Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Louis Thompson

Another pointless signing from the lower leagues/ reserve leagues that we loaned straight out. Have any of them worked out?

We''ve had Ignasi Miquel, Daniel Ayala, Jake Kean, Conor McGrandles and this guy. I''ve probably forgotten some as well!

Hoefully James Maddison will be a different entity and be straight into the first team picture next season no matter what league we''re in. Just seems a waste of time and money to keep doing this strategy.

We signed some bloke called Grant Holt from the lower leagues Tettey''s Jig.

I can''t for the life of me remember how his Norwich City career turned out, but probably worth checking up on Google or something.

It represents an interesting strategy that I cannot recall the Club embarking on before.

All these youngsters come with rave revues, but none seem to break through into the first team squad. I had high hopes of McGrandles, for example, based upon the hype that surrounded him, but (irrespective of his injury) his progress seems to have stalled.

Perhaps things would have been different if we had stayed in the Championship, but you could say the same about the Murphy twins, Toffolo and Loza.

Now we have high hopes for Madison which may be more realistic. We also have the boy from Dartford.

It does seem rather wasteful as decent amounts are being spent without return.

I suppose it only takes one, and Madison seems the most likely.

Swindon clearly value Thompson, for what it''s worth, but there''s nothing to suggest that he deserves a place in our first-team squad, as yet.

Would the interests of player and club be best served if they were to remain at Carrow Road?

At least we know that Neil Adams knows what he is doing (smiley.)

Broad stairs,

"does seem rather wasteful as decent amounts are being spent without return"

Loan fees + wages being paid, does not equate to "without return"

Factor in any transfer fees if they do get sold on.

Factor in the concept of taking the best British kids off the market so we get to cherry pick them and our competitors are frozen out unless we decide to sell at attractive rates.

Also the chance that one or two might be able to be used in first team, this likelihood increases if we are in Championship.

Some fans might not agree with the policy, however, it''s a model which could make a profit and a model which many Premier League clubs use.

Not many clubs have success with every young player they sign else unearth.We were doing it in the 70''s and it wasn''t always coming off then. Been the same ever since.The club did, and, apparantly, still does, hold Louis Thompson in very high regard. Look how long it took Drinkwater (and loan spells) to go from ''promising'' to an England call up-four years after he left Man Utd as the former.Thompson will get his chance here I am sure-but even if he doesn''t, if we sell him at a profit, it''s still a successful signing as far as the club is concerned. Lee Power admits in that piece that they''d love him back but it won''t happen, they couldn''t afford him.

Thirsty Lizard you missed my point. Holt was signed when we were in league 1 to be our main striker, straight in the side. Its not where they come from really that bothers me, more our intentions. I just dont see the point in us having Louis Thompson, was it ever going to work?

Is it not better to speculate £8 million pounds on 4-6 young prospects rather than the same amount of money on one player who may equally fail (see RvW)?

Apples

It''s sad that an article praising one of our players should create a reaction of "another pointless signing"

We should not write off players so early- if only a few realise their potential it will be worthwhile.

We need top quality coaches to develop all our young talent so we don''t rely on coaching from a lower league.

Blimey he has been ''our'' player for 18 months and we have never seen him in a City shirt ! This does seem a strange one and i hope young Godfrey from York who nobody has mentioned yet on this thread does not follow the same path.

Exactly TC, it won''t work every time. But if we find one gem then it is worth the risk.

Let''s not forget Adam Drury and Russell Martin ''Mr Norwich City''s'' in their respective era''s, and Holt as well.

Surely we can get a little excited about the Murphy''s? Not guaranteed world beaters but there''s certainly a lot of talent there. We can monitor these players all we like, but if Chelsea come in and offer them a contract why would they come to Norwich? By signing them they are our projects and ours if they become successful.

As for Thompson, well, the same goes. If he doesn''t succeed then there''s nothing really lost in the scheme of things. But if he comes on strides and becomes a high quality player, well then, at least he''ll be ours.

AJ, why that''s just crazy talk...go and hang your head in shame and have a good think about what you''ve just said. All of the prospects we sign should be at least 98.64821% ready to conquer the Premier League...

Apples

Well to be fair Apples it''s a difficult scale to grasp. According to some, despite playing more games than any other canary at top flight, Russell Martin still isn''t ready to conquer the Premier League...

