Sign in to follow this  
Horse Renoir

Marriner the cheat.

I wouild be careful of accusing referees of being corrupt. I doubt they are. But it wouldn''t surprise me if there is a kind of semi-conscious bias at work, given the absurd statistics of not one away penalty in more than five seasons in the Premier League, and precious few at home. One former Premier League referee (it may have been Graham Poll, and apologies if not) admitted - after he had retired, of course - that he was wary of given decisions against Man Utd, home or away, because he feared what Ferguson would say. That was a factor he didn''t consider with other clubs with less frightening managers.With us I suspect we also lack that fear factor. Referees are not intimidated either by whoever the manager is (pretty much by definition they will not be a giant of the game) or the crowd. They are not going to get rubbished in the media the next, because it is only Norwich City. What by common consent was a clear penalty we should have got against Crystal Palace got very little coverage in the national coverage I saw and none of the outrage, including calls for the referee to be disciplined, that will surround a similar mistake that hurts a big club

That''s at least 8 totally biased performances vs us this season Chelsea at home Spurs at home C Palace at home and today spring straight to mind

The PL is a cespit of corruption if we go down almost happier to be away from it. Anyway who doesn''t think its corrupt is totally deluded

I''m confused by your post Militancanary?

in your first sentence you open with "I would be careful of accusing referees of being corrupt"

by the end of your post you finish with..

"The PL is a cespit of corruption if we go down almost happier to be away from it. Anyway who doesn''t think its corrupt is totally deluded" ??!?

,...I won''t howverebe careful...I call it as I see it, referees are bent

]I''m confused by your post Militancanary?

in your first sentence you open with "I would be careful of accusing referees of being corrupt"

by the end of your post you finish with..

"The PL is a cespit of corruption if we go down almost happier to be away from it. Anyway who doesn''t think its corrupt is totally deluded"

That was a quote from Purple Canary

He is a deal more benevolent than me apart from

Taylor and a couple of others they are bent as a nine bob note

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]I thought their penalty was an outrageous decision watching live.

Having seen it on the tv since, I''m afraid the ref got that one right.

We have had more penalties awarded against us (9) than any Premiership team, according to the BBC. So it''s not just a Mariner thing. Possible explanations:

1. A mass conspiracy by all the refs.

2. Subconcious bias by refs who think that "little old Norwich" should surely be conceding a goal round about now, so that challenge must have been a penalty.

3. We''re too open at the back and have a number of players who can''t time a tackle.

There may be something in 2, but I regret that 3 is the likeliest. We''ve also had the fewest awarded, btw (1).[/quote]

I would agree with you if it were not for the number of blatant penalties against us that even the pundits agree should have been given . It is also the way the ref blows without hesitation or any real thought , so many have been soft ones which could have been waved away .

[quote user="AJ"]As awful as his performance was, he isn''t the reason we lost. Sadly we did that part ourselves with 3 abysmal defensive errors.[/quote]

Finally! Someone telling it how it actually is.

We were beaten when the team lineups were announced.

No klose no hope. Also Naismith needs to take up a new sport partnering tom Daley on the 10 metre board

[quote user="militantcanary"]I wouild be careful of accusing referees of being corrupt. I doubt they are. [/quote]

I suspect one day a hacker will prove you wrong, as the Premiership seems to play the same role in the sporting world that Panama plays in international finance.

I sat next to an ex referee today who told me that its a ''job for the boys'' at top level.

Basically if your face fits or you know someone you end up on the pro list.

There are apparently top level referees who barely reffed a sunday morning and were simply fast tracked as they knew someone.

Marriner is cr@p. He is a county ref living the dream.

Whilst we didnt deserve much out of the game i thought marriner looked like Cattermoles dad had decided to take up refereeing

It was disgusting refereeing at this level and had no control on the game. Penalty was correct yet the same challenges on Mbokani not given in and just out the area were given every time in the middle of the park.

I don''t think he was ever going to give us anything from the outset, I do wonder though how much Naismith getting in his face made him less inclined to penalise Sunderland.

