Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Momentum

I recall under Adams last season when we were top of the league and 3 points clear (I think), we subsequently lost our next game at home to Charlton 1-0. We didn''t play badly at all in this game and it was just one of those matches where nothing would go our way. Epitomised by the 30 yard, horrifically deflected shot that saw them take the lead late on.

What followed was similar performances against Rotherham at home and then Leeds I believe. Only with deteriorating aggression from us as each game passed and a visible draining of momentum and confidence. It transpired into the slump that saw us drop all the way to 10th place.

It made me realise the full importance of momentum in football and I''m really hoping that these last 2 results are going to have a similar effect on the team only in a positive manner.

We''ve all recognised the improvement in our performances recently, even before Man City, we could see a steady growth in our solidarity as well as individual improvements from players such as Redmond, Howson, Ruddy, Martin and Klose.

Now that this steady improvement has started to result in actual points on the board and not hard luck stories; I''m hoping this momentum can snowball into something that sees us stay in this league and finish the season very strongly. We''ve got a favourable run of fixtures ahead and it feels like the club and fans alike are all once again pulling in the same direction.

It''s a shame about the timing of the international break, the Newcastle game just can''t come soon enough and I really feel like Carrow Road is going to be rocking!!

It''s going to take a lot of scrimmage from everyone but I''m confident we can do it.. OTBC

To add to momentum is the feeling that just maybe the luck has turned. Yesterday''s performance wasn''t that different to several others, but the two errors we made (Ruddy and O''Neil) were not punished - partly because of a better defensive shape created by Klose, but mainly because the strikers didn''t hit the target (unlike, for instance, Henderson for Liverpool and Noble for West Ham - neither of whom have hit a barn door for the rest of the season).

Add to that, the ref didn''t give a penalty against Klose last week for handball, and we actually got a bouncing ball that fell our way yesterday - we also got one last week, but Dorrans missed the target.

I know that hard working teams tend to "get lucky" and obviously there is some truth in that, but I get the feeling that now we might genuinely start to believe that we are good enough.

And although no one seems to think Palace or Swansea are in the mix, I think they still might be. As we know, it is very hard to get your heads into a relegation battle when you were 5th at the turn of the year like Palace were - remind anyone of 1995?