I would have thought this strategy is executed with one eye on the fact we may not last in the PL and we need good young players to break through if and when we are relegated and the "big names" leave.
If we stay up then happy days, and we can presumably sell these decent young players for more than we bought them for as they have proved themselves while out on loan at league clubs.
I really don''t see the problem here.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Ryan Bennett from the Posh (Port out starboard home)

Russell Martin from the Posh

Early days re our youngsters, give ''em a chance.[/quote]Tbf, Martin was actually in the league above when we signed him initially on loan, pretty sure he signed a contract with us whilst we were still in league 1 and the Posh were in the Championship. And people seeing us sign youngsters and expecting immediate success are incredibly short sighted and would be the same people who call to sack a manager after a tough run and drop a player after one poor performance.

Bor

Query what big names we have here apart from perhaps Brady who would get into any other Premiership club

[quote user="daly"]Bor

Query what big names we have here apart from perhaps Brady who would get into any other Premiership club[/quote]
Did you notice I put "big names" in quotation marks?
Do you know what that implies?

Borbyn, can you honestly see anybody giving us 1.5+ million for Mcgrandles and/or Thompson if they don''t make it here?

To make out we''re cherry picking Britains best youngsters is almost laughable, if they had shown any promise of being the "best" they wouldn''t be signing for us.

It''s basically a gamble that these lads will rapidly progress. A risky strategy but it can work.

It would be nice see just one of them cement a place in the team next season!

[quote user="STAN"]Borbyn, can you honestly see anybody giving us 1.5+ million for Mcgrandles and/or Thompson if they don''t make it here?

To make out we''re cherry picking Britains best youngsters is almost laughable, if they had shown any promise of being the "best" they wouldn''t be signing for us.

It''s basically a gamble that these lads will rapidly progress. A risky strategy but it can work.

It would be nice see just one of them cement a place in the team next season![/quote]
I don;t know.  Do you know that we won''t get £1.5m plus?
I didn''t say we were cherry picking Britain''s best youngsters.
Yes, it is a gamble. Though if you can loan them out and they perform well, as this lad is doing, it''s less of a gamble.
Let''s see what happens next season then.
Have a nice evening.

If Thompson and Mcgrandles don''t make it here I can guarantee you we won''t get 1.5 million plus for them.

Why are you always on the defensive? Seems like nobody can so much as question your opinion.

[quote user="STAN"]If Thompson and Mcgrandles don''t make it here I can guarantee you we won''t get 1.5 million plus for them.

Why are you always on the defensive? Seems like nobody can so much as question your opinion.[/quote]
I''m not on the defensive, I just didn''t agree with the points you were making.  Show me where I was being "defensive" if you like.
Suggesting that you can somehow guarantee the price we will get for players we haven''t sold yet suggests to me that you have an on/off relationship with reality.
I repeat that stocking the club with promising talent is both a strategy to mitigate the impact of potential relegation and a way to develop and sell on players.  I cannot see a single downside to the strategy.

I would rather we were realistic and plan for relegation. The policy of buying young talent and giving them regular football prepares us for relegation in a way that Newcastle or Villa are not.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t know if this is what you meant Bristol but the realists would plan for staying up and relegation.[/quote]

Absolutely NN. That is why we spent 8 million on established players and also brought in young prospects. It is quietly building for next season either way.

Borbyn, so you can''t see the downside to signing players like Ignasi Miguel for millions of pounds only to let them move on for pennies?

As I said I don''t necessarily disagree with the strategy, but it''s a risky one and we need to see it pay off sooner or later or we''re just throwing money down the drain.

As for being on the defensive it''s just your smarmy remarks like "have a nice evening" and taking personal digs to back up your points.

As for my "on/off relationship with reality".. if you''re able to predict we''ll turn a profit on all these players, then why can''t I predict we won''t?

Have a nice day.

It seems that people are desperate to write off some of our young players before they have properly developed.....players improve at different rates and although by law of averages some youngsters won''t turn out to be good enough some will if we are patient enough. We don''t need to pigeonhole them all five minutes after signing.

[quote user="STAN"]Borbyn, so you can''t see the downside to signing players like Ignasi Miguel for millions of pounds only to let them move on for pennies?[/quote]
Ignasi Miguel was signed for an undisclosed fee.
Can you disclose what that fee was?
"Millions of pounds"?
Please justify that statement.