I''ve seen Naismiths'' tendency to wind up the opposition as a plus for us in the past, we don''t really have anybody else that does it, today though I think it may have backfired a little.

It doesn''t matter if we winded him up. It doesn''t matter if the players gave him stick. His job is to be, in the face of all of that, impartial. There isn''t a ref in this league that doesn''t bring personal feelings into a refereeing performance that should be as emotionless as a German R2D2.

They are unprofessional, not fit for purpose, and should be replaced with referees that can do their job better.

It seriously won''t be hard to upgrade.

I don''t think it made any difference today - that early tackle on Naismith was worth a yellow card every day of week.

Mariner''s failure to waive it was an early indication of his game plan, the rest of the game merely confirmed it.

[quote user="Buh"]It doesn''t matter if we winded him up. It doesn''t matter if the players gave him stick. His job is to be, in the face of all of that, impartial. There isn''t a ref in this league that doesn''t bring personal feelings into a refereeing performance that should be as emotionless as a German R2D2.

They are unprofessional, not fit for purpose, and should be replaced with referees that can do their job better.

It seriously won''t be hard to upgrade.[/quote]I''d be really interested to hear you elaborate on these points.Which referees should be upgraded? And by whom? Which top Football League referees do you feel are ready to step up, and which Premier League referees should be demoted? Do you believe it is possible for any human being to be completely emotionless in any circumstances, let alone under such extreme pressure? Who are you to judge that referees are ''unprofessional''? Basically, you''re p*ssed off that a bunch of decisions went against us, as am I.Trouble is, in every single game of professional football ever played, there will be individual decisions that both teams feel should have gone in their favour. Weave together a bunch of these ''50/50s'' that you didn''t get, and any referee can become a scapegoat for a decision or a result. We need to man up and admit that we weren''t clinical enough today.I was bloody furious with a lot of the decisions today, by the way, but all this talk of corruption and incompetence is whiney butthurt bullsh*t. My main criticism of Marriner was that if he didn''t think any of our penalty appeals in the second half were penalties, why did he not have the balls to caution any of our players for simulation? The way that our players kept going to ground (Naismith, Mbokani, Bassong), if he didn''t think they were fouls then he should have had the courage to call simulation. To do neither is cowardly.

To answer your question I believe we should sack every elite level referee right now. Today.

We should replace them with people below them but in the incidence that they are or fit for purpose we should get refs from abroad that can hack it and aren''t unprofessional and blatantly biased to the premier league.

The current group of elite referees are either corrupt or massively unprofessional, it''s s fact. If they worked in a factory they''d get sacked for being a danger to themselves and others.

Buh wrote the following post at 2016-04-17 6:19 AM:

The current group of elite referees are either corrupt or massively unprofessional, it''s s fact. If they worked in a factory they''d get sacked for being a danger to themselves and others.

Most of them do work Buh - they may be on the Prem list, and to do so take a career break from their jobs - but they work. EG Kevin Friend is a police Sgt.........they are not guaranteed a place on the elite list, and when on it can get thrown off or demoted (or if they fail the monthly fitness tests).......just as the clown did who reffed our match with palace at home.......and if that happens you need a job.........! From grass roots to the top, they all work. And where would the game be without referees?!

Crabbycanary3 wrote the following post at 2016-04-17 11:29 AM:

Marriner was incompetent and inconsistent, apart from that...........

Name me one referee Crabby who hasn''t been, in a match you have watched this season, and I don''t mean ALL NCFC matches. Unfortunately they are human beings, not robots, and they make mistakes because they give what they, (or their lines person) sees!

Until football turns to technology, this will never change. But do we want that? For me, no, these decisions are part of our beloved game!

Ha ha. I know inconsistent is inconsistent, but if there was an award for ''Hugely Inconsistent'' and ''Hugely Incompetent'' then Andre would have cleaned up.

I have a lot of empathy for Referees (in all sports) but I can''t remember getting so frustrated with anyone more than Marriner yesterday. It wasn''t the occasion that did that to me, it was his display.

