Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

That Ruddy Save!

Think he deserves his own congratulatory thread. What an absolute game changing stop! His best save for us in my book, surpasses that one vs Suarez that pissed him off too much all them seasons back!

Wasn''t his finest game overall with their first goal but the big man was there when it mattered. Glad we have a confident John Ruddy back. Does wonders for the back 4.

Taking nothing away from him and I may be wrong but from where I was sitting in line at the other end the ball looked to be going just wide. In any event he wouldn''t have known so had to go for it.

I wasn''t so sure that save was going in, but better safe than sorry and he got across really well; I was pretty sure at the time that their first came off Bennett (I think it was) and the replays seemed to back that up, hence the fact it looped so much.

He''s been really good since he''s come back

Having klose there probably helps

Travelled the width of the goal and at full stretch, a smaller keeper would have no chance but yes, I think it was going wide,

The first one he should have got to though, despite the slight deflection.

But in the end it all didn''t matter.

Just a good header. Was a good goal I thought but Metrovic should never have been beating Bennett in the air I suppose.

Thought we should have been out of sight but Metrovic''s introduction swung the game in their favour. Just glad the mad Spanish waiter did not start with him.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Looked to me as if he mistimed his jump, how did you see it?[/quote]

I am a keeper and conceded similar goals to this so let me try to explain the way I saw it. I don''t think Ruddy mistimed his jump, he had no time to jump properly. He seems to have his weight on one foot, probably anticipaing to go down or sideways when he realizes that the deflected ball will arrive from above (and he''s in tourble). At this point he had two options, either to reach out for it in instantly as best as he could, albeit in an awkward position, or to adjust his position first, (probably by taking an extra step or two) and jump properly but wasting time, (while the ball could hit the net). Both choices have their risks. Ruddy took the first option (methinks rightly) hoping that even if he cannot reach the ball chances are it would sail over the bar. Only this time it didn''t. It makes the keeper look kind of silly, when a relatively slow ball finds its way above the glove, but I think he Ruddy did the best that could be done.

That''s interesting Budapest, thanks. I was just judging from what I could see but it''s usefull to insight from someone who''s played as a keeper, I''m sure the issues of preparedness and weight transfer are crucial when you have to make decisions and move so quickly.

Great link Morty. Looks to be hitting the post to me, but the ground Ruddy made up to get there is clearly evident. Great goalkeeping.

Its a great effort and certainly takes the wind from their sales - several people say it was going in, others just wide - ruddy made sure we didnt find out and from where he was standing thats good keeping.

As for the first goal Bennett has mitrovic in view but simply failed to react quickly enough, never getting goal side; his reaction is too slow, keep goal side and he almost certainly clears the danger. He tried hard to respond but that half a second meant second to the ball. That thought process is ryans down side, and the difference between a squad and prem player.

I would echo Budapests thoughts - ruddy has set himself for one header, the deflection from the unfortunate bennett changed it completely.

Hard to change direction, particularly with a frame he size of Ruddy''s. I''ve changed my mind on this and accept he probably couldn''t do much about the first one.

Looking through the images, one thing that really stuck out for me, was Naismith''s reaction at the goals/final whistle. He cares, 100%

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Looking through the images, one thing that really stuck out for me, was Naismith''s reaction at the goals/final whistle. He cares, 100%[/quote]Good Lordy, why wouldn''t Naismith care? I don''t he and the rest of the team have anything to gain via relegation [:P]

Julian - I had seen and heard rumblings about doubting Naismith (which I completely disagree with btw) and his effort, and I felt those pictures would help to refute those doubters.

It''s a great save. I think it is hitting the post - if it does it goes straight down 17''s throat . from my view in Upper Barclay it took about 3 hours to travel from the strikers head to Ruddy pushing it wide .

Great series of pics too. thanks Morty.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Julian - I had seen and heard rumblings about doubting Naismith (which I completely disagree with btw) and his effort, and I felt those pictures would help to refute those doubters.[/quote]Fair play [Y]

As you can see me in that picture, I sit pretty much in line with that post and only 3 rows up and watching it live I thought it was going in. Pictures make it seem slightly dubious but even if it were to hit the post I think it would have been the inside and probably gone in. Great save.

CC3 wrote; Which one is you Hogesar?

I reckon the one with his heart in his mouth ! they really are terrific pictures, both watching Ruddy through each of the frames and the crowd fixated with the ball, well done Paul the photographer, great work.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Which one is you Hogesar?[/quote]
I''ll give you a clue!
1) I''m one of the knobs wearing sunglasses
2) I''m 24.
3) I wish i was taller.