Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Kyle Lafferty

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]This season he''s had about 40 minutes on the pitch for Norwich, and scored 1 goal - against West Brom. [/quote]And he caused the WBA defender to score an OG.40 minutes and 1 goal whereas Jerome & Mbokani can''t deliver 1 goal in 4 hours.And as for AN succeeding or failing on his decisions, as things stand he is clearly failing.Sometimes in life you have to be prepared to take a risk that goes against all your preconceived perceptions

I just need "Well he can''t do no worse, can he?" to complete my bingo card.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]This season he''s had about 40 minutes on the pitch for Norwich, and scored 1 goal - against West Brom. The defence he was up against that day was James Chester, Craig Dawson, Jonas Olsson and Sebastian Pocognoil - all decent Premier League players. Was his goal that day a fluke?

I''m not saying Lafferty is a better overall striker than Jerome/Mbokani/Bamford - but the simple fact is that options A,B and C aren''t working and sometimes it might be worth trying option D.

He is surely worth consideration from the bench, yet he''s being overlooked even when no other strikers are available - that''s the point.[/quote]
Bamford has barely had a kick either and I''d rate him over Lafferty any day of the week, so why not start him from now on instead?
Barring his international goals Lafferty has hardly been a prolific striker at any club and he has a poor reputation off the pitch. Nobody here knows what goes on at Colney, maybe Neil just doesn''t rate him or maybe he demands a certain attitude from his players and Lafferty isn''t showing it. My guess is Neil doesn''t think he''s good enough and he isn''t showing enough desire to prove the manager wrong.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]This season he''s had about 40 minutes on the pitch for Norwich, and scored 1 goal - against West Brom. The defence he was up against that day was James Chester, Craig Dawson, Jonas Olsson and Sebastian Pocognoil - all decent Premier League players. Was his goal that day a fluke?

I''m not saying Lafferty is a better overall striker than Jerome/Mbokani/Bamford - but the simple fact is that options A,B and C aren''t working and sometimes it might be worth trying option D.

He is surely worth consideration from the bench, yet he''s being overlooked even when no other strikers are available - that''s the point.[/quote]The one goal you have to base your entire argument on is an 85min break away goal in a cup game when the away team is chasing a goal.The defence he was against that day was irrelevant. He did finish well, but he hardly had to break down a defence to get his chance. All he had to do was outrun Jonas Olson - which I think even I could do.Chalk and cheese from the tight chances we''ve seen the last 2 games.

If he wants into the 1st team then his laziness and attitude on Friday night wouldn''t have helped his case any. He was bordering on useless against a youth team he should have been able to tear apart because they weren''t exactly setting the world on fire. Spending large chunks of a game on the touchline argueing with linesmen and then playing stares with them the rest of the game was just childish.

[quote user="Peanuts"][quote user="Jim Moriarty"]This season he''s had about 40 minutes on the pitch for Norwich, and scored 1 goal - against West Brom. The defence he was up against that day was James Chester, Craig Dawson, Jonas Olsson and Sebastian Pocognoil - all decent Premier League players. Was his goal that day a fluke?

He is surely worth consideration from the bench, yet he''s being overlooked even when no other strikers are available - that''s the point.[/quote]
Bamford has barely had a kick either and I''d rate him over Lafferty any day of the week, so why not start him from now on instead?
Barring his international goals Lafferty has hardly been a prolific striker at any club and he has a poor reputation off the pitch. Nobody here knows what goes on at Colney, maybe Neil just doesn''t rate him or maybe he demands a certain attitude from his players and Lafferty isn''t showing it. My guess is Neil doesn''t think he''s good enough and he isn''t showing enough desire to prove the manager wrong.
[/quote]

Peanuts - I totally agree with you on that one. Based upon his half hour performance at Swansea, Bamford has to be given a chance to show what he can do. Far from the finished article, but was creating space and chances with his clever movement and offering a lot more than Jerome did in his hour.

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]If he wants into the 1st team then his laziness and attitude on Friday night wouldn''t have helped his case any. He was bordering on useless against a youth team he should have been able to tear apart because they weren''t exactly setting the world on fire. Spending large chunks of a game on the touchline argueing with linesmen and then playing stares with them the rest of the game was just childish.[/quote]Reminds me so much of a time when I watched Becchio come on for the U21''s and I thought to myself "Right Luciano, heres your chance to prove us all wrong and show the manager that you have the fight and desire to be picked for the first team."And he just didn''t.I think, despite Lafferty''s protestations about wanting first team football, he is quite enjoying picking up Premiership wages for nowt.

If Kei Kamara was still here, would he be the solution? Becchio? Elmander? (Playing as they were when they were in the squad).

Any one of those might score a goal. Who knows, they might score a hat-trick first time out.

Is it worth the gamble? Or sticking with players who create chances but fluff their lines, don''t get chances or aren''t quite the finished article?

God knows. The manager sees them every day, so I''ll stick with his assessment over mine - or anyone else''s.

It was a breakaway goal so it doesn''t count and the defence is irrelevant so it definitely doesn''t count, just like his European goals, I bet they don''t count either?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]It was a breakaway goal so it doesn''t count and the defence is irrelevant so it definitely doesn''t count, just like his European goals, I bet they don''t count either?[/quote]What about his one league goal in eleven starts + 8 sub appearances. Does that goal count too?

