Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Defence, what's changed?

Now we haven''t gone on a Worldy of a defensive run, but for over a game and a half, the opposition haven''t had a shot on target, so what could have gone right, that didn''t look like happening for more than 20 minutes in a game before?

Russell Martin''s vegan diet. Nobody wants to get near him after his fibre-rich lunch.

Timm Klose - John Ruddy coming back to form after being dropped - Russell Martin playing well in his best position at right back - Martin Olsson putting in his best performances of the season - better screening from the central midfield - and Bennett/Bassong doing the defensive basics well.

Think that covers it ;)

TL, agreed, but I think Klose getting up to speed in this league has made all the difference.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Now we haven''t gone on a Worldy of a defensive run, but for over a game and a half, the opposition haven''t had a shot on target, so what could have gone right, that didn''t look like happening for more than 20 minutes in a game before?[/quote] Olsson restored at LB, Klose''s experience, O''Neil''s positional discipline, Jarvis giving his RB some proper help and, most important of all, not over-committing in attack (i.e. not having both full backs the entire midfield and the striker swanning around the opposition penalty area).

Dare I say it but we''ve looked better since Tettey got injured and G O''N has come into the side.

Klose is a proper CB, he''s organising the defence and the midfield infront of him. He''s essentially doing the job of the captain, a job that the captain hasn''t done all season. No offence Martin!?

[quote user="firststeps"]Klose is a proper CB, he''s organising the defence and the midfield infront of him. He''s essentially doing the job of the captain, a job that the captain hasn''t done all season. No offence Martin!?[/quote]

No, it''s definitely the introduction of the plastic bags, haven''t conceded.

I agree with the right back getting some more cover. No suprise that were reaping the rewards of players playing in the correct positions. Martin, Olsson, Brady & Howson etc.

A fortnight break, with a training trip to Dubai has helped also

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Looks like it helped[Y]

[/quote]

Yes.  Imagine the people running our club knowing roughly what they''re doing... 80% of the posters here would be amazed.

[quote user="Alex "]Dare I say it but we''ve looked better since Tettey got injured and G O''N has come into the side.[/quote]

Hey Alex, how''re you doing? I''m a lot happier today. I think it''s more about ONeill stepping up than Tettey being out!

[quote user="ItsCharacterForming"][quote user="Alex "]Dare I say it but we''ve looked better since Tettey got injured and G O''N has come into the side.[/quote]

Hey Alex, how''re you doing? I''m a lot happier today. I think it''s more about ONeill stepping up than Tettey being out![/quote]

Good ta Bob, and good to hear you''re happy too mate! I trust you were at the Hawthorns today? Absolutely delighted with the result obviously, totally agree re G O''N, he really has stepped up and I''m pleased for him after the slating he got after that admittedly stupid sending off. Seeing the likes of him coming into form at just the right time can give us a genuine sense of optimism for the remaining games I feel buddy!.

Agree that Gary O''Neil has been immense since that knock on the head ! But Klose is Klass for me, wins almost everything in the air, looking the part now. RM is playing much better at RB and Olssson has a point to prove at LB to keep his place, all shaping up nicely for the run in.

It''s much better and we have restricted Man City and West Brom to very little.

Klose has been very good indeed. Now that he is match fit, formed partnerships with his team mates and acclimatised to the Prem, he is providing dependable displays which breeds confidence throughout the defence and helps us to relax under pressure, rather than the opposite!

I don''t know how much it is down to Klose, but the team as a whole looks tighter defensively recently. One would assume it was the trip away that did it.

On Ruddy, generally good today but kicking in the first half was awful.

Our attacking play remains unconvincing. We lack that bit of quality in the final third - be it cross or final pass - and seem to rarely have many shots on target.

Enough of the negatives though. A missive win from the boys