Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Rob Elliot injured playing for Republic of Ireland tonight

Rob Elliot has been stretchered off playing for the Republic of Ireland tonight.  It looks very likely that Newcastle will be down to their 3rd choice keeper.

Of course, but this could be massive for us.  Not that I like to see a player getting injured.  Elliot has been Newcastle''s player of the season, plenty of Newcastle fans on twitter (understandably) not just devasted by this, but also think that if he is out for the rest of the season that they are definitely getting relegated.  Even though they only have 25 points, Elliot has saved them on so many occasions.

Worked in our favour this time but could have been one of ours. These friendly fixtures at the business end of the season are ridiculous.

Sad news for Elliot, don''t like to see an player being injured, but it''s excellent news for us. Their defence has taken a few knocks and suspensions for Saturday''s game, let''s hope we can capitalise on it.

Darlow has plenty of league experience and their fourth choice is an England U19 keeper who played for Crawley in League Two on loan, until he was recalled because of the injury to Krul.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Will they be allowed to bring in an emergency keeper on loan? Different rules for goalies I think?[/quote]They can apply to the league board, but they would need to only have one fit professional keeper to be likely of success

Irrelevant of the above, Darlow and Woodman are professionals and both are available so no emergency loans for Newcastle - "Point 54 of Section 6 of the Football League and Premier

League’s regulations deals with the emergency loan of goalkeepers, and

this clearly states that such provisions will only be granted should all

registered professional stoppers at a club be ruled out on medical

grounds (or due to suspensions)."

Didn''t QPR come a bit of a cropper a few seasons back under Colin, they ended up not bothering naming a sub keeper as he was too young and the league refused them an emergency loan?

Darlow will most likely start. He played for Nottingham Forest the last couple of seasons until Newcastle bought him. But the more jumbled their already jumbled back line is, the better for us. When will Redmond be back?

this is potentially huge. horrible for Elliot and I wouldn''t wish it on any team, but if it had to happen to anyone It''s better them than us.

Now for all our luck their 3rd choice will come in and play a blinder.

Bad luck for Newcastle, but good luck (if you can call it that) for the rest of us. I noticed Hoolahan was given MOTM. That''s a good sign if he''s back to his best.

Shouldn''t make much difference unless we have more shots on goal than we normally manage.

Think Butland was one game where 3 points were lost due to his saves

Not that big of a loss for them. Elliot isn''t amazing and Darlow is a more than capable deputy for him. He was very highly rated at Forest so if anything this could work in Newcastles favour.

I''m more concerned with the fact that the majority of our squad have been travelling all over the globe, participating in pointless friendlies compared to them who have all had their feet up for 2 weeks.

On a personal level I''m sorry for the lad, it''s tough on any professional to be out injured. But, we can take every little bit of luck we can get... Lord knows enough has gone against us by way of the ref, deflections etc.

It''s up to Carrow Road to put the pressure on the number 3 and make it as unpleasant as possible to help our lads!

This may galvanise them though. I still think we could be in danger of being done over in this game. A 0-1 similar to the WBA defeat of two seasons ago. Ultimately I''m positive about it all but am being held back by a huge amount of caution.

This could turn out to be a boost for us but we mustn''t get carried away by it as we will have to wait and see. Although Darlow has made only 2 appearances for Newcastle, with his only PL game a 1-0 defeat to West Brom, he has played over 100 games for Notts Forest

[quote user="Al Harrington"]Not that big of a loss for them. Elliot isn''t amazing and Darlow is a more than capable deputy for him. He was very highly rated at Forest so if anything this could work in Newcastles favour.

I''m more concerned with the fact that the majority of our squad have been travelling all over the globe, participating in pointless friendlies compared to them who have all had their feet up for 2 weeks.[/quote]

AH you were asked on another thread how you came to the conclusion Newcastle had no players on international duty. For the record 5 of their players were on International duty, read the article below.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10216878/premier-league-players-how-did-they-get-on-in-international-week

However, I do agree that this round of friendlies was ridiculously timed towards the business end of the season.