Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Newcastle Nearly Skint !

That''s something of a Straw Man argument to be honest. Of course, nobody wants an owner like Mike Ashley or worse still, Massimo Cellino, at the club.

However, we do need to get away from this somewhat parochial and small minded idea that some fans are wedded to that someone external with money to invest is automatically ''bad'' and will absolutely shaft the club.

There are decent owners out there. If you look at clubs of similar stature, size and history, an obvious recent example is what has happened to Leicester City. They have managed to find owners with the resources and the right attitude to push the club forward.

Obviously, no one (including the owners) in their wildest dreams would have envisaged that winning the Premier League was possible and that can''t be anyone''s realistic expectation. However, if there is the possibility of getting someone in who could to give the club durability in the top flight then it needs consideration. And I''m sure the club look at it constantly.

Delia and Michael have been wonderful stewards and custodians of the club (although it''s worth remembering we too have sailed very close to the wind financially under their tenure) but they won''t go on forever and we will need to look at some form of succession planning in the future.

[quote user="Jacko"]That''s something of a Straw Man argument to be honest. Of course, nobody wants an owner like Mike Ashley or worse still, Massimo Cellino, at the club.

However, we do need to get away from this somewhat parochial and small minded idea that some fans are wedded to that someone external with money to invest is automatically ''bad'' and will absolutely shaft the club.[/quote]
I think that idea "some fans are wedded to" might only exist in your own mind.   I have never seen a single person on this message board say that an external investor is bad just because they are an external investor.
I have however seen many people hold up examples of bad external investors, probably because there are many examples to be had.

This really is a debate worth having but it won''t get off the ground on here. I''ve posted on here for nearly 10 years and in that time the clubs shown as an example for getting richer owners easily exceed the amount of clubs in the PL. The shifting sands of time mean that those offered as examples, because they are doing better than us, change every few years. Then easily get forgotten about as they struggle in debt beneath us. Nobody I know is married to our owners. But some see a bigger picture where the truth is that owners like them are few and far between. I just hope that if/when we do get richer owners we get some of the few. But the odds aren''t kind.

My concern is that when Delia and Michael step back into the shadows it looks like the succession plan is Tom Smith aided by Ed Balls. Is that seen as stability or progression ? David McNally will not be around for ever and i have my own views on that so let us not go off topic which means where will the nous and driving force come from ? Stefan Philips is a non player as far as i can see and Michael Foulger is rather like Delia and Michael in so much as he puts his hand in his pocket when a financial crisis looms and for that we are grateful but the big picture for the years ahead in my opinion just seems like preparation for more fire fighting as and when.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]My concern is that when Delia and Michael step back into the shadows it looks like the succession plan is Tom Smith aided by Ed Balls. Is that seen as stability or progression ? David McNally will not be around for ever and i have my own views on that so let us not go off topic which means where will the nous and driving force come from ? Stefan Philips is a non player as far as i can see and Michael Foulger is rather like Delia and Michael in so much as he puts his hand in his pocket when a financial crisis looms and for that we are grateful but the big picture for the years ahead in my opinion just seems like preparation for more fire fighting as and when.[/quote]
Is it worth getting St Andrews Hall teed up for old time''s sake?

For someone i have met and thought what an intelligent,articulate, pleasant man you were why you seem to think you are remotely funny on this forum is beyond me Bor. Your efforts in recent weeks just portray you as a rather sad individual intent on ruining threads or to take them off topic. Maybe that is what you want to achieve but sorry i just cannot get to grips with your multi persona.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]For someone i have met and thought what an intelligent,articulate, pleasant man you were why you seem to think you are remotely funny on this forum is beyond me Bor. Your efforts in recent weeks just portray you as a rather sad individual intent on ruining threads or to take them off topic. Maybe that is what you want to achieve but sorry i just cannot get to grips with your multi persona.[/quote]
If we all understood each other then the world would be a dull and boring place.
Thank you for your kind words.

Honestly, I''m more concerned about when the PL house of cards is going to fall. The system (FA, UEFA, FIFA, IOC, ect. ect. ect.) is about as bogus as IDC''s newly found ethics. The Brazil Olympics will probably be the spark and this "sporting" mafia will hopefully hit the floor. Delia et al are probably the right type of ownership to have for the next few years.

[quote user="mr footy"]They are debt free and will always get big crowds but have underachieved sounds familiar.[/quote]Very familiar. It is exactly what fans, journalists and experts on football finance say about Arsenal.

I am always interested when people (usually Arsenal fans) say Arsenal have underachieved. I recall they had some huge financial shackles in moving to the Emirates and the fact they have consistently delivered Champions League football suggests if they have underachieved then it is against a bar set artificially high.

Newcastle, on the other hand, have signed crap players and appointed crap managers, and paid them all in wheelbarrows of cash.

[quote user="George Osborn"]I am always interested when people (usually Arsenal fans) say Arsenal have underachieved. I recall they had some huge financial shackles in moving to the Emirates and the fact they have consistently delivered Champions League football suggests if they have underachieved then it is against a bar set artificially high.

Newcastle, on the other hand, have signed crap players and appointed crap managers, and paid them all in wheelbarrows of cash.[/quote]There was some validity in that argument for Arsenal, that always qualifying for the Champions League helped with paying off the Emirates debt, even if they promptly got eliminated as soon as they reached the knock-out stage.But the argument is getting thinner as each season passes. The club has a world record cash pile of £159m, at least some of which could presumably be spent on improving the squad. But again Arsenal lost as soon as the Champions League got serious, and in a season when they should be running away with the title it is likely to be won by Leicester, or Spurs...

Well, I agree with you there but we don''t know - or at least I don''t - if the club is to be run at cost, or to protect that giant pile of cash which might be used elsewhere for other sporting or non-sporting reasons.

It does seem that no matter what the competition, you can rely on Arsenal to finish 3rd.

[quote user="mr footy"]They are debt free and will always get big crowds but have underachieved sounds familiar.[/quote]

Sorry if I''m being thick here and have missed something but since when have Newcastle been debt free?!? The account that is "nearly dry" was originally made up of a £129 million loan from Ashley!

Cornish Sam got it right in terms of them not being debt free but owing £129m to Ashley. IMO, Ashley was making the point that he is reluctant to put anymore money in the club, so as rather than being skint, he is holding back the purse strings. I doubt very much that whilst Ashley has control of the club he would call in his debts but should a rival bidder for his controlling stake come forward, payment of his loan to the club would be item number one!

Exactly Ron, it''s like saying Bolton were debt free, or the winners. It''s fine until the purse strings get cut completely but should that happen you could end up in court or worse (see what happened to gretna)

Arghhhhh!!!! Worst autocorrect in history, binners became winners! Which is about as likely as an edit button on this forum...