Can''t lay the blame totally at Marriner''s door though, as he had ''help'' with his linesmen. For example, how neither of them gave a penalty when Mbokani was wrestled down to the floor by Kaboul, I do not know, you could see Kaboul wanting to try on Mbokani''s shirt from Great Yarmouth

Your questonn about wanting technology, needs to be addressed as this is a multi milllion pound industry, and literally, people''s futures are decided by a person who isn''t as fit , or as sharp, as the other 22 on the pitch. They (refs) need help from the powers that be

[quote user="Buh"]To answer your question I believe we should sack every elite level referee right now. Today.

We should replace them with people below them but in the incidence that they are or fit for purpose we should get refs from abroad that can hack it and aren''t unprofessional and blatantly biased to the premier league.

The current group of elite referees are either corrupt or massively unprofessional, it''s s fact. If they worked in a factory they''d get sacked for being a danger to themselves and others.[/quote]Er... no. What that is, is an opinion.An unsubstantiated, knee-jerk, emotionally loaded opinion.In my opinion.[:)]

Marriner had a lovely tan.....I thought he''d been dipped in a vat of Bisto......(Although, other brands of gravy granules are available).

"I''d be careful of accusing ref''s of being corrupt"

They are. Just another poster said, jobs for the boys, bet they all have a right laugh about all those thousends of people paying to go watch them every week and how much influence they have to shape the results of games. They probably think they''re part of the matchday experience, arrogant to55ers.

Every decision went their way and he didn''t start evening it out until after the 75th minute when the game was over.

The most likely explaination is that as a Villa fan he wants less competition for them in that league next year, but if not that then he''s been bought and paid for. Nobody in the right mind could watch that back again and say otherwise, the penalty against us was about the only decision he got right (or conveniently actually saw) that day. But it was outragious how quickly he rushed over pointing to the spot just a few minutes after watching Jarvis get smashed off the ball in their box. Their defender just smashed him over, made no contact with the ball and the smug POS just laughed and waved it away.

We''re Norwich though, so they''ll sweep the performance under the rug, only talk about the correct penalty against us and flat out lie about his performance like the BT commentators did. We''ve been properly stitched up for about the 10th time this year, I wouldn''t consider being cheated "part of our beloved game" either.

For all you complaining about "corrupt" refs... Jonathan Moss just sent Vardy off for diving (a second yellow). He''s he tied top scorer and Leicester are in first. So much for favoring the big clubs eh?

Huh? What has Leicesters game got to do with us? It''s us that have been completely screwed by these corrupt little hitlers all season. West Ham are a fashionable London club, I''m not surprised at all they get treated ''fairly''. If that was us I''d bet everything I have he wouldn''t have been sent off for diving.

We''re a quiet, sensibly run club that doesn''t attract a lot of interest from neutral fans, doesn''t sign big names and is a bit of a pain to get to. I really don''t think they want us to be part of their product and so have been instructed over the course of each season to treat us harshly to cost us enough points to put us in trouble.

People have been using words like incompetent and inconstancy. Okay, we all know they''re capable of mistakes. I''m looking for an explanation for their complete bias against us in every single game. Why do the 50/50''s always go against us in every game never mind the big decisions. We must end up singing ''you''re not fit to referee'' every game at some point.

...We wouldn''t have got that pen WH have just gotten either. Not a chance in hell

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]We''re a quiet, sensibly run club that doesn''t attract a lot of interest from neutral fans, doesn''t sign big names and is a bit of a pain to get to. I really don''t think they want us to be part of their product and so have been instructed over the course of each season to treat us harshly to cost us enough points to put us in trouble. [/quote]Whether or not we have had more bad decisions against us than other Clubs, and that''s highly debatable, we have still had more than enough opportunities to get enough points to survive. The fact is that week in, week out we have not been good enough at seeing out games when we were in a good position to get either 1 or 3 points..

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]"I''d be careful of accusing ref''s of being corrupt"

They are. Just another poster said, jobs for the boys, bet they all have a right laugh about all those thousends of people paying to go watch them every week and how much influence they have to shape the results of games. They probably think they''re part of the matchday experience, arrogant to55ers.

