Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Louis Thompson

As with almost every single transfer in football Borbyn..

It was widely reported to be 1.4 million with add ons.

A pound is the basic monetary unit of the UK, times it by a million and you have "millions of pounds"...

It''s a fu*king football forum anyway not a Maths/English exam.

Who gives a sh*t!

So even if your numbers are accurate, which is doubtful, let''s say we sign 5 Miquels . 3 don''t make it, 1 makes the first team and 1 is a success who signs for a higher club for £5m plus.

That''s not a bad business model, is it?

I hope we haven''t signed 5 miquels lol!

I''ll reiterate I never said it was a bad business model, just a risky one, and again it needs to pay off sooner rather than later or we''re just throwing money down the drain.

I just hope the guys cherry picking these players know what they''re doing! Ultimately Miquel was a failure, I can''t see Mcgrandles making the grade, Thompson looked promising in pre season so hopefully he''ll be the one!

Why are my figures "doubtful"?

Agree with you wholeheartedly STAN.

It is a commendable strategy but it is costing the Club money and so far hasn''t brought the slightest hint of reward.

Some say that these youngsters need time.

Some young players do, some don''t and we haven''t benefited from the latter yet.

Perhaps young Madison will signal the breakthrough, but I seem to remember McGrandles being spoken of as the next Georgie Best in some circles.

This strategy fails if none make our first team, irrespective of what division we occupy. Will any recoup the money spent in fees?

I''m hoping it fructifies, and that we continue to invest this way, but at the moment it hasn''t been of obvious benefit to the Club.

A Club that needs to watch every pound it spends, at least until this season''s outcome is finalised.

Yep, I guess if we''d not risked that money it could have gone on wages to other players...

Perhaps Lafferty could have earned a few bob more...

So your argument in favour of signing players who aren''t good enough is that we''ve already got players who aren''t good enough.

Makes sense.

Who''s argument?

Is this the right thread for an argument? looks like you''re the right poster...

So broady, you''re a bricks and mortar man. Another Robert Chase :) it won''t make any odds to you if the roof leaks...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Agree with you wholeheartedly STAN.

It is a commendable strategy but it is costing the Club money and so far hasn''t brought the slightest hint of reward.

Some say that these youngsters need time.

Some young players do, some don''t and we haven''t benefited from the latter yet.

Perhaps young Madison will signal the breakthrough, but I seem to remember McGrandles being spoken of as the next Georgie Best in some circles.

This strategy fails if none make our first team, irrespective of what division we occupy. Will any recoup the money spent in fees?

I''m hoping it fructifies, and that we continue to invest this way, but at the moment it hasn''t been of obvious benefit to the Club.

A Club that needs to watch every pound it spends, at least until this season''s outcome is finalised.[/quote]I don''t think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. If you are expecting us to sign youngsters and expect them to be good enough for the first team straight away then you are deluded. It''s costing the club money that the club can afford and has put aside to strengthen our next generation of potential players.

I''m all for the policy of buying young players. The going rate for exciting, young English players is outrageous and even if one of them becomes a first team regular then it would be worth it.

The only thing is that we have to give them a chance at some point. Chelsea are a good example of how not to do it - with Lukaku, De Bruyne proving to be excellent players.

I think it is exciting - the prospect of Toffolo, Thompson, the Murphy twins, Maddison and obviously Redmond (please sign a new contract!) lining up for us is great.

A great shame about McGrandles. Whatever potential he had could potentailly be ruined with the leg break.

[quote user="STAN"]As with almost every single transfer in football Borbyn..

It was widely reported to be 1.4 million with add ons.

A pound is the basic monetary unit of the UK, times it by a million and you have "millions of pounds"...[/quote]

So accepting this stan, it was 1.4mil with add ons, with his long and successful career with us he must have hit all of the milestones to trigger the add ons, or in actual fact, he achieved nothing with us so those clauses weren''t triggered and he actually cost is a fraction of 1.4mil, in all likelihood he will have cost less than a million as a base fee for a young player who was a huge gamble...

"I don''t think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

If you are expecting us to sign youngsters and expect them to be good enough for the first team straight away then you are deluded."

So politely put.

Who said anything about expecting these youngsters to be ready for the first team straight away?

I clearly stated that some need time, whilst others didn''t and that we have yet to benefit from the latter.

Thompson is twenty one now and there are plenty of his age in Premier League squads. Everton, for one example, have both Stones and Barkley, who are also full internationals.

Thompson has yet to progress beyond the Swindon Town first team.

Yes, it is a commendable strategy, but it is not inexpensive and it therefore needs getting right to the extent that would be nice to see at least a sign of some return on investment, sooner rather than later. I am not expecting a supply of internationals either.

Madison might represent that breakthrough.

Buying young talent from lower divisions is a far better prospect than the the grade 1 Academy, costing approximately £2milion per season.

Conversely though broadstairs, many players don''t break into a prem team until their mid twenties, vardy was still non league when 24 for example... Players mature at different rates and only the truly exceptional make it into a prem team whilst teenagers and being blunt, we would stand virtually no chance of signing a youngster from the lower leagues of that caliber.

To be fair Swindon, the point of the Grade 1 Academy works in tandem with signing these players. Without it we wouldn''t have the option to sign players like the Murphy''s ect.

That''s probably very true CS and the chances of us landing the next Deli Alli, who was acquired on a similar buy-loan basis from MK Dons, seems remote.

