Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Wesley's contract

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]If only you''d have done that at 9.53 this morning 😉[/quote]I just kinda assumed everyone knew how to use google[;)]

Thanks for the tip me me me morty, that google thing is brill. Bit concerned though, do you run or work for google? I just typed in condescending and it was all about you.

[quote user="The gut"]Thanks for the tip me me me morty, that google thing is brill. Bit concerned though, do you run or work for google? I just typed in condescending and it was all about you.[/quote]Great stuff[Y]I just googled "tedious bellsniff" and, funnily enough, your name came up.

Great stuff to you too me me me me me morty. You''re not getting my thumb up though, despite your desire.

I do think you are lying, that''s not real. Sounds a bit like a waffy insult. Either that or you have upgraded to the mortygoogle, just like everyone else''s google but knows a bit more.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]This thread appears to encapsulate everything that is bad, and good about this forum.It''s a masterpiece![/quote]*Bows*

The ghost of Michael Theoklitos wrote the following post at 30/03/2016 9:03 PM:

"This thread appears to encapsulate everything that is bad, and good about this forum.."

Really? Care to point out the good bit?

[quote user="Vanwink"]The ghost of Michael Theoklitos wrote the following post at 30/03/2016 9:03 PM:

"This thread appears to encapsulate everything that is bad, and good about this forum.."

Really? Care to point out the good bit?[/quote]The posts where people are using browsers that still don''t support quotes.Classic Pink''un!!

Wes is with us until 30.06.17 having taken an extension back in 2014 I believe. I highly doubt we will reconsider any players contracts until the season is over now anyway. Long term Wes quite rightly pointed out his age, he can certainly no longer start every week. At best we might offer him a further year if required. I like wes and will be sad to see him go, a very special footballer. But that''s why we should plan to replace him now. Naismith is certainly a step in that direction

[quote user="AJ"]Wes is with us until 30.06.17 having taken an extension back in 2014 I believe. I highly doubt we will reconsider any players contracts until the season is over now anyway. Long term Wes quite rightly pointed out his age, he can certainly no longer start every week. At best we might offer him a further year if required. I like wes and will be sad to see him go, a very special footballer. But that''s why we should plan to replace him now. Naismith is certainly a step in that direction[/quote]

Thanks to those who have provided clarification. Would like to see him get an extra year and a testimonial. As to a replacement I would say having seen the clips of him that the Cov kid has been signed very much with that in mind and hopefully by 2017/2018 season he will be playing regularly for us.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="AJ"]Wes is with us until 30.06.17 having taken an extension back in 2014 I believe. I highly doubt we will reconsider any players contracts until the season is over now anyway. Long term Wes quite rightly pointed out his age, he can certainly no longer start every week. At best we might offer him a further year if required. I like wes and will be sad to see him go, a very special footballer. But that''s why we should plan to replace him now. Naismith is certainly a step in that direction[/quote]

Thanks to those who have provided clarification. Would like to see him get an extra year and a testimonial. As to a replacement I would say having seen the clips of him that the Cov kid has been signed very much with that in mind and hopefully by 2017/2018 season he will be playing regularly for us.[/quote]Sentimentally he deserves another year and a testimonial, I agree. But from a purely practical point of view, not so sure.

He''s definitely worth another year IMO, he does offer something completely different to most players and can turn a game with a bit of skill or a defence splitting pass. Could prove to be an asset at least off the bench in the future whatever league we find ourselves in.

As for a testimonial, well that depends on how you view his behaviour when he was wanting away. We all saw what happened at Villa. My view is that we don''t not know the full circumstances surrounding that period and balanced against the rest of his time here he deserves one, I''ll be there to support him if it happens.

Wes'' has more assists full stop & more creative passes per minute than any other player, including the much lauded Brady, redmond & howson - who have all appeared far more often - why wouldnt we offer a further contract? There is no guarantee (or signs) that anyone else can do that for us, esp when we avoid relegation.

The contract value will reflect that creativity but also the more sparing use due to age etc.

I wonder if we may go for a sneaky cash-in and try and get a few quid for him (see Grant Holt previously)?

Apples

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Wes'' has more assists full stop & more creative passes per minute than any other player, including the much lauded Brady, redmond & howson - who have all appeared far more often - why wouldnt we offer a further contract? There is no guarantee (or signs) that anyone else can do that for us, esp when we avoid relegation.

The contract value will reflect that creativity but also the more sparing use due to age etc.[/quote]I''m with you on this. I think there is still a job for Wessi to do at the club - whatever league we''re in - for the next couple of years.Those stats aside, I don''t think anyone could argue that he has been our most consistent creative player this season. Maybe bringing Naismith in was just the boot in the bum he needed to push on a little.

I would say Wes has been our most consistent creative player for the last 8 seasons.

I think he has easily got 2 more seasons in him and hopefully with us, no matter what division. At very worst I would have him on the bench. You cannot predict the future but I think he looks physically capable, he hasn''t shown signs that he is not up to the demands.

Generally I think we play better with him in the side, and more likely to score.

[quote user="The gut"]I would say Wes has been our most consistent creative player for the last 8 seasons.

I think he has easily got 2 more seasons in him and hopefully with us, no matter what division. At very worst I would have him on the bench. You cannot predict the future but I think he looks physically capable, he hasn''t shown signs that he is not up to the demands.

Generally I think we play better with him in the side, and more likely to score.[/quote]I agree with you and I don''t see the point in getting rid of him just because he is ''getting on a bit'', but signing Maddison is a clear signal that he can''t expect to be an automatic choice next season. He deserves his place in the squad irrespective of what division we''re in, but if Naismith stays and Maddison is in the squad, he will have to be at the top of his game to keep his place. No room for sentimentality, you have to pick players on form. And as you say, on current form he''s well worth his place.

Depends what his wishes are. If we go down we simply must keep hold of him. There are and still will be days when he is far too good for the championship and completely unplayable (3-1 vs forest last year...). If we stay up, i can see his role diminishing more provided at least some of our signings in summer come off well. As for whether hes worth another year after that, too early to tell but he more than deserves a testamonial.

The decision to get rid of holt wasn''t a bad one, replacing him with wolfswinkel was in hindsight incredibly damaging to us though! I fear we will struggle to replace Wes but hope that Maddison will step up to the plate. Perhaps we will phase him in and learn from our past mistakes.