Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Up or Down we still have a bright future

Not posted for a while, but have to a typical Norwich season, regardless of who the manager is we have an uncanny knack of ballsing crucial games in the top division.

So for those calling for the managers head and MacNally, please step back and take a pause.

AN has done a very good job with the tools at his disposal, Naismith, Jarvis, Mullumbu and Dorrans have been questionable signings, but Mbakani, Klose, Brady have been very good.

His tactics again can be questioned but that can be said of any during a season, all fans know best!

The players have let us down in crucial games, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Bournemouth to name a few, but have also pulled out some great results too, Man U, Man City to name a couple games.

MacNally has been the foundation on which the past 6 season of success has been built, so please think on, do you want another Doncaster? Never again, a guy who goes to a girl band concert instead of pushing through crucial deals.

Without big investment our board is a stable, if not boring set of people who know each other, are comfortable with each other and could be looked on as complacent or frightened to take that next step in finding if not allowing external investment, like Swansea, Everton and Watford have all done in the past two seasons, so there is investment out there.

Back to real positives, we have a shed full of really talented youngsters on loan, next year they will all come back better for their experience and if we go down, some potentially superb young players for us to get behind and watch develop. We also have the foundations of a great championship squad, of course a few will depart but if we can keep the likes of Klose, Brady and Redders then sell off Naismith,Mullumbu, Dorrans, Jarvis and Bassong we could see a very positive season.

Hell we still have games to go and who knows this lot might just beat Arsenal and United yet! More chance that then beating Villa and Sunderland!

Klose, Brady, Redmond will be off.

Gotta build side in the champ around Bennett, Olsson, Howson, Dorrans, Jarvis, Vadis, Pinto, Maddison etc.

Time to move on the likes of Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Hoolahan etc.

Hi Indy, stranger..... hope you are keeping well.

You make some good points, its easy to react straight after a game like todays, i came away questioning AN''s game plan today (or lack of) and in truth i think he is a decent young manager who will become a good young manager,.

Some of the signings are very questionable (the so called older pro''s, not the young guns out on loan) and for that i do wonder how much is down to McNallys iron glove, and yes i remember the Doomcaster days, but am more than just a little concerned that his beliefs are as much at fault as the manager, if i give my wife a weekly shopping budget of £75 she would go to Lidl, if i gave her £500 she would be a regular at Waitrose, and i think our clubs are regulars at Lidl !!

But a draw v Arsenal, and Manure, wins against Watford and Everton.......... and the dream lives on.

If we do go down, as I said earlier in the season, we are in a much better position than last time. The only fear I have is Redmond going at the end of the season as, no matter what people say, he important for us.

We don''t have that useless Adams in charge, instead we have a man who has an amazing record in the championship. Once again, just like last time we need to keep our players and try to build, just like last time.

I dont think the Championship is as difficult a league as people make out, ..at least it shouldnt be for a club like ours who have the finances of being in the Premier League for a fair few of the last seasons.

Ipswich are sh!te and theyre currently 8th in it , so how hard can it be?

Whilst I''d be dissappointed if we werent at least around the playoffs ,I do wonder , if we went down whether our team would be as strong as the one we had in it last season?

Some of that side (and its goals) have moved on i''e Johnson,Grabban,Hooper and of the players who are still here from that promoted team, how many of them will have the motivation to go again after 2 relegations in 3 years?

...and then of course there are the new players who werent around for that promotion ,i''e Brady, are they up for the fight?

I wouldnt be quite certain of an immediate return this time around

Nice, positive post. Lets bot kid ourselves though, the championship is a tough old slog and it''s likely we won''t be bouncing straight back.

If even one of the promosing youth guys becomes a regular fixture for us, I''ll bite your hand off. Nothing like overrating a youth player. Both murphys have flattered to decieve out on loan and morris has been fairly average at hamilton.

We can''t just accept we are down and be happy with it, does the win at Wembley mean nothing? We were an absolute shambles today and it was unacceptable. We need to buck our ideas up, beat watford and everton at least and stay up as if we go down, we are only going one way long term. Countless teams have fallen into that trap.

In the unlikely event of our staying up i suspect we will be scratching around at the bottom this time next year. As for the championship we have a decent spine to the squad but we will probably lose our 3 best players in Klose, Redmond and possibly Brady. Mbokani will drift somewhere else and we will only have Jerome as our striker so we will need to spend big by championship standards to bring in two at least. Some of our youngsters currently on loan may start having a few games and one or two may come off. On balance i would stick with AN albeit i am not a great fan and think he has attributes but is also over rated. If we are off the pace October time then it may be the time to cut and run. I actually feel less confident than last time we got relegated as we have got rid of Hooper and Johnson both gems at that level

I can''t see us staying up from here, I didn''t think we would survive from the outset so it''s no great shock. I think Brady will definitely be off, Klosse and Redmond too, all to newly promoted sides.

I am hoping that one or maybe two of the youngsters we have invested in will come good, who knows.

With decent recruitment over the summer and the core of a squad who have been there and done it, there''s no reason why we shouldn''t come back up. We got the right man for the job in Alex.

