Sign in to follow this  
Unhinged Canary

Johan Cruyff

A great player who stood by his principles and refused on moral grounds to takes part in the 1978 World Cup in Argentina. Rest in peace.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]A great player who stood by his principles and refused on moral grounds to takes part in the 1978 World Cup in Argentina. Rest in peace.[/quote]I was trusting Glanville''s updated history of the World Cup, which gives politics are the reason. Cruyff later said it was fear of kidnapping. But he, like Breitner of that era, was known for anti-establishment views.

Johan Cruyff was the original Lionel Messi. Outside of NCFC, I grew up being mesmerised by videos etc of the Dutch greats - and Cruyff was the greatest of the lot. Gutted. RIP Total Football.

So sad to hear this news, not so old either, sublime and always a pleasure to watch him in action. Must be in most peoples list of top ten best players ever, Peace Johan.

Had the great pleasure of seeing him in action for New York Cosmos against Chelsea in a friendly back in the late 70s - still a fantastic player then. Stamford Bridge was packed to the rafters mainly to see Cruyff so you can imagine the groan that went around when the team announcer (mistakenly) missed his name from the Cosmos teamsheet!!! RIP Johan - a master of the game.

Saw on Twitter someone said footballers who have a move named after them will always be legends i.e. the Cruyff Turn. I immediately thought of Mark Fotheringham with his Fozzy Flick. Guess it doesn''t always apply! In my childhood, Cruyff was the Messi of the time. Random kids had his name on their shirts. RIP.

It''s a sad day when one of the greats passes away and at the fairly young age of 68. Having said that, it is a warning to all smokers out there, he died of lung cancer.

I hope they will honour his passing at the match on Tuesday at Wembley, I will be sitting g next to a cloggy that might and it would fitting for the occasion if proper respect is given to the memory of a truly great player

Indeed a real legend, loved the guy, he along with Muller, Beckenbauer and Panenka were my continental favourites when growing up.....RIP.

Another legend of my childhood gone. So wanted Holland to beat Germany in 1974. Loved that he tore the third adidas stripe off his shirt . A very principled man . And a wonderful player. Anyone know is he ever played against City? I can''t think any time? A friendly maybe?

Pure Footballing Legend and a few of our ''modern players'' should take a leaf out of Cruyff''s book on how to behave as a pro'' and to conduct one''s self.....RIP Johan......

Never saw him live, or Beckanbaur but have read enough and seen enough video''s to realise just how special a player he (both) was, and how they influenced the game as we know it today. Sad loss at an early age.

Just heard the story yesterday how he missed a world cup because his wife wouldn''t let him play, after him and his teammates were caught skinny dipping with some females whist at training camp,,,, had he played they reckon Holland would have won the world cup.