Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Incredibly poor management/team selection today

No hindsight required. Naismith is an abomination of a footballer and anyone who plays Naismith and Jarvis ahead of a fit and rested Wes and Redmond has highly questionable judgment at best.

Whilst I agree on Naismith I fail to see what Redmond has done to directly warrant a start over Jarvis who has played well over the past few weeks

Nope - AN was right to start the same eleven (apart from Klose, unfortunately) today. About the only thing he got right.

[quote user="julian hudson"]Nope - AN was right to start the same eleven (apart from Klose, unfortunately) today. About the only thing he got right.[/quote]

It was abundantly clear from very early on that it was a game crying out for Wes and/or Redmond so I struggle to see why you think he got the selection right? Naismith looks likely to rival RVW in the worst signings stakes.

Completely agree Jim. Having Jarvis and Naismith on was like having 9 men. Neither of them should start again this season. How it was the right decision to name the same team? We could still be playing Palace now and wouldn''t have scored.

Redmond should be first on the team sheet if you want to win a football match. If you lack the ambition to try and beat - rather than not to lose - against teams like Sunderland you get what you deserve. Not just a defeat but a thrashing.

[quote user="Willmeister"]Completely agree Jim. Having Jarvis and Naismith on was like having 9 men. Neither of them should start again this season. How it was the right decision to name the same team? We could still be playing Palace now and wouldn''t have scored.[/quote]Naismith had a stinker today and Jarvis not so much, but both played pretty well in previous games, so AN was right to start them.Catch my drift?

I agree Julian that Jarvis wasn''t as bad as Naismith, but Jarvis has no final ball. He works hard, but he''s not going to create us chances.

Please can you give me some examples when either have played well? I really can''t remember.

[quote user="Willmeister"]I agree Julian that Jarvis wasn''t as bad as Naismith, but Jarvis has no final ball. He works hard, but he''s not going to create us chances.

Please can you give me some examples when either have played well? I really can''t remember.[/quote]When the last time Redmond or Hoolahan played well before today?  No I can''t remember either.

Wes has hardly played recently. Redmond did more in 15 minutes against Palace than either than Naismith or Jarvis. My argument is not that Redmond is the second Messiah, but he is better than either of those two.

[quote user="Willmeister"]I agree Julian that Jarvis wasn''t as bad as Naismith, but Jarvis has no final ball. He works hard, but he''s not going to create us chances.

Please can you give me some examples when either have played well? I really can''t remember.[/quote]Perhaps you''re in the early stages of alzheimer''s -- Jarvis & Naismith played against WBA (Redmond didn''t figure) and Newcastle (Hoolahan & Redmond came on as late subs)We won both matches [:|]

[quote user="Willmeister"]Wes has hardly played recently. Redmond did more in 15 minutes against Palace than either than Naismith or Jarvis. My argument is not that Redmond is the second Messiah, but he is better than either of those two.[/quote]No he didn''t.  On his day he may well be, but we haven''t seen ''his day'' for some time which is probably why he hasn''t been selected and allowing for his injury.

Yes Julian, I suppose that Jarvis did get an assist v West Brom. I think you''ll find that Jarvis was only on the field for one of the goals v Newcastle as well...

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Willmeister"]I agree Julian that Jarvis wasn''t as bad as Naismith, but Jarvis has no final ball. He works hard, but he''s not going to create us chances.

Please can you give me some examples when either have played well? I really can''t remember.[/quote]When the last time Redmond or Hoolahan played well before today?  No I can''t remember either.[/quote]

We against Chelsea at home was outstanding, on a par with Hazard. He also recently starred for Ireland. In between he''s hardly had a look in because our idiot manager continually drops him.

[quote user="Willmeister"]Yes Julian, I suppose that Jarvis did get an assist v West Brom. I think you''ll find that Jarvis was only on the field for one of the goals v Newcastle as well...[/quote]Two. Jarvis went off in the 75th minute straight after Mbokani put us in the lead in the 74th - then Newcastle equalised and looked like winning until Olsson bagged the winner in the dying seconds.

I though starting team was about right after last few games, Naismith looked good with Mbokani against Newcastle, but spent most of his time on his knees today always looking for a foul / pen, Should have come off at half time, but in truth, after the first 25 minutes we were woeful.

Redmond and Wes were benched to give us defensive stability in the opening hour ... no use losing the game in the first half. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The penalty changed the game.

We had to go for it more in the second half and Sunderland simply picked us off.

Agree about Jarvis. Why that man started in a crucial home game I have no idea. I can totally understand starting Naismith; often works well with Mbokani and more of a goal threat.

Not starting Redmond and also the tactics when not in possession were abysmal; it''s like AN hasn''t even done any research on how Sunderland play. Should be disappointed in himself for that.

