Sign in to follow this  
daly

Bamford?????

Did not look one bit interested, would have thought Wes would have been a better change.

Didn''t see the match today but the notion that Bamford just turned up is ridiculous. Lets face facts - the lad struggles at Selhurst Park.

Yet last time he played the threads comments were he was awsome.

Likewise the first threads on here when he signed likened Klose to the Doc.

Last week Wes came on and we nearly lost the game as he did not do well.

If only we had a manager with the gift of hindsight

I was not commenting previous games the post was referring to today

Dont think it was that he didnt care, it looked like the crowd got the better of him. Palaces defence were 1st to everything today. Was v similar to the wba match. Another day, that souare has a stinker and we win 2-0.

Didn''t get to see the game today but would be interested to know from someone that did how he played. From the commentary it sounded as if he was poor, Rusties remarks were particularly critical, along the lines of " he has an arrogance about his play which he has done nothing to earn and which he seems unable to actually carry off"

I''ve been a fan but today it sounded as if he let himself down, maybe AN thought the sick he was getting from the crowd would inspire him, it appears it did the reverse.

I was at the game an I have to say that I was particularly unimpressed.

His previous games were OK. Vs Man City, he had a spectacular shot on goal, with some good movement and touches, however I thought he was beaten to the ball a little too often. I then saw him vs West Brom and, again, did OK. Really nothing spectacular at all - a few decent flashes but didn''t set the world alight.

Today, I don''t mean to be too critical, but he really let us down. The Palace fans really seem to dislike him... Did it play a part in his poor performance? I doubt it. Anyone who is in his position would show desire, urgency and maybe even desperation to prove everyone at his former club that he is capable of doing what he wasn''t given the opportunity to do there.

But, as mentioned, he seems to flounder around as though he doesn''t need to try - like he has already earnt his stripes at Chelsea/Middlesbrough.

As soon a he came on, he had a couple of poor touches (of which got jeered hugely by the Palace fans) and gave away a throw. They scored from that throw-in.

Subsequent incidences occurred that result in him making a complete hash of it - notably when, given the ball just outside the 6 yard area with the defence/keeper in a panic, he inexplicably, instead of shooting, kinda chips it to his right - where a palace defender hoofs it away.

It was so bad. I actually thought at one point that someone from Palace had paid him to be awful today. Whenever I passed fellow City fans out of the ground, there were mumbles of Bamford being rubbish.

I hope he goes on and scores a few for us - and even for Chelsea/England in the future - but he was awful today.

Even before the sub was made, I would have preferred Hoolahan to come on today. Mbokani didn''t really manage to win anything in the air today and I felt that a different strategy could have been beneficial today.

Looked like a rabbit in the headlights, made very little difference to the game, shanked a shot so badly was immediately branded "Agent Bamford" by me and my son.

I can see why Alex Neil put him on, the old" You go show em what they could have had son" but, in hindsight, it would have been far better bringing Jerome on.

I was there today, and his touch had deserted him, yellow and green got it spot on, imo, the crowd seemed to effect him, and why he didn''t shoot when their keeper made a has of things, and the ball dropped to him on the penalty spot i will never know,

Palace didn''t look that good, but defensively they were too strong for us, maybe Jerome would have been a better bet the way the game was going ?.

That''s pretty much how it came across on the radio Yellow, sounds very much like the occasion was too much for him.

I suppose from AN point of view you never know how a player will react to this sort of pressure till he experiences it. If Bamford had gone out and stuck it to the Palace fans he would now be a hero. 👍

I can only think some of our fan''s high expectations were based solely on his reputation - & a lot of hope.

I''ve seen nothing from him to suggest he has the necessary mental or physical toughness to succeed in the PL.

I could mention a certain other player he reminds me of (both very nice young men). But I won''t.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]My mate who went today feels that the game had 0-0 written all over it until the change that saw Bamford brought on.......[/quote]I felt the game changed when Zaha came on.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Agree, Palace looked toothless until Zaha came on, by far their best / most creative player.[/quote]Blistering pace. I thought he would have done better at Man U. Too good for Palace.

Whilst not as good as Zaha, I thought Redmond made a difference today.

He provided fresh energy and was a threat down the right as soon as he came on - something we lacked before he come on.

Ultimately, he didn''t create that crucial chance/goal, but he did his best today.

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]Whilst not as good as Zaha, I thought Redmond made a difference today.

He provided fresh energy and was a threat down the right as soon as he came on - something we lacked before he come on.

Ultimately, he didn''t create that crucial chance/goal, but he did his best today.[/quote]Very much so. I see what Alex Neil is doing, as Jarvis will do more defensive work, but makes you wonder what an earlier introduction could have brought.

Completely agree, Morty.

I think he was right to start Jarvis because he provides more cover vs a team with potent wingers. It has proved successful for the last few games, so why change it?

Attacking wise, Jarvis offered very little today and he could/should have been subbed for Redmond earlier. The only defence for AN was that Klose was taken off before, and that that was his last sub to be made - hence the delayed intro for Redmond.

However it isn''t the first time this has been an issue.... People, including myself, have been aggrieved a lot this season about delayed substitutions. Whilst fans have mixed opinions on what specific changes need to be made, it is usually clear to see that something needs to be done in a game. AN usually makes that change 10 minutes too late.

I have no idea why this is. Inexperience? Luck? Waiting to see how the other manager changes it?

I don''t know but I hope he learns from it soon...

Yes, as usual subs were delayed too long. Naismith/Jarvis ineffective and Brady/Mbokani not much better. Bamford has taken a lot of criticism but I have to say Redmond did nothing and has lost confidence. Two poor teams and the quality of the final shots at goal was pretty appalling.

[quote user="vos"]Yes, as usual subs were delayed too long. Naismith/Jarvis ineffective and Brady/Mbokani not much better. Bamford has taken a lot of criticism but I have to say Redmond did nothing and has lost confidence. Two poor teams and the quality of the final shots at goal was pretty appalling.[/quote]Disagree.Biggest issue for me today was that their defence marshalled Mbokani a lot more effectively than Newcastle''s did.

Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB wrote the following post at 09/04/2016 9:30 PM:

My mate who went today feels that the game had 0-0 written all over it until the change that saw Bamford brought on..

My lads just got back from the game and funnily enough he said the same thing.

I think Bamford has got something and is worth sticking with.

But then I said the same about Harry Kane...

Oh. Yeah.

Take your point Morty. As was mentioned to me at Carrow Road the Palace central defenders were far better than what we were up against last Saturday. But overall these were two very poor teams.

Another game where the opposition managers proactive substitution(s) has made a noticeable difference and ours has not. Has happened far too often this season.

His refusal to play Wes is becoming baffling. If he does not start next week Neil has lost the plot.

His refusal to play Wes is not baffling. With Mbokani upfront you need someone who will get close to him to pick up those knock downs, flick ons and lay offs. Wes doesn''t do this, instead preferring to drift all over the pitch in search of the ball. This is fine but as we saw earlier in the season it leaves our striker totally isolated. We tried formations with both Wes and Naismith in the team but got ripped apart due to a lack of defensive cover and pace.

I think Wes is a great player but I''m not sure he is good enough any more to have to build your team around him.