This truism could, in fact, be used as another argument against our widespread adoption of this strategy.

I''ll resist the temptation though as it''s early days and I have high hopes for Madison based upon the hype surrounding his signing and even though they all seem to be signed amidst glowing reports (including Thompson and especially McGrandles) which seem to be taking time to be realised.

As I say, early days, and it only needs one.

Last season we tried to sign a young fullback from MK Dons, Brendan Gallaway. He opted to sign for Everton instead & has been in their first team this season. Would we have this conversation if he had opted for us & played in our first team this season.

Norwich are very new to this strategy & will be playing catch up (as with the academy) for sometime to come. Already Glenn Middleton is playing in the under 21s as an under 16 having been signed from Northampton as a 12 year old. Will he make it? I haven''t a clue, talented youngsters coming through is a very inexact science.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"I don''t think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

If you are expecting us to sign youngsters and expect them to be good enough for the first team straight away then you are deluded."

So politely put.

Who said anything about expecting these youngsters to be ready for the first team straight away?

I clearly stated that some need time, whilst others didn''t and that we have yet to benefit from the latter.

Thompson is twenty one now and there are plenty of his age in Premier League squads. Everton, for one example, have both Stones and Barkley, who are also full internationals.

Yes, it is a commendable strategy, but it is not inexpensive and it therefore needs getting right to the extent that would be nice to see at least a sign of some return on investment, sooner rather than later. I am not expecting a supply of internationals either.

Madison might represent that breakthrough.[/quote]

Where was Jamie Vardy when he was twenty one

[quote user="cornish sam"]Conversely though broadstairs, many players don''t break into a prem team until their mid twenties, vardy was still non league when 24 for example... Players mature at different rates and only the truly exceptional make it into a prem team whilst teenagers and being blunt, we would stand virtually no chance of signing a youngster from the lower leagues of that caliber.[/quote]

And we would stand absolutely no chance if we didn''t try, would we?

Yes webbo, we should. I am all in favour o us trying to sign potential, I was just advocating patience and making the point that those we sign are long game players, not straight into the first team players (unless we get relegated).

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"I don''t think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

So politely put.

Madison might represent that breakthrough.[/quote]

Really?Wasn''t Redmond absolutely pivotal in the play offs for us? And isn''t he currently our top goalscorer and is pretty much toe to toe with £50m Raheem Sterling statistically this year?

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Last season we tried to sign a young fullback from MK Dons, Brendan Gallaway. He opted to sign for Everton instead & has been in their first team this season. Would we have this conversation if he had opted for us & played in our first team this season.

Norwich are very new to this strategy & will be playing catch up (as with the academy) for sometime to come. Already Glenn Middleton is playing in the under 21s as an under 16 having been signed from Northampton as a 12 year old. Will he make it? I haven''t a clue, talented youngsters coming through is a very inexact science.[/quote]

Interesting, do you think if he had joined us he''d be given a chance in our starting 11 like he''s had the first team experience at Everton. Our managers have a favouring to play experience over youth and I would imagine had Galloway signed for us he''d still be at MK Dons on loan.

Sometimes you have to have faith in youth and give them the chance like Man U are doing that playing in the big league just sparks a little bit extra from these youngsters.

It''s a difficult one to answer as we have had lots of potential from our youth but most have never come through, is it that they weren''t given a fair chance or were they never good enough!

"Really?

Wasn''t Redmond absolutely pivotal in the play offs for us? And isn''t he currently our top goalscorer and is pretty much toe to toe with £50m Raheem Sterling statistically this year?"

No, not really.

I don''t think any of the other contributors to this thread would include Redmond in the strategy being debated.

Nathan Redmond was an established Championship player, had been since the age of sixteen, had been in the England set up since he was fifteen, was sought after by other leading clubs, cost many millions more and, most importantly, was considered ready to step into a Premier League starting eleven.

By contrast, the development of the talented youngsters in question in this thread, and starting with Louis Thompson, truly represent what has been called earlier an "inexact science."

None of Thompson, McGrandles, Madison, Ebou Adams or Ben Godfrey have any international recognition of note, all come from lower league clubs and all (I believe) have subsequently been returned to their original clubs to continue their development having, as yet, little chance of penetrating our first team squad, let alone the starting eleven.

Neither can anybody confidently predict their immediate futures at the Club, even if the worst should happen to us this season.

All this does is to emphasise just how lucky we were to get Redmond when we did, and we have to thank the Chris Hughton connection for that.

The situation that NCFC finds it''s self in with regards these youngster is there to be praised and we all have to hope that it eventually bears fruit but there is an element of financial risk involved which it will need constant assessment by McNally and Co.

Nothing in this game is black and white.

Apparently Thompson and McGrandles cost around £1m each, and Madison more than this. We are now in all probability contributing to the increase in wages that was offered to lure them in the first place. All I recall of the Ebou Adams arrangement is that we have offered Dartford a friendly, but no doubt more cash was involved and I believe Godfrey went straight into the Academy.

These are arrangements, along with Category 1, more in accord with the television millions and we may not be able to be as expansive after the result of the next few weeks, although we might just have unearthed a gem already, and in this respect Madison would seem to be the most likely (minus Coventry City''s add-ons).

You said that some youngsters we sign take time to come to fruition, and some don''t, and we are yet to benefit from the latter. Redmond was young, signed from the lower leagues, and broke in to the first team, so we have benefitted from the latter.