Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Well done Danny Willett 👍🏼

First European to win Masters in 17 years, first British/Englishman to win in 20 years. Deserves a mention I think. Made all the more enjoyable by the Americans meltdown.

Loved it, that he won, anyone notice it was a polite round of applause when he sank a put, but the went wild when  Jordan Spieth potted.

To see Spieth crumble in the way he did was a bit unreal. To put it in the water twice, he had a comfortable lead and threw the whole tournament away in one hole, amazing game.

Didn''t see the final ceremony but it must have been a bit galling for him to have to put the green jacket on Willet after all that.

And the in-off hole in 1All magical stuff & I thought about going to bed when Spieth was 5 aheadGreat day yesterday - Sunderland losing & a yank falling aparthttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36011707

Making Plans wrote the following post at 11/04/2016 8:41 AM:

"And the in-off hole in 1

All magical stuff & I thought about going to bed when Spieth was 5 ahead"

I''m sure it''s happened before but I personally can''t ever remember watching live as a tournament leader threw a Major away in one hole, especially as he was the existing holder.Amazing stuff.

Jordan Spieth is the real deal and has displayed wonderful maturity to date in his very young career. Obviously, this kind of loss would hurt any individual and make it tough to cope with but, although it''s not what he wants to hear right now, he will learn from this and go on to win many more majors. He is that good.
However, yesterday was a great victory for Danny Willett for a whole bunch of reasons.

YankeeCanary wrote the following post at 11/04/2016 6:50 PM:

Jordan Spieth is the real deal and has displayed wonderful maturity to date in his very young career. Obviously, this kind of loss would hurt any individual and make it tough to cope with but, although it''s not what he wants to hear right now, he will learn from this and go on to win many more majors. He is that good.

Time will tell Yankee. Golf is the game, more than any other I know, where a positive frame of mind is absolutely essential for success.

The manner of yesterday''s defeat may galvanise his spirit but there is also a very good chance that the negativity of the incident will continue to surface in his mind when the pressure is on.

It happened to Jacklin many years ago, his hitherto successful career was ended by one round at Muirfield, he continued to play to a high standard but never won a major again I believe.

Vanwink wrote ''I''m sure it''s happened before but I personally can''t ever remember watching live as a tournament leader threw a Major away in one hole, especially as he was the existing holder.Amazing stuff.''

Vanwink, Jean Van Der Velvde did something similar on the last hole of the 1999 Open at Carnoustie, triple bogeyed on THE LAST hole to throw a three shot lead. Went on to lose a threeway playoff. That must have been worse IMO!😥

I still wonder what happened to Jordan Spieth when he put it in the water the second time, clearly he didn''t get it over the water, but the ball only just reached the water! How could his judgement be so out ?

May have had a bad lie in the drop zone, in a divot or something, can''t think of anything else other than a complete duff.

Swindon Canary noted the polite applause when Willett potted. Versus the crowd going mad when Spieth did.

Well,hardly surprising. The tournament is in the USA.

I go to several tournaments over the year. I can tell you

that our fans are not shrinking violets when it comes to that sort of thing, especially when the amber nectar kicks in. But that aside I thought Spieth was a bit fortunate to have that lead in the first place. Only there because of his great putting. Not his all round game. He sliced the ball into the trees several times. And never once got into trouble. Quite a few lucky kick- outs back

onto the fairway.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I suspect a conspiracy to try and make golf appear entertaining.[/quote]

No conspiracy needed in this instance,Miss Katie.

But entertaining or not, it sure as hell beats your passion.

I have a peep on here every couple of days and it seems you''re one of about half a dozen who seem to spend 24/7 posting on this board. Do you ever go out ?

I will only go out once there is a way to post messages to Internet forums from devices other than computers.

Let me know when this is possible.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Do drop by every now and again to let us know how your anger management classes are going.[/quote]

Well better that than agoraphobia I guess.

The final board was a joy for all golfing Englishmen.

Surely one of the best day ever days for English golf.

Willet''s win was a turn-up for the books, but not a massive surprise given his showings in various competitions over the last year or two.

I had a sizeable e.w. bet on him (along with Casey who has being showing well recently) and I know a few others who did the same.

Nearly as exciting for me was the final round and overall performance of the young (very) Englishman Matthew Fitzpatrick.

He is a genuine prospect and destined to be a big mover in the next year or two.

"Stick yer speculative dosh on him and you won''t go far wrong." (Says Ray Winston.)

He could be bigger than DW and eventually rival Faldo in our all-time greats list.