Sign in to follow this  
morty

New head of football recruitment.

Indeed, the difference Klose has made brings into yet sharper relief the failure of last summer. Let''s hope notwithstanding that failure we manage to scramble over the line.

Not sure about the effectiveness of the ''NCFC Old Boys'' network. I guess he''ll have the best intentions for the club, but what''s his track record as a scout like?

Norfolk Mustard wrote the following post at 08/04/2016 5:48 PM:

Not sure about the effectiveness of the ''NCFC Old Boys'' network. I guess he''ll have the best intentions for the club, but what''s his track record as a scout like?

Indeed, the skills of the recruiter of the recruiter, important.👍

[quote user="Vanwink"]Hopefully now we won''t repeat the mistakes of last summer, good news.[/quote]Mistake singular, surely?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Not sure about the effectiveness of the ''NCFC Old Boys'' network. I guess he''ll have the best intentions for the club, but what''s his track record as a scout like?[/quote]Over 10 years experience scounting, an excellent appointment.

Wba head of europe scouting so has many contacts as wba used to use local scouts in every league then reporting to scouts higher up so in effect we can now watch most games in any league with people tont spearing knows / trusts

Norwich have often asked spearing about targets before now

also if anyone can see the post i told you about the wolf not being up to premiership standard before we signed him came from you can guess the rest !!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Indeed, the difference Klose has made brings into yet sharper relief the failure of last summer. Let''s hope notwithstanding that failure we manage to scramble over the line.[/quote]
[8]Always look on the bright side of life....[8]

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Vanwink"]Hopefully now we won''t repeat the mistakes of last summer, good news.[/quote]Mistake singular, surely?[/quote]And it seems clear that one mistake (not getting a central defender) was not caused by any scouting failure to identify targets. It was the result of a strategic decision at a higher level to go for a really top-quality acquisition (probably Koulbaly at Napoli), with the attendant risk that we might at the last moment fail to land the player, and so be left with no-one, as happened.

It all worked out for the best I suppose, we''re in a great position to stay up and for 7 odd million I think it''s impossible to do better than Klose, we can always go back in for Koulibaly in the summer with us being slightly more established. Koulibaly and Klose at that back would be pretty immense, we could really attack games knowing our back line was so secure.

Thankfully last summer''s failure doesn''t look to have cost us too badly. If this guy can find us just a couple more quality signings for 5-10 million each we could be laughing next year

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="Vanwink"]Hopefully now we won''t repeat the mistakes of last summer, good news.[/quote]Mistake singular, surely?[/quote]And it seems clear that one mistake (not getting a central defender) was not caused by any scouting failure to identify targets. It was the result of a strategic decision at a higher level to go for a really top-quality acquisition (probably Koulbaly at Napoli), with the attendant risk that we might at the last moment fail to land the player, and so be left with no-one, as happened.[/quote][Y]The summer transfer wasn''t the disaster/fiasco that some like to paint it. Most agree that our defence wasn''t strengthened properly, but what do you do? Wait for the high quality player, which as you say is high risk, or just sign a couple and hope they turn out alright?!

Herman wrote the following post at 08/04/2016 9:49 PM:

PurpleCanary wrote:

Herman wrote:

Vanwink wrote:

Hopefully now we won''t repeat the mistakes of last summer, good news.

Mistake singular, surely?

And it seems clear that one mistake (not getting a central defender) was not caused by any scouting failure to identify targets. It was the result of a strategic decision at a higher level to go for a really top-quality acquisition (probably Koulbaly at Napoli), with the attendant risk that we might at the last moment fail to land the player, and so be left with no-one, as happened.

Yes [Y]

The summer transfer wasn''t the disaster/fiasco that some like to paint it. Most agree that our defence wasn''t strengthened properly, but what do you do? Wait for the high quality player, which as you say is high risk, or just sign a couple and hope they turn out alright?!

The summer window was a fiasco, let''s not try to rewrite history. The fact that we seem to be getting our house in order nice and early now is a very positive sign and an indication that we have learned from the experience.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Herman wrote the following post at 08/04/2016 9:49 PM:

PurpleCanary wrote:

Herman wrote:

Vanwink wrote:

Hopefully now we won''t repeat the mistakes of last summer, good news.

Mistake singular, surely?

And it seems clear that one mistake (not getting a central defender) was not caused by any scouting failure to identify targets. It was the result of a strategic decision at a higher level to go for a really top-quality acquisition (probably Koulbaly at Napoli), with the attendant risk that we might at the last moment fail to land the player, and so be left with no-one, as happened.

