Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Windows 10

I''m still using Windows 7 as when 10 was first launched there seemed to be a lot of problems with it and several people reverted back to Windows 7. Now it''s been running for some time, are you all happy with it or do some off you regret upgrading? I can''t make up my mind whether to upgrade or not. What are the pros and cons?

The main issue I have is that the start menu and something called "Cortana" (appears to be a pivotal bit of the operating system) will stop running and this requires a reboot.  However this is a known issue and happens less frequently so presume they may be fixing it in instalments.
The benefits are a much faster boot time, and generally quicker performance relative to Windows 7.  The interface is quite simple to use too, in fact not radically different.
Takes about 30 minutes to set up and if you can still get the free upgrade, I would do it.

Personally I have not upgraded yet for the following reasons.# Let Microsoft sort out all the bugs first using those that upgraded early as their guinea pigs# You have until June, one download and probably one big download of updates instead of multiple ones#The longer you leave it the more time third parties get to make their software compatible# Not everything that works on Windows 7 works with Windows 10# Microsoft has installed so much spyware on Windows 10 it concerns me but there are tutorials on how to remove it.# Windows 7 works great for me so see no need to change it until I have to.Not an expert in any way shape or form but just used others expertise on the net to help form my view.

Windows, ha ha ha ha. If anything, it''s very good at not responding and the circling blue doughnut is a nice touch.

Linux or Apple lads... Linux or Apple

I have to say, I have had zero compatibility issues with Windows 10 when compared with Windows 7 - a very straightforward upgrade, but then I don''t use much more than Office, Chrome, iPlayer, iTunes etc.

It is a step back from Windows 8, a compromise solution for the many who felt that 8 was too big a jump forward from 7.

I didn''t like 8 at first and installed Stardock''s Start 8, which provided the start old menu and the desktop page.

I had gradually got to use 8 more, and find it good for accessing apps etc.

It would actually help to have some awareness of 8 to appreciate 10 more, IMO.

I had a phone call from a really nice guy at Windows, he got into my laptop and set everything up for me free of charge. It''s so much better now, I can even log into my internet banking without needing a password. A lot more convenient.

[quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]The main issue I have is that the start menu and something called "Cortana" (appears to be a pivotal bit of the operating system) will stop running and this requires a reboot.  However this is a known issue and happens less frequently so presume they may be fixing it in instalments.
The benefits are a much faster boot time, and generally quicker performance relative to Windows 7.  The interface is quite simple to use too, in fact not radically different.
Takes about 30 minutes to set up and if you can still get the free upgrade, I would do it.
[/quote]
You can disable " Cortana " and a number of other invasive features of 10 with this free programme.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Have you checked if you''ve got any money left, I had the same call and smelt a rat.[/quote]

Post was in reply to Mr Jenkins

Have felt no need whatsoever to upgrade from 7, they got pretty much everything right with 7, and there is nothing about 10 that makes me want it more.Until, of course, Microsoft stop supporting 7 and force you to upgrade, of course.

CANARYKING wrote the following post at 26/03/2016 2:55 PM:

Have you checked if you''ve got any money left, I had the same call and smelt a rat.

😄

Widows 10 is fine, as long as you don''t carry out the recommended download as it''s full of snooping programsPS. WATCH OUT for the board police, this should be on ''non-football''

It was already installed on a new computer I had to buy but its been nothing but a pain in the arse, the 2 finger pinch system which changes the icons of which I have disabled at least 6 times still returns and the screen become either a midget or a screen with room for one word only.

Feel sometimes like topping myself but open a bottle of Malt Whisky and think of NCFC and the future seems Yellow and Green

PS DON''T BOTHER

[quote user="MooreMarriot"][quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]The main issue I have is that the start menu and something called "Cortana" (appears to be a pivotal bit of the operating system) will stop running and this requires a reboot.  However this is a known issue and happens less frequently so presume they may be fixing it in instalments.
[/quote]
You can disable " Cortana " and a number of other invasive features of 10 with this free programme.
[/quote]
Thank you.  It is quite interesting how Microsoft''s end user licence for W10 basically says "we will store all your data and analyse it, and may also log keystrokes".
I''m quite happy with Windows 10 but I think I would agree, if you don''t have to update just yet then stick with W7 and wait until there is no alternative but to upgrade.  My PC is quicker on W10 but mostly in terms of boot time, probably 30 seconds from switch on to login instead of 2-3 minutes.  So if you like drinking tea, no real benefit there.
My laptop was Windows 8.1 so I upgraded that as soon as I could, and W10 is so much better in terms of speed, ease of use, logical layout etc. - it feels like W10 is almost a W7.5.

I haven''t used Windows on my home PC for almost a decade.Linux all the way!use Windows at work, what a shockingly poor, slow, bugged out mess the system has become.

Upgraded my i7 Desktop in November from Windows7, and everything went OK. I had to reload a wireless printer driver, and that was about it for troubles. Boots up quicker which is nice, and you soon get used to the differences. The thing I find isn''t very reliable is the Application Downloads. (Programs are now called Applications). Despite having BT''s best speed fibre speed available in rural Norfolk, often the App downloads seem to freeze for an age, that can be quite frustrating as you normally download software because you need to use it there and then.

With an older computer that runs fine on your present OS I wouldn''t bother, but any machine less than a few years old, it should only benefit with regards to enhanced security and faster boot-up.

It''s about time they upgraded this message board from being optimised for Windows 3.1.   

