Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Klose injury

Either way our enforced break could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Thinking about it, it will anyhow. A little rest amidst the dog-end, nerve-racking, tiring, injury-prone season''s run in could be just what the doctor ordered in any case.

Thanks Everton, or is it Watford.

With rivals getting a few games in our squad will be more mindful of the task ahead and have time to prepare themselves better for it.

Mmn. Useful.

if, as expected, timm is out for saturday we should draw confidence that we limited defoes impact at the SoL with a back 4 of Whittaker, Martin, Bassong & Brady.

I am confident that Wisdom Bennett Bassong Olsson is more than capable of being good enough if they concentrate.

We need to dominate on sat as we did earlier in the season.

Yes, but I am mindful of the Fact that Klose would be more likely to get in that early, crunching and painful (but legal of course) tackle on Jermaine Defoe than Seb would.

Defoe is their danger man and would need a quick reminder that he is in a tough (very) battle. He can be a bit of a shrinking violet when up against it physically.

Zipper "if they concentrate"....now there''s the rub!

Hopefully Bassong can stay focussed for the full 90 odd minutes.

GJP wrote the following post at 12/04/2016 9:07 AM:

As if that only applies to Bassong.

Fair comment but that''s not what I mean of course.

It applies to them all but particularly to Bassong IMO who seems to suffer from concentration lapses.

I don''t really see that as being something he is worse for than the others (apart from Klose).

I think it''s unlikely the club will let us no too much information before Saturday on his condition, purely on tactical reasons to keep a question mark on sunderlands preparations.

But I''m going to throw it out there that no news could be better news... I think him unlikely for this weekend, but the fact he hasn''t been ruled out for 6 or whatever straight away (like Tetty) suggests that there hopefully is a chance this could be a medium to short term issue.

I think in any case we have to be realistic that it is very unlikely he will play at the weekend no matter how bad or not his injury is. Even as a precaution unless it was literally a bruised knee that has somehow managed to get back to full fitness by the end of the week - I doubt they''d risk losing him for the rest of the season. I think this is probably suggested by Neil in saying ''it isn''t all about the Sunderland result''.

[quote user="birchfest"]I think it''s unlikely the club will let us no too much information before Saturday on his condition, purely on tactical reasons to keep a question mark on sunderlands preparations.

But I''m going to throw it out there that no news could be better news... I think him unlikely for this weekend, but the fact he hasn''t been ruled out for 6 or whatever straight away (like Tetty) suggests that there hopefully is a chance this could be a medium to short term issue.[/quote]

I was thinking the longer we don''t hear anything, the worse the injury might be! Lol, but who knows. Either way can''t see him playing Saturday.

I think it''s hard to compare this game to the one at the start of the season at SoL. They were a completely different outfit under Advocaat, and now have a fair bit of fight and resilience under Allardyce, as well as some decent signings in January in Kone, Kirchoff, Khazri etc.

If he doesn''t make it then it has to be Bassong replacing him. A left footer for a left footer which retains the balance in central defence.

I reckon Martin will also return in place of Wisdom on Saturday. Purely because Neil will want his captain in the side for such a crunch game.

Jarvis'' comments would suggest perhaps we won''t be seeing Klose for atleast Saturday.. you''d expect MJ to have some sort of knowledge on the matter...

That being said, if its just swelling, no one will know till Saturday.

What a pointless post of mine

Exactly what I said a few posts back - Klose won''t be risked at all if there is an risk - we''ve got several games to go, not one, so no need to throw eggs into one basket. We could do with him against our upcoming opponents

Yeah, as much as anything, if he''s not right and we start him, chances are he''d not last the game and we''d waste a substitution, like used to happen with Pilks.  After Saturday we have a 2-week break so let''s hope that gives time for him to be recovered for the final four games, even if he can''t make Saturday.

The absence of Timm Klose should bring the best out of Bassong who will essentially be playing for his place.

Maybe a chance of having him on the bench?

We can go with Bennett and Bassong and then if we need to Klose the game out (pun intended) on he comes!

Same if one of those two is struggling.

I think players should only be on the bench if they are fit enough to start the game - what happens if Bennett or Bassong get injured in the first minute, or the warm up? If Klose isn''t fit enough to play 90 minutes he won''t be in the squad.

Completely agree AJ.

It''s different with an attacking player as you tend to have many more attacking options on the bench. So you can risk Redmond as we have done in recent matches even though he''s not been fit enough to do 90.

But ideally, you''re only going to have 1 or at most 2 defensive options on the bench. So you can''t afford for one of those to potentially be a half fit Timm Klose.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Maybe a chance of having him on the bench?

We can go with Bennett and Bassong and then if we need to Klose the game out (pun intended) on he comes!

Same if one of those two is struggling.[/quote]
People who point out their puns are like comedians who explain their jokes: they both think you''re too stupid to get it. The only good thing about the phrase "pun intended" is that it saves you time when you want to say "hello, I''m going to be at the bag convention this weekend, please be sure to stop by and say ''hi.'' I''ll be at the douche exhibit." Here''s the deal: when you point out your puns, you''re making a value judgement on me, the reader. You''re saying:

"Hey reader, you see that play on words I just made? Yeah, well that wasn''t an accident. In fact, I thought it was so clever that I didn''t think your simple mind would be able to comprehend the brilliance of my play on words, and I wanted to make sure you know that I''m not only smart enough to use homonyms, but that I''m smart enough to point them out."

The sheer level of narcissism it takes to think that anyone gives a shit about whether or not you meant to write your pun is mind boggling. If narcissism were measured in units of mass, the skulls of people who pointed out puns would crush in on themselves in a giant black hole of stupidity.

I just get a feeling of the old Alex Ferguson Trick.."there''s absolutely no Chance Giggs/Rooney/Ronaldo/Scholes/Whoever will play this weekend..." so the opposition set their formation and tactics out expecting him not to play only to see his name on the team sheet starting on the Saturday... and he tears them apart with his performance...."there''s absolutely no chance of Klose playing this weekend..." Cue a man of the match performance then....

AJ, put it this way, i''d rather have a 70% fit Klose as stand in CB than a fully fit Russell Martin at CB with someone else having to go right back.

It''s a bit like when people watch a game in the corporate hospitality and they will then have to wedge that in at every opportunity they can.

But I''m sure nobody in here has done that...

Yeah, I''m hoping the choice is for Basso/Bennett if Klose is out, probably RM at right back - he''s been decent recently and we need all our leaders on the field.

I think it makes sense to keep schtum about Klose until the last minute so Sunderland can''t plan on the assumption he''s definitely out.  If we spring it at the last minute that he''s fit it will be a bit of a downer for them, but let''s face it, we think he''s fantastic but how much will the Sunderland players know about him  yet ?

I think 5 at the back makes sense against teams like Man City with lots of attacking options... so not my first choice against Sunderland.

I view Defoe as a rich man''s Gary Hooper - doesn''t contribute much to the team overall but has a deadly finish if you give him the time and the space.  It''s all about cutting off the supply to him and not giving him freedom on the ball in dangerous areas.

Good idea for the club to keep quiet about Klose all week and keep our cards Klose (FAO Hogesar: PUN INTENDED) to our chest...

I personally wouldn''t particularly want to watch a game from a corporate hospitality box. I don''t know about you GJP but I think I''d much prefer to watch from a normal seat and feel klose to the action.