Yes [Y]

The summer transfer wasn''t the disaster/fiasco that some like to paint it. Most agree that our defence wasn''t strengthened properly, but what do you do? Wait for the high quality player, which as you say is high risk, or just sign a couple and hope they turn out alright?!

The summer window was a fiasco, let''s not try to rewrite history. The fact that we seem to be getting our house in order nice and early now is a very positive sign and an indication that we have learned from the experience.[/quote]The only rewriting of history has come from posters who have used the net permanent transfer spend in the summer as a rigid indicator of how successful or otherwise the window had been, without factoring in getting three players - Mulumbu, Jarvis and Mbokani - who in that sense cost us nothing.A window that strengthened defence with Wisdom and to an extent Brady, boosted midfield with Mulumbu and Dorrans, gave us extra options out wide (until then we only had Redmond) in Jarvis and Brady, and brought in a goalscorer in Mbokani is only a fiasco in the minds of those with unrealistic expectations of the kind of player we can attract and afford.The failure to get a central defender was a bad mistake, effectively admitted as such by McNally and by the signing of Klose this winter, and should have been avoided. But that doesn''t turn a window that otherwise improved defence, midfield and attack into a disaster.

Failing to have a proper recruitment team in place for a summer window, prior to moving into the premier league is a fiasco as far as I am concerned.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Failing to have a proper recruitment team in place for a summer window, prior to moving into the premier league is a fiasco as far as I am concerned.[/quote]But there is no evidence that had a serious effect on recruitment. We got Dorrans in very early, and most of the other signings were in place in time for the start of the season. And the one failure - to sign a central defender - was not because we couldn''t identify a target. It was seemingly that we took the high-risk decision to try to attract someone who might not be let go by his club.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Indeed, the difference Klose has made brings into yet sharper relief the failure of last summer. Let''s hope notwithstanding that failure we manage to scramble over the line.[/quote]
[/quote]Well I for one am just glad Highland has finally got back to civilisation and an internet connection. After the euphoria here over the draw with Man City he quite rightly cautioned that we should wait to see if that kind of performance was replicated at West Brom. His silence that followed that win and beating Newcastle had me worried he had been captured by headhunters up the Amazon - again!

I think I have in the past posted the link to the AN interview where he talks about about us being ill prepared for the summer window.

Hard to see how that will have anything other than a negative impact on our recruitment in a highly competitive time limited market.

I think it it was as poor summer window. We got in some extra depth, but not the signings we all knew we needed at the time.

Not using as a stick to beat the club with, you can''t always get what you want etc.

Have to say I agree 100% with Purple. Particularly regarding the missing Highland, I was worried for the little fella!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Indeed, the difference Klose has made brings into yet sharper relief the failure of last summer. Let''s hope notwithstanding that failure we manage to scramble over the line.[/quote]
[/quote]His silence that followed that win and beating Newcastle had me worried he had been captured by headhunters up the Amazon - again![/quote]Would they be one of the same Amazonian tribes that even acknowledge the failure to get in quality defenders last summer? [;)]

Let''s hope Tony and the board manage to turn things around. The further you get behind, the harder it becomes to catch up, so a mammoth task awaits.

The summer window was a fiasco. Not just the lack of money spent or the lack of defensive reinforcement but our seemingly scattergun approach to identifying and bidding for targets. Our sudden desperation to sign Afobe two days before the end of the window is a clear case in point.

You can talk about how we aimed high in our targets but didn''t succeed but we should have had back ups in place, plan B''s for if these over ambitious targets fell though.

We can also look at the fact that of the five signings made in the summer (Dorrans, Mulumbu, Mbokani, Brady, Wisdom) only one of them has made more than 15 starts for us, suggesting we didn''t exactly find the quality of players needed.

[quote user="hogesar"]Have to say I agree 100% with Purple. Particularly regarding the missing Highland, I was worried for the little fella![/quote]I just have this heart-rending picture of Highland being stuck somewhere in the middle of the Matto Grosso desperate to post on how delighted he is by our two wins and suddenly is unable to get a signal...

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Somewhat closer to London Bridge at the mo...[/quote]Are you preparing to jump off it if we win today? [:O]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Somewhat closer to London Bridge at the mo...[/quote]Are you preparing to jump off it if we win today? [:O][/quote]He will have to push a few other posters out of the way to get a prime spot on the ledge. [:P]