Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Kyle Lafferty

Lafferty is not good enough a striker to lead the line in a premier league team imo.  His heading ability is not good enough and he could only imo justify a place in the team playing on the left hand side, where he has spent much of his career.  I would love him to prove me wrong, but it doesn''t look as if he is going to be given the chance.  We have plenty of options on the left and up front, all of whom are better at what they do than he can offer.  That is the reason imo he hasn''t been given more chances.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]So, is it easier to score at international level than Premier League level?[/quote]95% of the time - Yes.There is probably only 10 to 15 teams in international football that would do a job in the Premier League. And Northern Ireland didn''t have any of them in their Euro 2016 qualifying group.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="George Santayana"]If Lafferty was at another club and we looked at his career and stats we would never look st getting him in and this board would be awash with posters moaning that he''d be a useless signing.[/quote]Clearly you have looked at his career stats then GSDarlington - 1 goal in every 3 games (or part thereof)Burnley - 1 goal in every 8 gamesRangers - 1 goal in every 3 gamesSion - 1 goal in every 5 gamesPalermo - 1 goal in every 3 gamesNorthern Ireland - 1 goal in every 3 gamesNorwich - 1 goal in 18 gamesNot too shabby are they[/quote]So, whenever he''s played in a decent league in England, he''s failed. Yet you think he''s the answer in a Premier League relegation scrap?Stats are funny things. They can help prove or disprove anything depending on how you look at them....

All our other strikers haven''the exactly been scoring too many, so why not give Laffs a go.

But then again the ''Mighty Morty '' has informed us why this will not happen.

[quote user="Les"]All our other strikers haven''the exactly been scoring too many, so why not give Laffs a go.

But then again the ''Mighty Morty '' has informed us why this will not happen.[/quote]Yay, another one to follow me round the forum, tripping over his bottom lip[:D]

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]Irrespective of whether he is or isn''t good enough to do a job for us, the second part of the question, and IMO equally important, is why did AN insist he wanted him to stay even though he clearly has no intention of playing him???[/quote]

In the transfer window AN made it very clear Lafferty was up for sale, but that he wanted to sell, not loan him out.  That''s a bit different.

Morty, I agree that Bamford, nor Laffs could lead the line as a single striker.

Therein lies our problem, as that''s what we''ve played all season to little effect (looking at goals scored)

That enigma has already played out in Hoops. Not a lone striker and played best+scored goals when playing with a partner striker, but AN wouldn''t abandon his style, and Hoops has gone.

Yes Jerome scored and played well in Champs, but clearly can''t do it at this level in a lone role. Nor can Mbokani. It''s the biggest worry that AN may again stick to his guns and play with one up front remainder of this season, and that is looking like it could be our downfall. I really hope Bamford gets a lead role now.

The downside of 4-4-2, which I''m in favour of, is that I just don''t think our midfield is strong enough, even before Tettey got injured!

[quote user="Samwam27"]Morty, I agree that Bamford, nor Laffs could lead the line as a single striker.

Therein lies our problem, as that''s what we''ve played all season to little effect (looking at goals scored)

That enigma has already played out in Hoops. Not a lone striker and played best+scored goals when playing with a partner striker, but AN wouldn''t abandon his style, and Hoops has gone.

Yes Jerome scored and played well in Champs, but clearly can''t do it at this level in a lone role. Nor can Mbokani. It''s the biggest worry that AN may again stick to his guns and play with one up front remainder of this season, and that is looking like it could be our downfall. I really hope Bamford gets a lead role now.

The downside of 4-4-2, which I''m in favour of, is that I just don''t think our midfield is strong enough, even before Tettey got injured![/quote]The crux of the single striker working though is support and goals from midfield, and especially the number ten.We haven''t done that nearly enough.

The ''lone striker role'' demands a player that has it all, or at least most of it. We dont have one of them.

Bamford looks as if he''s ahead of laffs in ANs plans, so , if mbok and Jer arent up to it then its time to play Bamford, but who alongside him?....no one, kind of.

