Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Martin Peters

Desperately sad. What a horrible disease. Awful for his family, that he sometimes, doesn''t remember them.

As you say Lapps, THE best player to play for us.

Yet another, hit by this dreadful disease.  The families are always the ones who suffer most.  My sympathies.

I am just back from spending 2 hours with my Mum, who has Vascular Dementia, and this news has made me very sad, especially given how young he is.

I cope by trying to be positive and finding things to amuse my Mum, but if I allowed myself to think about our situation it would make me cry. My sympathies go out to his family.

I agree that he was the best player to pull on a Norwich shirt. If only we had someone to run our midfield like he did.

I loved the way he could meet a corner short of the near post and send it angling into the far corner.

For some reason the goal I remember most was against Man Citey in the cup, We were 3-1 down and he chested the ball down in the box and volleyed it into the goal. It was disallowed for handball, at which point Martin turned round and showed a perfectly round mud print on the front of his shirt.

So us being denied perfectly good goals is nothing new, but less forgiveable in this digital age.

My mum suffered with Vascula Dementia THB and you are right that it does reduce you to tears. I was one of two sons that she had and near the end she could not even recognise my name. It was a happy release when the end came. Just remember the good times my friend and hang on to the positives from earlier life. I think the most traumatic time is when there is no choice but to put a parent in residential care. You feel you have betrayed them in not being able to care for them yourself.Let us not forget our Duncan Forbes also.

Alzheimers is dreadful and made my grandfather something of a ghost in his own body. Very sad that Martin Peters and family are added to the growing list of people suffering from this awful condition.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]My mum suffered with Vascula Dementia THB and you are right that it does reduce you to tears. I was one of two sons that she had and near the end she could not even recognise my name. It was a happy release when the end came. Just remember the good times my friend and hang on to the positives from earlier life. I think the most traumatic time is when there is no choice but to put a parent in residential care. You feel you have betrayed them in not being able to care for them yourself.Let us not forget our Duncan Forbes also.[/quote]

Respect Tilly.

My Mum was in Sheltered Housing, but the Warden only did office hours and my Mum started wandering at night and winter was coming, so we did move her into a Residential Care Home.

I am still working and live in an old farmhouse with lots of steps and glass in doors, and did not feel that having Mum live with us was a workable option.

The fact that my parents had taken out insurance to help with such an eventuality eased my mind, as well as easing the cost.

Not long after we made the move an 81 year old woman in Attleborough, with some form of dementia, and care coming in from 8am to 6pm, took herself off for a wander one night and was found the next morning dead in a ditch. This sad event helped to confirm our actions.

To return to the OP. It is unlikely to be a coincidence that 3 of the surviving members of the 1966 England squad have Dementia type symptoms, but it will take a long time to prove a causal link between dementia and playing football.

So sad to hear this but inadvertently a man of the stature of Martin Peters is now helping raise awareness so he continues to inspire us.

Remembering the old A11 it was remarkable how this icon of English football decided to come and play for unfashionable Norwich City and wear that fabulous Admiral strip.

Like everyone else I have great memories but I last saw him when he signed my copy of his book in Norwich and I asked him to write a dedication to my best man who died young but loved watching Martin as much as I did. I saw the emotion on his face when I asked him and I hoped my friend was looking down at that moment too.

What an outstanding man - read his book if you haven''t - I can only wish him and his family well in my thoughts.

Well while governments and lottery funds give monies for foreign aid and to pay to send gay/lesbian groups off to deepest Africa to quote poetry nothing will change and research will not be funded

PS Martin 10 years ahead of his time

[quote user="daly"]Well while governments and lottery funds give monies for foreign aid and to pay to send gay/lesbian groups off to deepest Africa to quote poetry nothing will change and research will not be funded

PS Martin 10 years ahead of his time[/quote]
Congratulations on reaching a whole new frontier of stupid.

What a master craftsman. Got to have been the best £50,000 worth of transfer business this club ever did.Spent five years at Carrow Rd and was magnificent throughout. I remember one home game against Man City he was surrounded by three opposing players including Colin Bell who was himself a player and a half. Peters dinked the ball up on his instep then his knee then spun round and sent the ball straight to a colleague leaving the three Man City players grasping at thin air. Magic moment of which there were many others.On another occasion at White Hart Lane he wasn''t playing but was outside the ground all suited and booted pre-match when a wedding party from a nearby church spotted him and he ended up having dozens of photographs taken with the happy couple and guests.A class player and a class man.My thoughts go out to his family and friends.