Every decision went their way and he didn''t start evening it out until after the 75th minute when the game was over.

The most likely explaination is that as a Villa fan he wants less competition for them in that league next year, but if not that then he''s been bought and paid for. Nobody in the right mind could watch that back again and say otherwise, the penalty against us was about the only decision he got right (or conveniently actually saw) that day. But it was outragious how quickly he rushed over pointing to the spot just a few minutes after watching Jarvis get smashed off the ball in their box. Their defender just smashed him over, made no contact with the ball and the smug POS just laughed and waved it away.

We''re Norwich though, so they''ll sweep the performance under the rug, only talk about the correct penalty against us and flat out lie about his performance like the BT commentators did. We''ve been properly stitched up for about the 10th time this year, I wouldn''t consider being cheated "part of our beloved game" either.[/quote]I still don''t believe referees are corrupt. I would need to see evidence of them being paid money to influence games. What I do believe, and it fits the facts of one penalty to 9 against, is that referees are not intimidated by Norwich City (its managers or its fans) in the way they are afraid of bigger clubs with outspoken managers who have national-media journalists on hand to publicise their anger. So referees think twice, which is effectively to chicken out, about awarding decisions against the latter clubs because they know they will be on the end of a media roasting if they get it wrong.

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]I''m looking for an explanation for their complete bias against us in every single game.[/quote]There is no explanation for that, because it doesn''t exist. Your emotions are completely clouding your judgement.

Wish we had John Moss yesterday, it would have been full of penalties and red cards, considering how he refereed the Leicester v West Ham match ! 

I''ve got to agree with Ricky Spanish''s sentiments here, and it''s good that someone''s got the balls to stand up and say what they think on the subject.There''s not too many people who study the stats regarding PL refereeing decisions apart from a professional gambler (footballisfixed), an Arsenal blogger and a couple of others. But the issue is certainly a lot more complicated than which team a referee supports or whether a big club like Chelsea gets decisions over a smaller team.There''s £m''s in tv money, sponsorship, rich & dodgy club owners, league''s and agents competing against each other and a global betting turnover in the order of £1 trillion/year to consider. I''ve heard it said that the Asian betting market is huge and has totally ruined several sports, turning them into something more like a pantomime than a genuine sporting contest.There are notable prior examples of corruption in other major football leagues (Italy''s Serie A being one major example), and certain conditions which make corruption harder to prevent are absent from the PL; eg differing kick off times, one person selecting the referees for each match and a general lack of transparency.Bookmakers aren''t obliged to report suspicious trading on PL games (there has been evidence of such trading presented on the footballisfixed blog) and there''s little regulation in general, at least compared to financial trading.I wouldn''t be too quick to dismiss suspicions that some PL referee''s are bent, and I''d certainly not categorise the issue as a crazy ''conspiracy theory''.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Ricky Spanish"]"I''d be careful of accusing ref''s of being corrupt"

We''re Norwich though, so they''ll sweep the performance under the rug, only talk about the correct penalty against us and flat out lie about his performance like the BT commentators did. We''ve been properly stitched up for about the 10th time this year, I wouldn''t consider being cheated "part of our beloved game" either.[/quote]I still don''t believe referees are corrupt. I would need to see evidence of them being paid money to influence games. What I do believe, and it fits the facts of one penalty to 9 against, is that referees are not intimidated by Norwich City (its managers or its fans) in the way they are afraid of bigger clubs with outspoken managers who have national-media journalists on hand to publicise their anger. So referees think twice, which is effectively to chicken out, about awarding decisions against the latter clubs because they know they will be on the end of a media roasting if they get it wrong.[/quote]

You may be right but apparently don''t consider it corrupt that high profile ''professional'' individuals ''chicken out'' whilst doing their well paid jobs and make decisions which cost other people their livelihoods whilst pretending that these decisions are impartial and correct.

Add to this that the regulatory bodies are well aware of this (after all its proved every week on TV) and take no action - that to me is corrupt.