Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Neil Lennon

To be fair to NL, he left ''by mutual consent''. I would imagine it''s because they couldn''t afford to sack him.

It may have been worded that way but his record at Bolton would hardly have inspired the new owners to continue with him....."Wanderers are bottom of the Championship and 11 points from safety following Saturday''s 2-1 home defeat to Preston.They have won just four league games all season and Lennon departs having won just 18 times in 80 matches in charge."

Lennon has spoken about having suffered from depression since 2000

That''s all we need on this board

[quote user="lappinitup"].....has been sacked by Bolton. Does anybody still think he''d have succeeded here?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35811267[/quote]A few months ago he came out with a statement that perhaps he wasn''t the right manager to keep Bolton up, which looked at the time very much like a "Please sack me so I don''t have a relegation on my CV" plea. On that ego-driven basis alone he ruled himself out of being taken seriously. But his record (virtually all the wins in his first dozen games last season and then a severe tailing-off) backs up the idea that he is a kind of Stuart Pearce figure - all initial zest and enthusiasm followed by a lack of tactical nous being exposed.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]I can''t imagine anyone ever wanted him here though, did they?😉[/quote]
Ooooh, Jenkins; you scallywag, you!

But as I understand it his success at Bolton is the equivalent of winning the Champs by Christmas at Norwich.

I expect some Highland League clubs will be in for him now...

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Come on own up, who were calling for him to be our manager, when the club went for AN[/quote]That would be nobody Lennon was employed by Bolton then , people wanted him instead of the comical appointment of Neil Adams and had we done so there may have been no cause to ever appoint Alex Neil . Just out of interest how do you think Alex Neil would be doing with that Bolton squad now ?.

Well actually there were people who wanted him instead of Neil. There were still people saying we should have had him and build a team around Hooper.

As for Neil Adams, is there really anything to suggest that Lennon could have done better than him? If there is please share it.

[quote user="OldRobert"]I will own up to wanting him rather than Adams.[/quote]But some posters here wanted Lennon when the position was up for grabs, and it wasn''t a simple case of Lennon or Adams. Their argument was that Lennon was THE obvious choice from all the possible candidates.Myself, at that time, I wanted Mackay, who was (this tends to be forgotten) the board''s first choice, and we only settled on Adams after Mackay turned us down, believing - correctly - he would be offered a Premier League job. But then I, like many others, had never heard of Alex Neil...

Daly wrote;

Lennon has spoken about having suffered from depression since 2000

Whilst depression is a terrible illness for anyone to endure (just visit Poorman Rd once in a while you will see).

It never stopped him slipping away from training early to a local hotel room to meet a bunny boiler.

To be honest, he hasn''t done a lot wrong at Bolton. Working with pretty much only Bolton fans up here the general feeling all season has been, well what else can he do? He''s got a poor squad with no money to buy, a constant need to sell sell sell whatever they can, including their training ground and stadium car park - from next season they''ll be training in a standard facility shared by youth teams which has portacabins and also they''ll train at the Reebok, they have gone large parts of the season unpaid - even right down to the guys that supply the sausage rolls I believe, it''s no wonder they''re bottom - I can''t imagine it''s much of a sacking, and more a ''please let me leave, I''m fed up'' kind of thing - especially as the academy boss is taking charge until the end of the season! It''ll be sad to see them go down again, but like it did us, it gives them a chance to start again and build the club up again :) 

But I can rremember when "we want to be Bolton". Don''t they have one of those shiny rich owners?

Oh the shifting sands of football jealousy...

NN wrote;

But I can remember when "we want to be Bolton". Don''t they have one of those shiny rich owners?

Oh the shifting sands of football jealousy...

Great point, if I remember Nigel Worthington used to visit Bolton to learn from them, and they (and Charlton) were held up as the "business model" we should emulate.

Ha.
No doubting it was a difficult job at Bolton - it would require a manager somewhat better than the rest in that league to get them performing above themselves to give them an opportunity to stay up. Someone like Lambert, for example.
It shows that, at absolute best, Lennon is nothing more than an average Championship manager.

It is very difficult to predict how any manager would have faired under the conditions at Bolton.

Unless I''ve missed it, I''ve not seen a similar thread, but about Chris Hughton and where he has Brighton in the table and how it seems fairly likely that with our squad, had he stayed, he would have got us back up.

To be fair to Lennon, he has had to do the job with both arms tied behind his back. Bolton''s perilous financial position meant he ha no money for transfers, they hardly had the money to pay wages regularly.

Had he come to Carrow Road and been given the investment money Adams and Neil have had who knows how he would have done?

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Found this from way back, some interesting suggestions, it''s a good job the board didn''t follow some of the choices.  [/quote]Interesting...............with just one with the right answer.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Found this from way back, some interesting suggestions, it''s a good job the board didn''t follow some of the choices.  [/quote]Interesting...............with just one with the right answer.[/quote]
That was spooky, does he do the lottery? To be fair though he was just basing it on Alex Neil''s initials.