelona. 4 wins in 42 games is abysmal. Yes we''ve been operating under crippling financial constraints but have a look at the respective squads of the bottom 4 sides and you''ll see that, on paper at least, we''re far from the worst team in the league and yet that''s where we find ourselves and that''s where we deserve to be. Good riddance.

#Awkward

Re: Managerial choice in the Championship

Regardless of who other clubs may or may not have appointed in the past it makes no difference to the ultimate point which is that Adams appointment was a stupid, unecessary risk whichever way you look at it and there is no way he can credibly be regarded as the best candidate available. No way. We could have got Lennon. For me that decision was a no brainer. 
     Report   Reply Quote

Quite Jim. 
     Report   Reply Quote

Spot on Jim. 
     Re
[quote user="Newton"]

Purple someone needs to pop your Delia bubble (r u on the payroll at Carrow Road) ?

I wont list all the rubbish u spout but attempting to compare the shambolic recent managerial appointsments @ Norwich with Notts Forrest is laughable and then to claim that appointing Lennon would only have been slightly less of a higher risk than appointng Adams - beggers belief

[/quote]
Interestingly I also found this, which has been deleted from the Pink Un website but archived by Google for posterity (thanks Google)

Your PinkUn: The state of Norwich City - your poll results

18:14 18 May 2014

As Norwich City slipped out of the Premier League with barely a whimper, we at the Pink Un felt it was time you, the fans, had an opportunity to make your voices heard. [BEFORE WE DELETED THE PAGE BECAUSE PRESUMABLY SOMEBODY DIDN''T WANT IT TO BE SEARCHABLE]

We thank you for your comments and your sentiments. As usual, they are wide-ranging, some tinged with sadness, some with humour. All with genuine feeling.

• Who should be the next Norwich City manager?

Ralf Rangnick 2637 votes 37%

Neil Lennon 1357 20%

Mike Phelan 646 9%

Malky Mackay 614 9%

Tim Sherwood 399 6%

Uwe Rosler 227 3%

David Moyes 204 3%

Roberto Di Matteo 203 3%

Neil Adams 195 3%

Eddie Howe 123 2%

Gianfranco Zola 111 2%

Steve Clarke 107 2%

Neil Warnock 104 1%

Mark Bowen 6 0%

Just shows, never listen to the fans.  They haven''t a f*cking clue.

I can''t quite see what Neil Lennon has done to deserve the level of distain/schadenfruede he''s receiving at the moment? I''ve never had much of a problem with him and he would probably have done a similar job to AN, all things being equal.

Apples

Apples, I don''t think it is being directed at Lennon but rather being used to call out people who thought we should have got him as our manager... Whether thats better or worse is another question though...

Neil Lennon, watch this;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezOsdEJy5a4

Looks like this fan had taken the law into his own hands, what you don''t in the clip get is the history between Lennon and the Hearts fans, he quite often gesticulated, ran to them and celebrated when Celtic scored, bad mouthed them in the press leading up to the match, then this day got, what some say is "fighting fire with fire"............................ before you attack the fan (who was dealt with by authorities, and now has a statue outside Tynecastle) have you ever felt the same about someone at an opposing club ?

I''ve got no problem with Lennon''s behaviour, it''s all part of the game (and a bit rich when fans seek to take any kind of moral high ground on such matters). I still think he would have done a decent job for us and I''m sure there wouldnt have been a problem had he behaved in the same way towards Ipswich (rather than Hearts) fans.

Apples

Apples, you make some good points about possibly doing the same job as Lennon. But we will never know.

All I keep hearing is we can''t compete with a lot of teams in the prem, because of their budgets.

Well when we were/are in the champ our budget is one of the biggest. All of a sudden we become a man city and your rotherhams and boltons prob represent us.

[quote user="cornish sam"]Apples, I don''t think it is being directed at Lennon but rather being used to call out people who thought we should have got him as our manager.[/quote]Looks like another post for the Nutty Professor of Hindsight. [;)]

I can''t believe that people are still hankering after Lennon despite what Alex Neil has achieved. Without checking I would guess that the majority of clubs around us in the Prem and the majority of clubs with aspirations of promotion to the Prem have changed manager since Lennon left Celtic. How "little old Norwich" is it to be hankering after a manager that only no hoper clubs want?

NN, I don''t think anybody is hankering for Lennon its just the point that he could easily have ended up with us (but didn''t) and that we probably wouldn''t have been in too different a situation had he (with the resources made available to AN).

It''s far too easy (and lazy tbh) to dismiss his record at Celtic (after all Ronny Deila is hardly setting the heather alight with similar resources there at the moment).

Apples

Do buddy, do you think it was through dismissing his record at Celtic that he could only get the Bolton job with his hands tied? Or do you think he wasn''t ambitious enough to want better? I guess we don''t know but the reality is that''s what happened. Maybe his record at Bolton, which posters on here have said is the equivalent of winning the championship with Norwich, will encourage a club with better resources to give him a go. It would be interesting to find out but I''m still glad it''s not us taking that chance.

Hankering 😂

You do twist things. Apples has made his point clear, I understood it.

i absolutely hate Celtic but he got being competitive in the champions league. That''s a fair achievement.

It''s not fair to write managers off after 1 "difficult" job. Rogers failed at Watford, Lambert at Wycombe , Howe at burnely and hootun (🙈) with us.

I don''t want him here over AN but im guessing he will get a job elsewhere without too many issues.

I haven''t twisted anything just given my opinion and asked some relevant questions. What others seem to see as hindsight I see as looking at the bigger picture. The same with the shifting sands of what club we want to be next.

Now CUSDP, I''m interested in why you think other clubs didn''t take a chance on Lennon. Is it that they all dismiss his record at Celtic? If so then maybe they have a case. But I''m not sure it is that. What do you think buddy?