Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

Danny Mills ... Did he really come from Norwich?

I didn''t get to the Man City home game so playing catch up this evening with a recording of the full match. Not sure which channel but Danny Mills is the assistant commentator.

HE IS UNBELIEVABLY NEGATIVE TOWARDS NORWICH!

He is even referring to "City" the whole time, presumably not realising that Norwich is also a city!

Honestly it really sounds like he wants us to lose the match.

He played in a poorCity team back in the late 90s or early 00s when we were in the 2nd tier and never really threatened to go up. And he struggled to keep in our first team. Then he moved on and somehow managed to get into the England team despite a marked lack of ability. Now he clearly resents any reminder, which is actually quite understandable...

I was listening to the game on R5 and one commentator kept referring to "city" meaning man city and the other picked him up on it a few times, towards the end he stopped, mostly, which is good

It always grates on me, also if Newcastle are playing Man U and they talk about"United" that bugs me too.

Technically, he came from Old Catton, just went to Sprowston High School.

Nothing much changed then....

To be fair, he must have had something about him as however you dress it up he played for his country in a World Cup. I''ve heard similar "he wasn''t much good" comments about Chris Sutton''s time at Hellesdon, but he''s the only one who made a living from the game. They can''t be just "lucky", the truth is that we (as kids) don''t appreciate the full package or see the attributes that a scout picks out that sets them apart.

I also went to school with him, it''s fair to say he was not popular. He was by no means the best footballer in his year, far from it in fact. He had a desire to succeed and had a hell of a lot of luck. You simply wouldn''t have picked him out to go onto have the career he had, he just wanted to do it and didn''t care who he upset or how unpopular he was. I actually didn''t mind him, I was in many lessons with him and played football with him from the age of 6. Many of us were in NCFC''s centre of excellence from the age of 10 with him and of the 7 or 8 of us he was probably the least technically gifted. Despite being his ''friend'' at school and within the youth team we played for he would kick lumps out of you at training. If the coach wanted a volunteer to do something he would be first with his hand up, pushing his way to the front.

On another matter he was a spurs fan as a kid, not Leeds as he apparently made out when he signed for them!

Mills did indeed come from Old Catton, which for those who don''t know is a suburb of Norwich.

You have to hand it to him in the sense of what he achieved. He had a huge amount of drive, with limited talent.

When he first got in the first team at Norwich, it was clear after a few games that he was out of death, though from memory that was at Centre Back., before he went to right back. His long ball, no-nonsense style was not remotely suited to Norwich City, but he had a fan in then England U21 manager Curbishley who signed him for Charlton. His career blossomed and got two huge contracts with Leeds (when he was allegedly the highest paid full back in the U.K) and Manchester City.

I view Mills as someone who worked very hard and saw football for what it was and still is - a working class game that has got completely out of hand in the financial sense - and was their to be exploited. Period. That is exactly what he did and he''ll never have to work again.

From a footballing point of view, I never enjoyed watching him and only he can answer the question ''was it all actually worth it?'', but with he endless Norwich negativity, Danny clearly had issues that remain unresolved.

out of six millions sperm, Danny was the quickest to reach the egg.....

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Nothing much changed then....

To be fair, he must have had something about him as however you dress it up he played for his country in a World Cup. I''ve heard similar "he wasn''t much good" comments about Chris Sutton''s time at Hellesdon, but he''s the only one who made a living from the game. They can''t be just "lucky", the truth is that we (as kids) don''t appreciate the full package or see the attributes that a scout picks out that sets them apart.[/quote]Scouts are briefed on what to look for in a player... if it''s a defender they wont be looking for smeone with the tricks of Messi.How well does he read the game? what''s his positioning like? can he communicate "along the line and forwards", can he tackle - is he a ball player or is he no nonsense?Managers have their certain type of player and system they like. Its worth noting that at the time Charlton, Leeds and Man City were all physical sides who liked to kick people up in the air.. bang on for Mills and the way he played!

I think the difference between Danny Mills andChris Sutton was thatMills was a player of limited ability who somehow managed to make it to play in the Prem and for his country. Sutton was one of the top English strikers of his period and did very well in the Prem although for various reasons not for England but if anything given his ability Sutton could have done better than he did over his career.