The one System, and i''m not a great lover of systems, other than every player being able to cover every position, ie ''total'' football , that could work for us is the 4-5-1/ 4-3-3, with Bamford central, Brady left, and Redders/Jarvis/vadis on the right. if the ball is on the left, then Redmond gets close to Bamford, if its on the right then Brady is moving infield. If Bamford has to drop deep, then he has two willing runners left and right.

Sorry Laffs, you''re not in the plan.

Morty, why oh why are you so dismissive of everyone''s posts who don''t agree with you .... oh wait you''re a twat

[quote user="firedawg"]Morty, why oh why are you so dismissive of everyone''s posts who don''t agree with you .... oh wait you''re a twat[/quote]I love how tits like you follow me round here, it does make me chuckle[:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="firedawg"]Morty, why oh why are you so dismissive of everyone''s posts who don''t agree with you .... oh wait you''re a twat[/quote]I love how tits like you follow me round here, it does make me chuckle[:D][/quote]They dont follow you around people comment on your posts because you come across as an arrogant know it all who is so far up his own backside that its a wonder you have not disappeared . Tonight you are the resident know it all on Kyle Lafferty  when in truth you probably know jack shit . For me i would stick a cardboard cutout in in the box rather than play Jerome who when it comes to doing what hes supposed to do which is put the ball in the net he is worse than useless and i very much doubt Kyle Lafferty could be any worse and probably a whole lot better .

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="morty"][quote user="firedawg"]Morty, why oh why are you so dismissive of everyone''s posts who don''t agree with you .... oh wait you''re a twat[/quote]I love how tits like you follow me round here, it does make me chuckle[:D][/quote]They dont follow you around people comment on your posts because you come across as an arrogant know it all who is so far up his own backside that its a wonder you have not disappeared . Tonight you are the resident know it all on Kyle Lafferty  when in truth you probably know jack shit . For me i would stick a cardboard cutout in in the box rather than play Jerome who when it comes to doing what hes supposed to do which is put the ball in the net he is worse than useless and i very much doubt Kyle Lafferty could be any worse and probably a whole lot better .[/quote]Great stuff fella, I reckon you''re an actual Premiership manager, who is just masquerading as a random bell on a football forum.

[quote user="CanaryOne"] For me i would stick a cardboard cutout in in the box rather than play Jerome who when it comes to doing what hes supposed to do which is put the ball in the net he is worse than useless and i very much doubt Kyle Lafferty could be any worse and probably a whole lot better .[/quote]Which is an interesting observation when you consider the guy who ''couldn''t do any worse'' than Jerome scored 15 less league goals than him last season, across 2 teams.I always combat the ''he couldn''t do any worse'' argument with this....... ''Yes he could''.

Alex Neil is way to arrogant and set in his ways to budge on this one. It''s his way or no way. Lafferty would have been our top goalscorer by now had he had a run. Currently our top goalscorer is Redmond with 5 which is a joke!

[quote user="Mooney"]Alex Neil is way to arrogant and set in his ways to budge on this one. It''s his way or no way. Lafferty would have been our top goalscorer by now had he had a run. Currently our top goalscorer is Redmond with 5 which is a joke![/quote]
[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2d/64/8b/2d648b84c6ffdde345a6a435a01adda8.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]So, is it easier to score at international level than Premier League level?[/quote]95% of the time - Yes.There is probably only 10 to 15 teams in international football that would do a job in the Premier League. And Northern Ireland didn''t have any of them in their Euro 2016 qualifying group.[/quote]

So would you say in general that strikers have a better goals per game ratio at international level than Premier League level?

hogesar just be gone you air thief.

