Sign in to follow this  
Berks canary

Delia - Get your head out of the sand !

I have to say i am shocked by the Delia statement last night . Shocked that she seems to have her head buried firmly in the sand refusing to acknowledge the shambles that pervades Carrow Road but also shocked by her comments which insult the supporters intelligence.

" A good manager doesn''t become a bad one overnight " - Agree with you Delia . So Nigel''s record is 11 wins in last 53 league games . When was overnight ? 53 games ago ??

She quotes 6 - 7 injuries that are absolutely key to the success . Who of those currently injured would get into the side ? Two , Safri and Drury . Safri was the key injury i agree , but one which could and should have been totally avoided if the club had reminded him who paid his wages and stopped him travelling to Morocco and making a minor injury into a 7 games missed one . Are we the only club to have endured injuries in this division ?? - i think not . Have we the smallest squad ? I think not . No its down to basic bad decisions like playing a Premiership full back in midfield and a midfielder at full back and wondering why we concede 7 goals in two games.

" It''s difficult to motivate a relegated team " - Yes , maybe for a short while i think we all would accept that - But as Palace and Soton have proved this should not last 15 games . Why is it that only Norwich players cannot be motivated ????

It seems Delia we are without hope as you clearly cannot see the wood from the trees . Or is this just a fudge as you and the rest of the board pray that we start winning . Shouldn''t you be really be telling us the truth ie  " Look fans , sorry but we gave Nigel a new contract last year and we are not prepared to pay him off as it will cost too much , so let''s just hope things turn around eh "

The point is Delia we just don''t have the time - Come January when Ashton , Green , Safri and maybe even Huckerby decide to cut their losses with NCFC we will be left with a squad which is going one way - into the 1st division . Delia , get your head out of the sand and please act now before it''s too late.

I agree with virtually everything.

The writing has been on the wall for a long while, with poor transfer acquisitions for the past two summers at least, strange team selection, the absence of obvious tactics and substitutions which have defied understanding.

Many of us are angry, because we could see it coming, especially when the manager said about three months ago that he was happy with the size and quality of the squad. This was reinforced by poor pre-season performance.

If the Manager was constrained by a small budget due to financial prudence, then Delia and Co. have to accept some responsibility, but the fact remains that over this summer some poor signings were made, some good players were missed and a terrible risk was accepted over the squad size. Several of us pointed out months ago that even a few injuries would reduce our effectivness dangerously.

I totally agree with Berks Cannary. I  did not believe it possible to be so dispondent following last weeks debacle, but having read Delias message I am even more totally bewildered and thoroughly depressed. If she cannot see that the problems lie firmly at Mr Worthington''s door then there really is no hope or future for this club. He made a complete hash of last season; there is no excuse for starting that campaign with a diminutive full back replacing Malky Macky and not acquiring a quality striker until January; the rest unfortunately is history and here we go again plummeting down a very ordinary league and being thrashed by the likes of Lutin & QPR who were in the third division last year. Unless she comes to her senses soon it will be too late and we can look forward to division three football next year!

the problem with "auntie Delia" is that shes to onice... she isnt a business woman and really shouldnt be on the board.. her husband and the other directors are the business lot... they tread carefully so as not to upset, "nice dear kind Delia" and not to make her cry....

Its all going to end in tears for her.... i expect her to appear on the pitch again before long, not to go into a drunken rant but to "appeal to the kind hearts of supporters" dont do it Delia!!!! this isnt Hollywood and there are no happy endings in football.

jas

[quote]I have to say i am shocked by the Delia statement last night . Shocked that she seems to have her head buried firmly in the sand refusing to acknowledge the shambles that pervades Carrow Road but also...[/quote]

Shouldn''t you be really be telling us the truth ie  " Look fans , sorry but we gave Nigel a new contract last year and we are not prepared to pay him off as it will cost too much , so let''s just hope things turn around eh "

I think the above just about hits the nail on the head. The only way for worthy to go is if he walks out on his own.

Well said Berks canary and spot on. Worthington seems to have lost the plot completely last season we saw Henderson played in front of Bentley this season in front of Marney. Last season saw Helveg not ready to play for Norwich but ready to captain his country and perform reasonably well whilst Holt was preferred beforev Saffri. Had Fleming been dropped last season we might have still been in the Premiership but favouritism is the preferred choice.

Worthington has not become a bad manager overnight he is a very average manager tactically inept who had a lucky season inspired by Huckerby. To class him as a good manager and disregard the supporters could be folly.

But lets not forget it was Delia who wanted Hamilton. Perhaps a quick word for Mr Mumby dont listen to intently to what Worthington has to say at the AGM more a little of what you are demanding of an underperforming manager.  

Unfortunately Worthy will not walk away Deano , as he will be walking away from a lot of money . No i''m afraid we are stuck with a board who won''t pay him off , and with a manager who won''t walk . Quite depressing outlook really !

I agree entirely.

One injury in midfield and the whole thing has collapsed.

This is Worthington''s squad. He has had enough money and enough time to have put together a group of players that should be highly competitive in this league, even if a few players are unavailable.

The problem does indeed go back to last summer and the poor transfer dealings then. We have missed out on a golden opportunity to re-establish the club in the Premier league, or at the very least end up with one of the best young and improving squads in the Championship.

We now end up in 18th place, about 3 points off relegation, massively in debt, and trying to patch the team up with pretty desperate short-term loan signings.  

Just to sum up the weak and unbalanced nature of this squad: when did we last sign a permanent right midfielder? Wasn''t it Rivers in 2001?

I too was gutted by Delia''s statement, and the injuries thing is wearing pretty thin, of those out, come on, how many are really first choice players?  Safri is injured but would be missing through Ramadan anyway, as previously stated by the club, he wouldn''t have been considered for selection.  Only Drury is a first team regular, Thorne is not first choice, and Shackell and Fleming (until recently) were dropped.  That leaves McKenzie who has been injuried for ages.

Hucktastic, I was under the impression Rivers was a striker at Crewe!

IMO where Nigel fell down was the close season (not taking into account last seasons''s follies), where he waited too long to go in for anyone, as he stated to save paying someone to be on holiday!  Gosh, even us plebs get holiday pay   No, we missed out on the cream of the crop in the close season - and coupled with bad team selections, his overall tactical philosophy and not being able to motivate the players now, we are in serious trouble.  What does it take to motivate players?  Shouldn''t they want to return to the Premiership, or those that didn''t experience it, shouldn''t they want to be there?  Seems other teams do.

If the board are really genuinely considering keeping him despite the warning signs I wonder if they have any contingency plans should we sink to the division below.