Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

Arnold Wesker

Jimmy Beales: "Who do you think''ll win today?"Frank Bryant: "Well Norwich won''t."Jimmy Beales: "No."The original miserabilist? RIP.

I''d completely forgotten about him. Something about chicken soup & barley? One of those authors/playwrights you hear about but never get around to experiencing. Perhaps I''ll give him a go now. Or perhaps not.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I''d completely forgotten about him. Something about chicken soup & barley? One of those authors/playwrights you hear about but never get around to experiencing. Perhaps I''ll give him a go now. Or perhaps not.[/quote]O tempora, o mores. Listening to the first broadcast of the Wesker Trilogy on the Third Programme (younger posters may need to ask their grandparents not only what the Third Programme was but perhaps what a radio is...) was a formative experience. Wesker worked at the old Bell Hotel in Norwich for a while and the middle play, Roots, from which that dialogue comes, was set in Norfolk, as was the third, I''m Talking About Jerusalem.  The first, Chicken Soup With Barley, takes place in London.Roots was writen in the lateish 1950s, around the time we finished rock-bottom of Division Three (South) and had to apply for re-election, and were close to going out of business, so the pessimism was probably justified. But perhaps it spurred us on, because soon after came the FA Cup run, and promotion to Division Two.

It was great when we read ''Roots'' at school, something written in the dialect that most of the kids were using at that time.

Thanks Arnold & RIP.

I liked "Chips with Everything," I was a student at the time and the title was appropriate. I remember a school trip to the West End to see it on stage.

Dr. Finlay was in it. That''s the only fact I can now recall of the play and the occasion, even though I preferred Jarnet.