Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Not Good Enough

Judging on today''s performance we are not good enough to be a Premier Team. Hoolahan should have started with Redmond. Bassong is a big liability in the team makes too many mistakes. Naismith was just running around like a headless chicken and we do not have good strikers. OK we were missing Tettey and Klose but that''s not no excuse. We need a miracle to stay up and with this team i cannot see this happening. If we go down (which is looking likely at the moment) then this board will have to spend money to get us back up with some better players. We can only carry on with the players we have and some are just not good enough. Whatever your view today Sunderland were the better side, and even they made a load of mistakes. The REF well that''s another story !!!! just my opinion.

We had over 75 dangerous attacks compared to Sunderland''s 25.

We had 8 shots on target compared to Sunderland''s 3

We had 14 corners, Sunderland had none.

We had 64% possession.

Sunderland had the ref on their side.

How were Sunderland the better side?

Because the scored 3 goals and we scored none maybe!?

That doesn''t make them the better side does it? That tells you they had a far superior conversion rate.

I agree we were not good enough. But for all but 5 minutes we controlled the play. We just couldn''t find the net and again contributed mistakes at the back.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]That doesn''t make them the better side does it? That tells you they had a far superior conversion rate.

I agree we were not good enough. But for all but 5 minutes we controlled the play. We just couldn''t find the net and again contributed mistakes at the back.[/quote]

You contradict yourself. Having a better conversion rate suggests they''re more clinical, therefore demonstrate more quality with the ball, therefore better. It was clear to see we weren''t going to score.

When you''re in a relegation scrap it means nothing being the better side, all that matters at the end of the season is how many points you have compared to other teams and today we took home none.

Me and the guys around me couldn''t believe we were behind at h-t as we had been so dominant and playing well, so it is interesting that now we were ''abject''!

IMO luck (and ref decisions) always plays a part, and did big-time today - it was a hugely flattering scoreline for them, the dominant side lost 3-0; but it happens. As far as Sunderland are concerned they largely parked the bus and tried to get us on the break - and as we had to chase it more and more they managed to catch us twice; fortune certainly didn''t favour us with the timing of their first, our 2 clear pen shouts, and going down to ten men, but that''s what happens sometimes.

We DID NOT NEED to win this game today.

We just needed to avoid defeat.

We absolutely needed to avoid a heavy defeat because goal difference is a huge factor. Minus 1 to minus 7 in one fell swoop.

Sunderland possess quality players we do not have so we needed a scrappy game. Instead we played into the hands of an experienced side and manager.

This was reminiscent of the kind of defeat we were suffering months ago - we have learned nothing.