"I think, despite Lafferty''s protestations about wanting first team football, he is quite enjoying picking up Premiership wages for nowt."

Still not running him down I see. You have no idea if that is the case at all.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]"I think, despite Lafferty''s protestations about wanting first team football, he is quite enjoying picking up Premiership wages for nowt."

Still not running him down I see. You have no idea if that is the case at all.[/quote]His loan move out was scuppered over his wages.If he really wanted the football he would have taken a cut.

How big a wage cut was it then?

I remember AN saying that we weren''t prepared to loan him to Leeds but wanted a sale instead.

For the record I don''t see him as the answer and would certainly be considering Bamford as the next best option to try.

[quote user="George Santayana"]If Lafferty was at another club and we looked at his career and stats we would never look st getting him in and this board would be awash with posters moaning that he''d be a useless signing.[/quote]Clearly you have looked at his career stats then GSDarlington - 1 goal in every 3 games (or part thereof)Burnley - 1 goal in every 8 gamesRangers - 1 goal in every 3 gamesSion - 1 goal in every 5 gamesPalermo - 1 goal in every 3 gamesNorthern Ireland - 1 goal in every 3 gamesNorwich - 1 goal in 18 gamesNot too shabby are they

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="George Santayana"]If Lafferty was at another club and we looked at his career and stats we would never look st getting him in and this board would be awash with posters moaning that he''d be a useless signing.[/quote]Clearly you have looked at his career stats then GSDarlington - 1 goal in every 3 games (or part thereof)Burnley - 1 goal in every 8 gamesRangers - 1 goal in every 3 gamesSion - 1 goal in every 5 gamesPalermo - 1 goal in every 3 gamesNorthern Ireland - 1 goal in every 3 gamesNorwich - 1 goal in 18 gamesNot too shabby are they[/quote]So the stats bear out that he is below Championship level.

As we know to our cost, a striker''s PL record is the only one to make a judgment on with any degree of certainty.

Irrespective of whether he is or isn''t good enough to do a job for us, the second part of the question, and IMO equally important, is why did AN insist he wanted him to stay even though he clearly has no intention of playing him???

[quote user="George Santayana"]Sorry, I must have missed your tenure as England manager[/quote]Surely you must have seen me with the umbrella?

[quote user="ron obvious"]As we know to our cost, a striker''s PL record is the only one to make a judgment on with any degree of certainty.[/quote]

The trouble is he hasnt got any sort of record at tis level good or bad. Personally I''d be surprised if he could cut it at this level but seeing as we currently stink upfront, it''s hard to argue against him being given a chance. I think in his favour he is an awkward player who could be different to what most players at this level come up against.

To put it another way, what have we got to lose?

Mbokani and Jerome have had more than enough time to stake their claim at this level. FACT-They''ve failed.

Irrespective of what Laffs has done in Champs, U21''s or international, our front two have been extremely poor!

SO what would fans prefer. We keep playing them and fail to score for next 10 games. OR at least try Laffs, and most likely Bamford.

AN is comfortable chopping and changing his defense. We desperately need a change up front. IT''s that old fable, IF don''t score, you''ve got no chance of winning. IMO we need to change something up front. Quite seriously, we can''t be any worse with Laffs up front. Just possibly a change might What have we got to lose. Oh yes quite a lot

[quote user="ron obvious"]In a lot of cases, yes. It rather depends on whether it''s the Faroe Islands or Germany ...[/quote]

Or Villa or Man C. Our "best two" strikers couldn''t hit a barn door against the worst teams in the division. What''s the evidence to stick with them!

Lafferty is indeed the Neil enigma. Much like Becchio was Hughton and Adam''s striker-that-never-played. Obviously Neil doesn''t see too much in him. And you have to respect that opinion even if you disagree. A 15 minute cameo might be interesting but I''m not expecting to see much more of him. Just hoping next that Bamford starts (in no.10 role). Ideally off either Jerome or Mbokani.

[quote user="sonyc"]Lafferty is indeed the Neil enigma. Much like Becchio was Hughton and Adam''s striker-that-never-played. Obviously Neil doesn''t see too much in him. And you have to respect that opinion even if you disagree. A 15 minute cameo might be interesting but I''m not expecting to see much more of him. Just hoping next that Bamford starts (in no.10 role). Ideally off either Jerome or Mbokani.[/quote][Y]I liked the look of Bamford when he came on the other day, but really don''t think we could play him on his own up front.Course this means dropping Wes...

Agree with that Morty. Worth dropping Wes for some. Would like to it being tried out

[quote user="sonyc"]Agree with that Morty. Worth dropping Wes for some. Would like to it being tried out[/quote]Its a tricky one. I believe the reason we don''t play 4-4-2 more often is because we aren''t strong enough in central midfield. My only worry with Bamford in a ten is that it denies him time in the box, where he looked at his most dangerous the other day. Wes''s slight failing in the position is not supporting the lone striker as much as he maybe should, which is one of the reasons we don''t score enough.It would work best with Jerome, because of his energy and his tracking back, because he will need to, to defend against a quick turnaround, and us getting over run in midfield.But its a risk that we are going to have to take, we need wins.