Jarvis'' delivery at Selhurst Park was awful last week, and he clearly cannot play on the right wing, his crossing is weak, if he takes in first time or has to cut back onto his left.

If Redmond is fully fit and was overlooked for Jarvis on the right, it is frankly ridiculous, particulaly when Sunderlands have weak defensive full backs.

However to the compound that by when finally bringing Redmond on at half time and taking Brady off instead of Jarvis is unbelievable.

I was prepared to give Neil the benefit of the doubt by assuming that Brady must be injured ....but I''ve just learned it was "tactical" ?!?!?!?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Jarvis'' delivery at Selhurst Park was awful last week, and he clearly cannot play on the right wing, his crossing is weak, if he takes in first time or has to cut back onto his left.

If Redmond is fully fit and was overlooked for Jarvis on the right, it is frankly ridiculous, particulaly when Sunderlands have weak defensive full backs.

However to the compound that by when finally bringing Redmond on at half time and taking Brady off instead of Jarvis is unbelievable.

I was prepared to give Neil the benefit of the doubt by assuming that Brady must be injured ....but I''ve just learned it was "tactical" ?!?!?!?!?[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="julian hudson"]Nope - AN was right to start the same eleven (apart from Klose, unfortunately) today. About the only thing he got right.[/quote]

It was abundantly clear from very early on that it was a game crying out for Wes and/or Redmond so I struggle to see why you think he got the selection right? Naismith looks likely to rival RVW in the worst signings stakes.[/quote]

No several posters pointed out at the time that Harry Kane was the worse player to ever put on a Norwich shirt.

I have been one of ANs critics this season but i do not think he could have done much different today with the playing staff available. We were undone by a better experienced manager and a robust team who wanted it more today. The scoreline flattered Sunderland and we maybe did not get the rub of the green with the decisions but we deserved to lose and alas the lack of quality and character in this Norwich side shone through today. It is no coincidence that we have lost so often to bottom 8 sides

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Agree about Jarvis. Why that man started in a crucial home game I have no idea. I can totally understand starting Naismith; often works well with Mbokani and more of a goal threat.

Not starting Redmond and also the tactics when not in possession were abysmal; it''s like AN hasn''t even done any research on how Sunderland play. Should be disappointed in himself for that.[/quote]Jarvis played against Man City, WBA & Newcastle - we garnered 7 points from those three successive matches; something we''ve failed previously to emulate all season - so we then lose narrowly to Palace (Klose''s injury had a lot to do with that) and you people seriously suggest that Jarvis should be dropped for Sunderland at home!?!It''s like an episode of the Twilight Zone in here.

Jarvis for away matches is logical, but in a key home game that you need to win, yes Redmond for Jarvis is the right thing to do, especially again as Jarvis was $hit whereas Redmond gave us a threat and came closest to scoring.

He''s also our top scorer.

You''ve even got the notion of hindsight now which had we won you could''ve made the point you just did.

But now you look rather silly.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Jarvis for away matches is logical, but in a key home game that you need to win[/quote]The Man C & Newcastle games were home matches [:|][quote user="mrs miggins"]You''ve even got the notion of hindsight now which had we won you could''ve made the point you just did.

But now you look rather silly.[/quote] [8-)]

Jarvis got into a lot of dangerous positions in the first half. In contrast to Brady, who struggled to get involved.  Redmond when he came on looked a threat for a brief period, then disappeared.The ineffective Naismith should have been replaced at half time by Hoolahan. Wes can at least bring others into the game and could have brought Brady back into the match, had he been played centrally.Oh well, it''s gone now. As might our chances of staying up. We will see...

The Man C & Newcastle games were home matches

-----------------------

Didn''t think we won v Man C

Though a good point and the correct decision to play a winger who does actually think about defending.

On the Newcastle win, I thought Jarvis was $hit in that match like today; lots of space but can''t cross for toffee.

Jarvis offers very little, not quick enough or tricky enough to beat a man, not actually that good at crossing and too often drifts and leaves his fullback exposed. He got outpaced by Kaboul in the first half when someone tried to play him in which says a lot.

Will never understand why we felt the need to make this transfer permanent when he''d done nothing to justify it.

[quote user="king canary"]Jarvis offers very little, not quick enough or tricky enough to beat a man, not actually that good at crossing and too often drifts and leaves his fullback exposed. He got outpaced by Kaboul in the first half when someone tried to play him in which says a lot.

Will never understand why we felt the need to make this transfer permanent when he''d done nothing to justify it.[/quote]

"Will never understand why we felt the need to make this transfer permanent when he''d done nothing to justify it."

I think I can answer that......I signing Jarvis permenantly, it freed up one of the two loan slots available from other Premier League clubs, the other being occupied by Wisdom.

.....which enabled us to then sign Bamford, which I''m sure we would all agree looks well worth it !?!?!?!