I find it very interesting that the British men, Alan Turing the pioneer of the computer and Tim Berners-Lee the inventor of the world wide web made no money out of their discoveries, yet the American Bill Gates who invented the operating system became the richest man in the world !

Installed 10 as soon as it was available - just an upgrade from 8.1 & it only took about an hour.Easy to use, have had absolutely no problems, it works really well and I like it.It''s easy to get rid of, or disable, things you don''t want or don''t like e.g. Cortana, Edge etc

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I haven''t used Windows on my home PC for almost a decade.Linux all the way!use Windows at work, what a shockingly poor, slow, bugged out mess the system has become.[/quote]I have to use all kinds of OS''s for work, and I think Windows is no better or worse than any of them.I think Windows gets a bad wrap sometime due to older hardware rather than the OS. For example, most newer Macs for the last few years have come with Solid State Drives, which perform 10 times better than older hard drives.If you upgrade a Windows 7 machine to a SSD, you''ll see it perform just as well as an Apple OS X machine.

Thanks everyone, it seems people who upgraded from Windows 8.1 are generally happy with it, less so people who had Windows 7. As I''m on W7 I think I''ll stick for a bit longer and ask again a bit further down the line.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]I haven''t used Windows on my home PC for almost a decade.Linux all the way!use Windows at work, what a shockingly poor, slow, bugged out mess the system has become.[/quote]I have to use all kinds of OS''s for work, and I think Windows is no better or worse than any of them.I think Windows gets a bad wrap sometime due to older hardware rather than the OS. For example, most newer Macs for the last few years have come with Solid State Drives, which perform 10 times better than older hard drives.If you upgrade a Windows 7 machine to a SSD, you''ll see it perform just as well as an Apple OS X machine.[/quote]its the bloatware and the tons of software you get forced to install with every version of Windows.I prefer the freedom and full customisation of Linux.. with it being open source too there''s free alternatives of every programme out there Gimp art/photo software is just as good as Photoshop and has all the same features... why then would i fork out £500 for a programme that does exactly the same for free and is fully supported?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]I haven''t used Windows on my home PC for almost a decade.Linux all the way!use Windows at work, what a shockingly poor, slow, bugged out mess the system has become.[/quote]I have to use all kinds of OS''s for work, and I think Windows is no better or worse than any of them.I think Windows gets a bad wrap sometime due to older hardware rather than the OS. For example, most newer Macs for the last few years have come with Solid State Drives, which perform 10 times better than older hard drives.If you upgrade a Windows 7 machine to a SSD, you''ll see it perform just as well as an Apple OS X machine.[/quote]its the bloatware and the tons of software you get forced to install with every version of Windows.I prefer the freedom and full customisation of Linux.. with it being open source too there''s free alternatives of every programme out there Gimp art/photo software is just as good as Photoshop and has all the same features... why then would i fork out £500 for a programme that does exactly the same for free and is fully supported?[/quote]

I don''t get your point. GIMP runs perfectly fine on Windows, as do free copies of the various software commonly used on Linux machines. All depends if you want the expensive real deal, or the free imposter. I''m quite happy with the free versions of certain software like GIMP, but with MS Office, only the real deal works for me. I have a lot of work files created in MS Office, and the various other Office Suites are not all 100% compatible with some complex features. Bit like Swiss watches, the fake copies still tell the time and are good enough for some.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Thanks everyone, it seems people who upgraded from Windows 8.1 are generally happy with it, less so people who had Windows 7. As I''m on W7 I think I''ll stick for a bit longer and ask again a bit further down the line.[/quote]I think that''s the case Lapps. No problems here with it. Easy enough to disable anything I dislike. But then again my last laptop had Vista so anything would be better than that piece o''crap.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!I honed my computer skills with Vista (yes, a very late starter) so now every other system seems easy to use. So in that respect, it was great[:S]

Nothing wrong with Windows 10. I know it''s a bit touch-optimised so you don''t really get all the advantages when using a desktop PC but as an operating system it''s fine.
I like Linux. I run virtual machines with CentOS etc and I also have the odd Ubuntu distribution installed in places. My everyday work machine is a MacBook Pro (and i''m not a massive apple fan) but the OS again is fine once you get used to it.
Again, most open source free software available on Linux is also available for Windows so unfortunately that''s not a selling point. Also, in the professional market GIMP doesn''t have the same abilities as a fully fledged Photoshop however it is perfectly good enough for most people on a day-to-day basis.
Jumping from Windows 7 - Windows 10 will be difficult for some people - but once you get used to it you''ll be fine.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]My laptop still has vista on it 😀[/quote]Jeez, seriously?Utter pig of an operating system, I genuinely believed that it was normal to have a blue screen of death at least once a day!

Makes me laugh when people slate Windows 10 as containing "spyware" that phones home to Microsoft, analyses keystrokes, etc - this has been in Windows for years, at least since 7 and partly in XP and Vista before it. It''s only now you get the opportunity in 10 to switch these things off, so if anything, it''s an advantage to move to 10. 7 and 8/8.1 both do exactly the same telemetry gathering as 10 does by default.

As for Vista, nothing wrong with it, its only mistake was being way ahead of its time - was solid as a rock on at least 3 machines I had and never crashed, froze or BSOD''d once. Nothing wrong with the OS, but everything wrong with people trying to install it on their ancient machines and then wondering why it didn''t play ball. Go figure.