Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

Will there be a Benitez effect?

I wonder what difference Benitez will make to the team that plays us this weekend? It would have great for us if they had stuck with McClaren. They could be better organised and motivated.

Having said that at times we have played with brilliance against the top sides at home, so it should be more about what we do rather than what they do.

So far any "dead cat bounce" from the Benitez appointment has been minimal.In fact, since his appointment we''ve bounced a lot higher than they have.Lot''s of their players talking a good game and trying to put the pressure on but that won''t wash with AN.

I was actually going to start a thread on the subject of it maybe being a negative impact on them. I think there is the possibility that an expectancy might now fall on Newcastle that as Benitez is there now everything will automatically be alright...

Now certainly isn''t the time to be making huge changes to the way sides play football, it''s about tightening up the defence and scrapping out wins... Something both Newcastle and Sunderland have been failing to do. Benitez coming in doesn''t automatically make me think that Newcastle are going to do that in the same way that a Pulis for instance would either. More I think we could see them playing ''nicer'' football and dropping points. Not what you need in a relegation fight and feeling we have experienced in the past.

Ultimately it''s still the same group of players that have been so poor all season for them, and I just struggle with the idea of them having a huge turn around... They arnt a group of up and comers with a point to prove like Leicester last season. Dare I say if anyone fits that bill it''s probably us!

only issue is that Benitez has had all his players to work with whilst AN has had to put up with Mbokani/Wes/RMartin/Brady etc away on international duty and on/off plane flights and Brussels bombing.... hopefully we''ll brief them well about the opposition in the latter half of the week when he finally has the team together.

For me, Benitez was an odd appointment.While he does know the English game, as mentioned above, he doesn''t really have any experience in this position, or known for being able to sure-up a team at the back.A funny appointment for Benitez as well, in that he surely has more to lose than to gain from this job.I see his appointment as a bit of a wild card. I have no idea if there will be an impact - positive or negative.

Would have thought Benitez is more of a manager to appoint in the summer or if your sitting mid table. Not been in this position before for a relegation fight. Contary to belief his sides don''t play an exciting brand of football but he will certainly have them better organised.

Think Moyes would''ve been an excellent appointment for them, seems to be alot of talk of him interested in the villa job even in the championship and they would be silly not to get him.

Got to be honest, I''m a little nervous about Saturday.

I don''t think it can be proven that changing your manager has either a positive or negative effect. Rafa does bring prestige with him and after the international break he will have had time to knuckle down and really work with the players. - In support of my point above, I''m not sure how much effect this will really have on their players, what worries me is the mental effect it will have on our players.

We have been known to suffer greatly when faced with "mental hurdles" ie, Suarez, Aguero, teams who haven''t won for six years etc etc.

We have also performed poorly against teams around us this season (except Sunderland), and not got the results when we really needed them.

Excuse the negativity, I do actually think we will beat Palace though!

[quote user="WesHoolahansDefendant"]We have also performed poorly against teams around us this season (except Sunderland), and not got the results when we really needed them.....[/quote]Is that true though? We top the Relegation Mini-League!!!http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/5/3315723/ShowPost.aspx#3315723

Edgy about the next three games. I think all three relegation threatened teams will win games between now and the end of the season. The difference is we have to win 3, they both have to win 4. I think we can win 3. I''m not convinced either of those teams can get 4 wins.

More worried about then ternate all fixtures effect than the Benitez effect to be honest.

Brady playing two games and Cam and Mbokani half way round the world. Bloody ridiculous timing.

Hopefully we can pick up where we left off but these friendly games get on my pecks.

They looked improved against Leicester under Benitez but were pretty awful against Sunderland for 70 minutes and really should have been dead and buried in that game.

Fact is we have it in our power to stamp out a "Benitez effect" this weekend. We beat them and it knocks any new manager bounce on the head straight away. Have to be at their throats from the first minute.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Edgy about the next three games. I think all three relegation threatened teams will win games between now and the end of the season. The difference is we have to win 3, they both have to win 4. I think we can win 3. I''m not convinced either of those teams can get 4 wins.[/quote]

Surely though its crucial who beats who. We can;t really afford to let either Newcastle or Sunderland get one of their wins against us. On the other hand we beat both of them and we should be looking very good indeed for survival. Of the two its probably most important to beat Sunderland so a draw on Saturday and a win against Sunderland would not be a disaster.

If we can beat Newcastle and Palace lose at West Ham, a victory at Selhurst park will take us above them, and will drag them into the survival battle too

Is the new manager bounce a myth anyway?If you look at the 5 previous clubs to have sacked their manager during this season (Sunderland, Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool & Swansea), I think you could only argue that Chelsea & maybe Sunderland have had anything resembling a change in form or fortune.

Just posted this on another thread but applies here too:

The injury to their goalkeeper may galvanise Newcastle. I still think we could be in danger of being done over in this game. A 0-1 similar to the WBA defeat of two seasons ago. Ultimately I''m positive about it all but am being held back by a huge amount of caution.