Why are people so sure we will lose our better players. There are lots of people who are adamant that Klose will be gone. Personally the knee injury while a huge blow for us this season, might not be such a bad thing for the future. IF we sold we would want most of the 9 million we paid for him, and let''s be honest, those of us that watched him know he is a very good centre half, but his first few games were shaky, and he only really showed his true ability in the three matches leading up to his injury. How many teams will take a 9 million gamble on a player that has played really well in three or four matches? Maybe there are plenty, but I''m not so sure. Then we have Redmond, Redmond will be sold in the summer if his contract isn''t extended, and I don''t think what league we are in will make any difference at all. As for Brady, he''s been very good for us yes, but he could potentially be relegated for the 2nd time in two seasons, and he''s on a big contract. I think he would give us a season in the championship if we the worst happened. My point is, I''m not so sure that A. These players would jump ship and B. There would be a queue of suitors willing to pay for them. As I''ve said before, IF we are to be relegated, I''m quite excited with what we would have in the championship.

A much bigger concern for me is when they might invest in some decent hand dryers in the gents!!

Not over yet, if Sunderland and Newcastle lose their games midweek, it''s all to play for! We will beat Watford and one of Utd or Everton.

The thing is look at the prices Jordan Rhodes, Ross Mccormack, Andre Gray have gone for in the championship this season.

Realistically who would leave:

Klose - Didn''t leave bundesliga for the champ

Brady - Probably join promoted club

Redmond - Only 12 months remaining on contract

Naismith - Rumoured to have relegation release clause

Wisdom - Return to parent club

Mbokani - Return to parent club

Bamford - Return to parent club

Whittaker - Out of contract

Van Wolfswinkel - Big wages not fancied by Neil

Lafferty - Not played when in champ last time

We shall see, but we will not lose Brady, Klose, Redmond and Naismith in the same window. DM won''t let that happen. History tells us we sell who we want to sell, contracts permitting.

I think Klose will Captain the club next season regardless of what division we are in.

I''m pretty sure Klose has actually fallen in love with this club and supporters in his short time, just a gut feeling from his interviews and what others closer to the club have said, so doubt he will go.

Redders might well go and Brady will have another relegation to his name, will he stay to get us back up? Might well do as our finances are fairly sound so need to sell.

I''d like rid of Naismith, Dorrans, Mullumbu, Whitts and Bassong if we go down and the loans back to the parent clubs.

But with Laffs & Jerome we have proven Championship strikers so a couple younger strikers to back them up and we do have our youngsters out on loan who could make the step up we are in a very strong place.

It all depends on the board taking the gamble and players wanting to stay should we go down, but we have a good squad with little need to spend big in the championship.

Should we stay up. I really believe our current board have to do better than Ed Balls and go out there to find investment or as others said it will be the same struggle.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Hi Indy, stranger..... hope you are keeping well.

You make some good points, its easy to react straight after a game like todays, i came away questioning AN''s game plan today (or lack of) and in truth i think he is a decent young manager who will become a good young manager,.

Some of the signings are very questionable (the so called older pro''s, not the young guns out on loan) and for that i do wonder how much is down to McNallys iron glove, and yes i remember the Doomcaster days, but am more than just a little concerned that his beliefs are as much at fault as the manager, if i give my wife a weekly shopping budget of £75 she would go to Lidl, if i gave her £500 she would be a regular at Waitrose, and i think our clubs are regulars at Lidl !!

But a draw v Arsenal, and Manure, wins against Watford and Everton.......... and the dream lives on.[/quote]

Good point Lessingham and one which for me is key to where our club wish to be.......lots on here love our board and yes Delia has been very supportive over the 20 years, but to move onto mid table we need to follow the likes of Swansea, Everton and others and frisk investment, it will bring in risk no doubt but the reward could be to establish ourselves, otherwise I''m sure we will continue the yo yo existence.

But there''s lots to be positive about even without investment from outside the club.

Were not down yet lads!! Blimey, I know it''s looking grim after today''s result but we are actually still in a pretty decent place with games left. We''re not Villa!

I''d say it''d be a bleak outlook if we went down because we''d be faced with needing to replace too many core players. We''d need to rebuild, probably harder to do with a Champs budget.If the solution to relegation is to sell players at a loss and buy experienced ready-made replacements, then don''t expect promotion and a long stay in the Premier League. We can''t compete against richer teams in this way.

What concerns me if we go down is our lack of strikers once Mbokani leaves.

Quality Championship strikers like McCormack, Rhodes and Gray have all be sold recently for more money than we have spent on individuals THIS season!

Come on guys it''s not all doom and gloom! As some of us have said already we are not down yet!

But if we did go down we have a good opportunity to move a few on that need moving on, sell one or two at the most to balance the books but then also welcome back some great prospects. I''ve said before and I will say it again, the prospect of the Murphy boys in the championship is an exciting one, both have had solid seasons in poorish teams, and both have played enough senior football to now come in and take their turn. It''s no given that they will be a huge success, but equally it''s no given that players who we sign for millions will succeed either.

As for the lack of strikers, it doesn''t concern me one bit, Lafferty isn''t the answer, DM while he has showed some excellent flashes of his ability, he isn''t and never will be the PL striker we all want him to be. He''s inconsistent and plays when HE is in the mood. Football evolves every year, there will always be promising strikers out there available to purchase. I''d take Bamford in the championship in a heart beat. We would also still have Jerome who we all know is perfectly capable in that division.

We go down with a big pot of parachute payments, a healthy bank balance, an up and coming manager and the likes of Ruddy, Klose, Bennett, Howson, Tetty, Dorrans, Brady, Jarvis, Jerome who we know would walk into most Championship clubs, and they are well capable of forming the bass to a very good Championship side.

Honestly my fellow supporters, come what may this season, we will be playing premiership football again if not next season, certainly the season after.