Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Mbokani and Congo

I saw the story yesterday that Mbokani did not want to play international football anymore after the way he was treated after Belgium airport.

Someone I know ( who often gets the wrong end of the stick ) has just told me that Sky Sports are reporting Mbokani was disrespectful to the Congo FA and are looking for FIFA to have sanctions against him.

Is this true does anyone know ? and if it is are they looking for him to be banned from 2 of our games ( ie he missed 2 of theirs )

Hope this is tosh.

I didn''t think you could be banned from domestic matches for something like that, more like a fine or they drop him from the international squad for a few games. Given he''s announced his retirement from international football I doubt he cares much anyway.
The quotes I read were from the Congo FA president who is also a FIFA exec member saying they were considering sanctions against him because he missed the games, so maybe that''s where the story has come from. I took that to mean a punishment by the Congo FA so a fine or suspension from their squad and nothing to do with us here.
There''s also a quote from the same guy saying Mbokani can''t just retire from international football and it''s up to the selectors whether they pick him or not which just sounds like face saving bollocks as presumably they can''t actually force him to play if he doesn''t want to.
Given that the Congo president is also a member of the FIFA executive committee I''d have thought he''d be too busy shredding right now to worry about Mbokani.

It''s Mbokani''s choice if he wants to play, FIFA can''t impose a 2 match domestic ban simply because he didn''t want to play for his country.

Does anyone know how long it would take him to qualify for England? I mean, if Vardy is good enough!

"Mbokani''s having a party, you can f*** off Jamie Vardy"

[quote user="STAN"]It''s Mbokani''s choice if he wants to play, FIFA can''t impose a 2 match domestic ban simply because he didn''t want to play for his country.[/quote]I think the only way they can impose a ban is if they suspect that he has been put up to it by his club.

And considering what he went through and the reasons for his withdrawal I can see no chance of any of this happening. The Congo FA have created a PR nightmare for themselves and pushed out one of their best players.... Saving face now to their nation.

He asked for a few days with his family after the events and supposedly Congo never responded to him so he didn''t turn up. Can hardly see how he could be punished for it! Clearly from what AN said about it we looked after him a lot better than they did!

Obviously better for us if he doesn''t play for them anymore, particularly if we sign him as I hope we will next season, I suspect though that it will all get resolved, misunderstanding etc.etc. and he will end up playing for them again.

Mbokani''s closing comments from the BBC website:

"I''m still a bit traumatised by what happened but Norwich have been really helpful, so have my team-mates - they have really helped during a difficult time. So for the time being I feel fine."

Guardian sympathies seem to lie with Dieumerci:

1) Can in-form Canaries wreak further havoc?

A third consecutive win for Norwich City would draw Alex Neil’s side level on points with Saturday’s opponents Crystal Palace, albeit with a significantly inferior goal difference and having played one game more. It would also do little to dispel ongoing relegation-related jitters around a south-London club that famously haven’t won a single one of their past 14 Premier League games. Norwich’s victory against Newcastle last weekend helped ratchet up the pressure on Sunderland and Palace, as well as Rafael Benítez’s vanquished team, and with Sunderland due to visit East Anglia next weekend, the in-form Canaries have every chance of giving themselves some wriggle-room ahead of a daunting trip to Arsenal. Having scored last weekend, Norwich striker Dieumerci Mbokani showed no ill-effects following the trauma of his genuinely close brush with death at Brussels airport during the international break and the Congolese striker will be even more eager to show his compatriots what they’ll be missing in the wake of an understandable self-imposed retirement prompted by his furious reaction to the incredibly crass and insensitive midweek comments of Constant Omari, the head of Congo’s FA. Barry Glendenning