Sign in to follow this  
willo

Our 'Fearful' Run in....

To me doesn''t look that bad at all.

Granted next Saturday is huge, but, having watched the other 4 teams this past few weeks, I cant see any reason why we cant get at least 6 points from these teams. United are not a force and rumour has it that when they know CL football is lost, they really don''t want Europa League.

Watford and Everton could be either waiting for an FA Cup final or certainly in a position where the game will not mean a lot. I know there is this ''On the beach'' thought, but we have seen this before and I don''t see these two in the class of mid table teams such as Stoke or Southampton, who would certainly worry me more. Arsenal, granted, could well be a difficult game for us but also, not as worried as in past years.

So, even if results don''t go next week, I think we can still get to 37/38 points, which still puts enormous pressure on the 2 North East sides...

We shouldnt be fearfull. All these sides are beatable. And on our day we can beat anyone. We weren''t gonna keep an unbeaten run going for too long so now that''s over let''s get another 3 game unbeaten run going. We are in the same position as we were at 6 o''clock last Saturday but with one game less to play. So not been a total disaster.

Win vs Sunderland and another 3-4 points will be enough. We can do this, it''s in our hands.

Who has said our run-in is ''fearsome''? IMO It is pretty much ''middling'' and not much different from the sides around us; it''s certainly far less ''fearsome'' than last time we were in the PL!

It probably looked fearful before we drew with Man City and beat WBA and Newcastle.
We are in a relatively strong position now and to be honest, if we can''t stay up from here then we don''t deserve to.
The only caveat to that would be if Klose is out for the rest of the season, though I am hoping the fact he was visible on crutches at half time rather than in the back of an ambulance means it can be dealt with, plus we have no game on 23rd April so he may miss Sunderland but be back for the 30th.

it could be worse.

The rearranging of the Watford game until the penultimate game has broken up what looked a bad run-in.

unfortunately i can see nothing but a convincing defeat at arsenal, with the goal diff situation between ourselves and sunderland being so close, i''d take a 2 goal defeat now.

Hopefully when the Man United game comes round, Man City will have nailed 4th place and United will have little to play for.

.The key to who stays up could very well lie in Watford and Everton.....as although they are our last 2 games , they are also Sunderlands last 2 aswell in reverse order. There is little doubt that these 2 being the two FA Cup cup finalists would work in our favour as they would surely be resting players with that in mind.

Its therefore imperitive that we go into those last 2 ahead of Sunderland because if we are relying on either of those doing us a favour ,we maybe dissappointed.

The free weekend, that I don''t think anybody else gets, could prove to be quite an advantage.

It''s interesting that although Sunderland''s game in hand is (technically) Everton, in actual fact we will have both played the same number of games from the Cup semi-final weekend: they play Arsenal while we have the weekend off. We then both play our catch-up games on May 11, a date that could yet become very important.

If we win Saturday then that''s pretty much job done. Sunderland won''t make up 7 points in the remaining games

I agree JF, I see it pretty much the same way. Although the unlikely sometimes occurs, as last night with Speith collapsing, we''d have to lose virtually all of our games for them to have any hope. And unlike when we beat them a couple of years back I seem to recall they were 6 or 7 behind us at a similar stage but had 3 games in hand, not simply the one.

Yes hence the infamous tag people often repeat that when Hughton was sacked, we were 5 points above the drop zone.  Sunderland were below us and I think had 3 games in hand which they won, so allowing for those results, we would have been in the drop zone at that point if they''d played the same number of games as us. Which was basically why he was sacked - given the team was showing no sign of pulling out a decent result in any game.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It''s interesting that although Sunderland''s game in hand is (technically) Everton, in actual fact we will have both played the same number of games from the Cup semi-final weekend: they play Arsenal while we have the weekend off. We then both play our catch-up games on May 11, a date that could yet become very important.[/quote]To add to this - we''re also going to go from Newcastle having a game in hand against us, to by the time we play Arsenal we will have a game in hand against Newcastle.I know points on the board is always better than games in hand - however it would be nice to have a situation where we have both.