Kyle Lafferty is a proven goalscorer when he plays as a number 9. He''s dangerous unlike Jerome who is a total donkey.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]So, is it easier to score at international level than Premier League level?[/quote]95% of the time - Yes.There is probably only 10 to 15 teams in international football that would do a job in the Premier League. And Northern Ireland didn''t have any of them in their Euro 2016 qualifying group.[/quote]

So would you say in general that strikers have a better goals per game ratio at international level than Premier League level?[/quote]I don''t think that''s a yes or no question. There are lots of variables. Not all goal ratios are created equal.Let''s take Aguero. He plays for Argentina in the South American confederation. It''s a lot tougher playing qualifiers against the likes of Brazil & Paraguay than any of the teams Northern Ireland had in their Euro group. He also plays with a guy called Messi, who is also going to take a few goals away from him in that team.On the other hand you have someone like Zlatan, who is the only world class player for Sweden, and plays in Europe where he frequently plays against maybe one or 2 good teams, and a lot of mediocrity or worse - i.e. the same as Northern Ireland.Same goes for Wayne Rooney, who averages almost 1 in 2 for England - Yet has never been prolific at a major tournament.And to again raise a point previous in the thread - Chris Killen has an international goal ratio of 1 in 3!So to answer your question - it completely depends who you play for, who you play with, and who you play against.

Any fool can see that Lafferty is far too valuable in his role as chief warmer-upper to be risked on the field of play.

Apples

[quote user="Mooney"]hogesar just be gone you air thief.

Kyle Lafferty is a proven goalscorer when he plays as a number 9. He''s dangerous unlike Jerome who is a total donkey.[/quote]
I literally don''t have the words. But i''ll muster up the effort (fyi, I sighed so in terms of stealing air i''m doing the best I can)....
So if Kyle Lafferty is such a proven goalscorer as a number 9, I have a couple questions..
1) Why wouldn''t Alex Neil play him ahead of all these ''donkeys''?
2) Why wouldn''t Neil Adams play him ahead of all these ''donkeys''?
3) Why in his last 40 club games has he only scored 3 goals?
4) Why weren''t any other Prem teams, or at the very least, teams better than Leeds, interested in getting him in January?
5) Why weren''t Leeds, the only team interested in him, willing to pay his wages in full?
6) If Jerome is a total donkey but scored 18 goals last season, what does that make Lafferty baring in mind when he played for Burnley he only scored 10 goals in 83 appearances over 3 years?
Turns out it was a more than a couple Mooney, which indicates i''m more right than I thought I was and you''re even more stupid than I thought imaginable.

He was played as a winger at Burnley

He was played as a winger at Rangers

He was played as a winger at Norwich

It''s almost as though no manager has ever rated him a central striker.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Lafferty was played as a winger at Burnley.[/quote]
Hmm...so they obviously thought he wasn''t good enough as a number 9 either.

[quote user="George Santayana"]He was played as a winger at Burnley

It''s almost as though no manager has ever rated him a central striker.[/quote]
[:D]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="George Santayana"]He was played as a winger at Burnley

It''s almost as though no manager has ever rated him a central striker.[/quote]
[:D]
[/quote] And yet the only time he plays in a central striking role is for N Ireland, and he scores!

It''s not whether Laffs is good enough (how will we ever know if he''s never played!) but its a matter of fact that Mbokani & Jerome HAVE proved they''re not good enough. In almost 30 games they''ve failed to score. We have 10 games left to save our season. Evidence suggests we''re down if we stick with these two. Redmond is our top striker and look at how poor his season has been!

But Jerome and Mbokani are better than Lafferty. That''s why they play and Lafferty doesn''t.

By absolutely no stretch of the imagination is Kyle Lafferty a proven goal scorer. He''s only twice scored more than 10 goals in a season and those were both in poor leagues. You can claim as much as you want about him being played on the left but firstly I doubt you watched a huge amount of Burnley or Rangers between 2005-12 to say how often he played in which position and if he is consistently played as a left winger by a string of different managers then maybe he''s a left winger.

His international record is impressive but includes goals against the Faroe Islands (3) Finland (3) Georgia (2) and San Marino. You can only beat what is in front of you but those are hardly high quality teams.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Lafferty was played as a winger at Burnley.[/quote]
Hmm...so they obviously thought he wasn''t good enough as a number 9 either.
[/quote]

Therefore it''s pointless comparing his historical goal scoring stats with those of Jerome.