Sign in to follow this  
unique

The FA Cup could yet play a crucial role in Norwich's season

By a strange fate of fixture fortune, four of the six teams that Norwich have yet to play, remain in the FA Cup.

Whilst the Palace game is unaffected by it, further progress in the competition may play a part in their league form.

As long as West Ham don''t put a fly in the ointment, and assuming Watford can be single-minded enough to beat Palace, two out of Norwich''s last three games will be against FA Cup finalists.

The best case scenario would be a Watford v Everton final, Norwich''s last two Premier League fixtures.

As crucial as the next two fixtures are looking, Arsenal apart, the final three fixtures might not have fallen at a better time.

Not sure I agree. Playing teams with nothing to play for is arguably easier. So much of football is down to motivation and mental strength. I''d prefer to play a Watford team that''s ''on the beach'' rather than fighting for cup final places. Best case would be for Everton and Watford to have hard semis and come agonisingly close to reaching the final.

It could work both ways - it may be that players are fighting for a spot in the side for he final, but sides like Watford have rarely been to a Final of any description: so long as they are safe they may well be in a position where players get rested/saved, or players may not put themselves as much on the line as if something depended on it.

Think if they are there in the final it can work to our advantage. They will be on the beach for the premier league but not for the cup.

But if Sunderland have them as well, then we def need to beat Sunderland.

Last week of season we have Watford home and Everton away

Sunderland have Everton home Watford away

Same would apply for both I think therefore.

Easy answer if Leicester beat Sunderland and we beat Crystal Palace and do not lose to Sunderland we are almost safe

There is every likelihood that for the very last game of the season Norwich will be facing a 37 year-old goalkeeper, not currently deemed good enough to play first team football for an under-performing defence.

I don''t think it''s amazingly relative, although the point is certainly interesting. In my opinion teams will want to win to keep moral high - it''s easier to win a game after you''ve won the last one. Whilst a few players might be rested it''s silly to think that these games might be easier because in the Prem there are no games so these certainly won''t be any easier.

[quote user="Feel The Force"]Not sure I agree. Playing teams with nothing to play for is arguably easier. So much of football is down to motivation and mental strength. I''d prefer to play a Watford team that''s ''on the beach'' rather than fighting for cup final places. Best case would be for Everton and Watford to have hard semis and come agonisingly close to reaching the final.[/quote]

Is a hard semi not an oxymoron.....tehehe

If you''re an Everton player, you''ve reached the FA Cup Final, you''ve soaked in all the hype for the previous few weeks, you''ve been fitted and suited for Cup Final day, and you have a meaningless ( to them) game of football six days before.....

Human nature says you will be wary of 50/50 tackles or tweaking a hamstring, or even fully focuses on the league game. Advantage Norwich.

It is quite possible that the likes of Lukaku and Barkley will be left out completely. After all, an FA Cup win might help to keep Martinez in a job.

If Sunderland are in a similar fixture position, then I think Newcastle are a very strong bet to go down.